Author Topic: '80s BMWs...worth a look?  (Read 427 times)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
'80s BMWs...worth a look?
« on: November 08, 2002, 12:15:33 PM »
I've come into some money and am looking for something fun to drive on weekends.  I don't want to go any higher than $5,000 on a "toy" car.  I've found a couple of late-80s BMW 325-series cars that look promising.  Generally, how reliable are they as opposed to something like a Miata or Integra?

My main vehicle is my prized 1998 Toyota 4runner, but sometimes I just feel like driving something lighter that will scoot.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2002, 12:18:38 PM »
I just picked up a 1987 Saab 900 Turbo a few months ago and love it. Might want to look around for one. You can usually pick em up for a few grand. It's pretty comfortable and has some nice git up n' go :)

From everything I've heard, they last for 200-300k miles. MIne has 75k miles on it and I only paid $1400 for it. Sunroof, turbo, power everything, heated seats, etc.

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2002, 01:45:59 PM »
In my opinion you would do well with a properly maintained older japanese model for long term maintenence cost efficency. European parts & service tend to be higher in costs.  Of course the higher up on the luxury scale you go will cost you more money (luxury sport trend).  Overall I would say japanese cars are less expensive to maintain than european, but there will always be exeptions to the rule. Drive em all- if yer a big guy make sure yer gonna be comfotable in it for a 2-3 hour drive.
 I got a great deal on a MR2 but couldnt stand to drive it for more than an hour or so.  Get a color ya like on a car ya fit in, & has been takin care of. If the owner took care of it ther will be records of such as well as visual evidence. Have fun!
Anton

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2002, 02:18:45 PM »
Yeah I think once something goes wrong you will end up paying more than the car is worth to get it fixed.  I don't know if those 3-series break more or less than Japanese cars but I do know that they cost more to fix.

The last generation Integra is a real sweet car.  My ex-g/f and dad had them and they held up real well.

One thing with Hondas is that if the owner has flogged them they can use a little oil.  It's worth taking your prospective purchase into a mechanic to get a compression test.  Other than that they are bulletproof.

For ultimate reliability what you want is a Toyota.  They are built like tanks.  A little heavier and more sluggish than a Honda but they don't break.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2002, 02:39:56 PM »
BMWs have the reputation of being fine cars but without the engine endurance of comparable luxury automobiles.  I dunno whether it's justified or not, but in my experience you could always spot a 3+ yr old beemer on the autobahn by the puff of black smoke she left shifting gears.  European Taxidrivers outside of Bavaria drive Benzs for a reason.

and if you're getting used, get a normally aspirated automobile.  YOu can tellme your turbosupercharged engine will last 300k miles, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2002, 02:52:32 PM »
Hey, you should check out the Miata's.  Their great cars..good ride and loves curves. 5 grand can get you a one in good condition.  Parts are cheap..and so are add on's..

Theres lots of clubs here in FL to hook up with as well.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2002, 03:29:54 PM »
I was really favoring something with a rear-wheel drive for the balance it provides, hence the BMW 325 series.  BMW also has a strong racing legacy, which was what attracted me to them in the first place.  Y'all are right about the mechanical expenses - forgot about how much those German machines can cost to keep due to their tight maintenance specs.  They also tend to come with leather seats and cd players - two things I don't really care about in a sports car - and jack up the purchase price.  I'm more focused on power and weight than I am about comfort.   I plan to replace the stock seat with a racing seat anyway.  I know BMW has a good perfomance upgrade path and the 325 series was the right size for me.  

A Miata was my second choice, but the early models were more of a machine designed for handling rather than acceleration.  The convertible top makes me question the stiffness of the body and how it would affect handling around a turn.  Then again, Shelby AC Cobras were convertible and they turned a decent track time.

The Integra was my default choice if I couldn't come up with anything better.  I know they have good accelleration and handling and a great rep for upgrades and endurance, but a FWD machine...I don't know.  They just don't really have that certain flair of a sports car.

The late '80s/early '90s Toyota Celicas were heavy and not much for accelleration.  They look good but were certainly not intended for the serious performance enthusiast.  I think they were intended to be driven by women.

I'm not even considering the used Mustangs and Camaro/Firebirds.  Those things fall apart too quickly.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2002, 03:33:09 PM by gofaster »

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2002, 03:32:38 PM »
Turbos can last 500.000miles or they can be ruined in 500miles, it's just how the former owner has taken care of the car.
Anyway changeing turbo is not that expensive if it's only new part your car needs, price is about same what new camshaft cost to my old BMW.

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2002, 03:52:00 PM »
look into an early 70s Rolls - unless they've begun to aquire antique valus, they might be in your range - very high quality vehicles

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2002, 04:44:33 PM »
Have you looked into an old Porsche?  Depending on your preference in engine cooling and location, if you up your allowence some, you can grab up a wonderful car that was made for the sole purpose of driving pleasure.  

Options include:

Early 911 (pre-78 911SC) - these can be found in good condition anywhere from $6,000 to $12,000 depending on the submodel (E, S, etc).  I would avoid the 2.7L engines - they have problems I wont go into here - but the 2.4's are fun as hell.  Maintenence is not a big deal on these cars - with the exception if the 2.7L engine, it is not uncommen to see, say a 3.0L SC engine with over 400,000 miles on it and no major work.  The 911 is a love/hate relationship tho - you can do amazing things in the car with the rear mounted engine, but for a novice, trailing throttle oversteer can be a lesson learned by check.  That said - there is nothing - absolutely NOTHING like the sound of a flat six behind you... for me, driving these cars is almost as good as sex... and she's pretty good.

924/944 - These, the normally aspirated versions of the four cylinder water pumpers are great cars.  They are cheap to find - $2,000 for an early 924 to say $7-8,000 for a late 80's 944 S.  They are perfectly balanced 50/50 (front engine, rear trans) and carry all the other P-car charectaristics - braking, "connected feeling" etc.  The downside is the maintenence costs.  These cars are expensive to maintain and have a few problem areas that need constant attention (timing/counter-balance belts)  These cars are easy to drive fast with complete confidence by anyone.

Mid year 911's and late 951/952/944S2's - If you are looking to spend a tad more - you can look into a 78-83 911SC.  These are the cars with the 3.0L engine that is generally refered to as "bulletproof" (see comment above regarding mileage).  Figure on spending between $10,000 and $15,000 for one of these in good condition.  An 84-89 911 Carrera is again, more expensive, but carries just as much fun in a slightly newer package with a DME controlled 3.2L engine.  Figure on finding an example in good condition between $15,000 and $25,000 - model year 87 and after are desireable because of the G50 trans and command a higher price.

The 951/952/944S2's are the second to last incarnation of the 4 banger water pumper (968 being the last).  The 951 (944 Turbo) was faster than the 911 of the same year, was actually priced higher, and is the best performance bang for your buck you can find today.  It has the same perfect handling charectaristics as the 944, but on 12PSI of boost stock, the power is increased dramaticly.  The 944S2 is the ultimate incarnation of the normally aspirated 944.  The 16 valve engine is great for daily driving as the engine response is immediate - no turbo lag - and a flat tourque curve.  The 952 (944 Turbo S) was only offered in 1988 under that name - but in 1989, the last year of the Turbo in the US (Europe had the car until 1991) the "standard" 944 Turbo was actually the same car as the 88 S model (this pissed off alot of S owners, but thats besides the point).  Expect to pay between $5000 for a beat up example of an 86 (first year in US) 944 Turbo and up to $20,000 for an absoluetly mint, 10,000 mile 88 Turbo S.  Realisticaly, you can find an excellent condition 87 or 88 Turbo for around $10,000 nowadays.

If this interests you at all, let me know if you need any help or have any questions - were always looking for converts.  :D   Bottom line is that for what youre looking for, you cant do any better than this - plus, you get waves from the new 996 owners.  :D

Try this link for a wealth of info:

http://www.rennlist.com

Just click and drag down "Web Forums" from the upper right corner.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2002, 05:25:50 PM by Saurdaukar »

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2002, 05:06:51 PM »
Here are a couple examples - this is a 1973 911T - the owner of this car swapped out the stock engine for a 3.6L 993 engine!  :eek:

This is a post-73 model (74 I think, but Im not positive) - notice the difference in the front bumper when compared to the black car - US bumber regulations forced this.

Here is an example of a 944 Turbo - this one is an 86.  Dont mind the pretend sports car next to it.  :D

Same pair:

In cab form:

Here is a 944 - non Turbo.  Notice the difference in the bumper when compared to the 951.

This is an 86 951 - near perfect condition - this would probably fetch about $11-12,000 in stock form.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2002, 05:16:25 PM by Saurdaukar »

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2002, 05:31:57 PM »
As an owner of a Miata. The stock body is pretty stiff, you have to keep in mind this car was designed ground up as a drop top (new tops are cheap too @$350). If you go with the newer 90's style with the 1.8L you benifit from the bigger motor. If chassis stiffness is an issue it can be fix with a few minor mod's less then 500 dollars. Power mod's are also inexpensive and do work on these motors. (A few daily drivers with converted turbo pushing 200 plus.)

Porsche make me shudder like a old BMW. 928/944's maybe cheap..it its not well maintained your looking at a nightmare. 911's w/2.4L Jump on one if they a good maintence log.

Saurd has very good points on the Porsche's..If you want to look into a Miata..let me know I can give you some points to look at on them.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2002, 05:43:55 PM »
Forget the car for now dude..anything that costs $5,000 now...will inevitably cost you that much again in a few years on repairs etc.

Take that cash and buy some Ratheon stock...currently trading at about $29/share.  

I estimate that it will be about 6 months to a year before the shooting starts in Iraq.  The US is gonna use alot of Tomahawks and other weapons/components supplied by this company.  

Within a year you could buy a new BMW.

Mark my words.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2002, 05:46:00 PM by Curval »
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2002, 05:58:26 PM »
you're not the only one with these types of thoughts about Ratheon.  that being the case, a large fraction of the expected war profits are already built into the stock price and there is a huge downside if there isn't war.
get long term oil futures

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2002, 06:09:23 PM »
Originally posted by whgates3
you're not the only one with these types of thoughts about Ratheon.  that being the case, a large fraction of the expected war profits are already built into the stock price and there is a huge downside if there isn't war.
get long term oil futures

Ratheon peaked right after Sept 11 at about $45/share...the same hype is going to happen again.  It just depends on when you buy...and when you sell...and on whether or not you have the "nads" to take a chance.

Gofaster just had a windfall...given the relative low price and the anticipation that the US will attack I think he would do well.

It is just my opinion...I take no responsibility if it tanks.

We'll see though man...I'll bet that it goes over $50 in the next 6 months.  Interested?

If I lose I will fly an aircraft of your choice for a tour...if you lose I choose your ride.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain