Author Topic: Rear View Mirrors  (Read 553 times)

Offline VFJACKAL

• Copper Member
Rear View Mirrors
« on: November 08, 2002, 06:30:57 PM »
Im just wondering why the planes that had them in WW2 don't Have them in this sim. NASCAR 2K2 has them (and they work).  Just wondering if it was a hard ting to do.   Thanks:)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2002, 07:38:15 PM »
Because they're largely useless.

Look in your auttomobile's right-hand mirror sometimes at an object that's about 500 yards away (1500 feet or about 1/4 mile)....so small you can hardly see it, just a speck.

THIS is what you'd usually see in an AH rearview mirror:

IF the plane was a little closer, you might see a:

_

But that's about it.   Mirrors work for driving games because the distances involved are very short.  So yes AH could do it (and probably will sooner or later) but there'd be little practical benefit.

J_A_B

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2002, 07:47:45 PM »
Didn't the hog in AW have a rear view mirror? Can't remember... seems to me something did
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline VFJACKAL

• Copper Member
Okey Dokey
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2002, 07:52:02 PM »
Thanks Fellas.....all I needed to know...appreciate it.:)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2002, 10:24:02 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
Didn't the hog in AW have a rear view mirror? Can't remember... seems to me something did

a non functional one.  the spit had one where your six view was the "mirror."

i think.... hehe been so long since i flew an aw spit.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2002, 10:28:21 PM »
the spit had one where your six view was the "mirror."

As did the F6F.:)

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2002, 10:59:41 PM »
Mirror eats your FR very much.

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2002, 11:10:22 PM »
When I had Lunch with "Dutch" Miller,   he was commenting on the lack of Mirrors.  

He said also commented on the frame work of the P-38 being much more obstructive seeming that in Real lift.  

But He really thought the Lack of Mirrors was downer.  He felt it was a huge oversight to not have them there.  

For those that dont know Dutch, He flew P39s, P38s, P47s, P51s, AD-1s and a few more that I dont know about.  His carrer started at the begining of WW2 and lasted thru Vietnam.  

A fine Gentlemen, Old AW Pilot and Sometimes AH Pilot.

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2002, 12:04:34 AM »
The Spits did have a Rear View mirror over the cockpit, but pilots said it vibrated so much you couldn't see anything in it anyway.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2002, 12:51:03 AM »
I asked a Spit ace (Jerry Collinsworth) about the mirror once and he told me that the mirror was useful on the ground and for formation flying, but not useful for spotting the enemy.

Offline Corrs

• Silver Member
      • TAC Drivers
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2002, 02:18:35 AM »
Originally posted by Mitsu
Mirror eats your FR very much.

:eek: YIKES!!! My FR's are bad enough, if they put mirrors in before I get a new system, my FR's will be like ummm, 2 if I am lucky.......
Corrs
The Flying Circus
Head of The Flying Circus Numbnutz Clown Union since 2000
FSO 334th FS Corrs's Nose Art
WARNING: Keep smiley's out of reach of Corrs

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2002, 03:39:42 AM »
"The Dweeb in the Mirror is closer than it Appears"

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2002, 07:24:41 AM »
according to spit pilots, using the rear view mirror was a good way to get killed quickly.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2002, 07:26:16 AM »
according to B17 pilots, using the rear view mirror was a good way to get killed quickly.

Offline phaetn

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2002, 07:49:45 AM »
TK's latest flight sim (the developer of EAW, by the way) is a 1960s era jet sim.  Flyable are the F-4, Phantom F-104 Starfighter and others.  The reason I bring it up is that it has mirrors on the cockpits, and they work really well.

A mirror WILL NOT save you from a bogey on your six that you didn't know about, because by the time you see it you're toast.  

It does add a lot to immersion, and a sense of 3d space, however, since you see ground objects, or the horizon, or clouds and other things reflected in it.  Especially in AH, when there are often periods where all you see from the forward view or 45 degree up view is blue sky, also seeing the location of the horizon in a reflection, or how quickly the landscape is scrolling past, would be helpful.  In TK's Strike Fighters: Project 1, there are a lot of vapour trails so it's helpful for spotting those, too.

While there is a hit to framerates, it's not the old days where Voodoo1s were struggling to show the forward view with full details in GPL, and then enabling the mirrors made it a slide show.  Video cards have buckets of processing power and texture memory compared to back then, and it could be implemented easily.  Of course, they could be a user option.

FWIW, I liked the direct 6 view as looking up in the mirror in Spits in AW.  While I didn't play AW much at all, that was one aspect that I really found kind of neat.  They got around the frame rate hit by not rendering two different scenes on the same display (i.e. one couldn't see around the mirror, it only showed the reflection).  It was a clever, low-tech application, that dealt with the "Linda Blair" dead-six view that many don't like.

Cheers,
phaetn