Author Topic: '80s BMWs...worth a look?  (Read 428 times)

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
'80s BMWs...worth a look?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2002, 06:30:43 PM »
The same price problem hits you with used cars.  I drive a stunning 93 Olds Cutlass Ciera S; must have cost 14k new.  Now it's worth something like $1400.  A similar priced and mileage civic is now worth $6200.
Now, the crappy used cars are not gonna take that much more in maintenance.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
'80s BMWs...worth a look?
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2002, 12:46:34 PM »
Stock - already got enough of it and its gone fast alright - but in the wrong direction.

I prefer to put my mad money in durable goods with near-instant returns...such as a sports car.

I actually started looking at the Porsche line before making the jump to BMW.  A Porsche is like a warbird - you can get them cheap (relatively speaking) but the maintenance will kill you if you don't have a steady source of funding for it.  I figured there are a lot more BMWs running around than Porsches, and hence used parts might be easier to find.

My plan is to get into a car for $5,000 or less, then spend another $7,000 over the next few months getting it dressed: intake and exhaust mods first with aftermarket brakes, rims and tires.  Then, after the winter, strip the interior of nonessentials and install a rollbar, then a new coat of paint in time for my pilgrimmage to Sebring.  I won't race it (don't want the hassle of trying to meet specs), but I want it to look like its almost race-ready, but still street-legal.

Looking at the long-term picture, I'm starting to favor a Miata.  I could accomplish with a Miata what I want with a much lower bill than I would with a Porsche or BMW.  And a retro-style paint scheme would look pretty good on it; maybe overall white with two blue racing stripes offcenter on the driver's side.

I'm in no real rush.  I may change my mind about this whole sports car thing after the corporate quarterly reports are done and my continued employment is a bit more stable.