Author Topic: corkscrew in lancs  (Read 356 times)

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
corkscrew in lancs
« on: November 04, 2002, 05:07:19 PM »
how do you do it?

(prefer diagrams, i'm a visual learner)

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
corkscrew in lancs
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2002, 11:01:23 PM »
all you gotta do is drop your left flaps then chop the other side's engines then roll it hard

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
corkscrew in lancs
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2002, 12:59:36 PM »
corkscrew in a lanc...hmm first your gonna need to be several k above the ground so that iif you mess up you can fix your idiocy

then your gonna need lots of luck

then do what bokklo said

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
corkscrew in lancs
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2002, 05:27:03 AM »
The historic 'Lancaster Corkscrew Evasive', put simply, does not work in Aces High.
Primarily, the reason for this is that we generally fly in 'daylight', the Lancs that used corckscrews as an evasive allmost invariably did so at night, where by quickly changing altitude and direction of flight, it was possible to slip away into the darkness and evade your persuer.
Here, in Aces High, it doesnt really matter if you suddenly bank and spiral down several thousand feet, the con just is NOT going to lose sight of your big red neon LANC sign.
Infact, all a corckscrew is likely to do for you here, is get you killed, because you lose a lot of alt that is very difficult to regain in a heavy bomber like the Lancaster.

A better evasive tactic in AH Lancs is to bank one way or the other and turn so that you can bring your top turret, as well as your tail turret to bare on the target.
Historically, the Brits discovered quite early in the war that daylight bombing over occupied Europe was virtually suicidal, the Lanc earned it's tremendous reputation as a night bomber.
The same holds pretty much true here, in daylight, over enemy territory, you really cant hold much hope for a Lanc to survive, unless the enemy fighter boys are real busy elsewhere.

Sorry to break it to you like this, but thats pretty much the way of it.

Blue

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
corkscrew in lancs
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2002, 07:44:59 AM »
i know its an evasive thing

I will most likely will not use it, its just something i want to know how to do.

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
corkscrew in lancs
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2002, 12:15:01 AM »
A Corckscrew is simply a violent spiral dive.

Full left rudder, bank left and pull back on stick, but keep nose well below horizon.

Thats about it, you could, of course, spiral right instead of left.

Blue