Author Topic: Motorcycle info  (Read 256 times)

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Motorcycle info
« on: November 09, 2002, 03:41:34 PM »
Some interesting stuff for you cycle 'motorheads' out there  :)

http://www.mototuneusa.com/future_horsepower.htm
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
Motorcycle info
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2002, 08:08:22 PM »
interesting.....wonder if it applys to all bikes or just the super sports? (the break in 'trick')

i've been interested in the yamaha warrior, would hate to ruin a $12K bike..then again, if it does screw it up , it's under warranty.

wonder what moto mechanics think of those articles....anyone here a moto-mechanic??

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Motorcycle info
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2002, 09:14:51 PM »
I managed to scan through the first half of the page. It reminded me of the same hype touted in get rich quick schemes. Lots of words but no information. It's designed to get you interested and send money. I saw nothing, including the "break in trick" that has any merit for gaining HP in an engine.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Motorcycle info
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2002, 10:51:28 PM »
I've been subscribing and it's been free all along.
A lot of interesting articles.
I've never been asked to send in money for anything.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Motorcycle info
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2002, 12:02:22 AM »
You gotta admit, the site has a sort of http://timecube.com/ quality to it.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
Motorcycle info
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2002, 12:39:00 AM »
That's the one thing I really want to do...and that's ride a motorcycle.

My parents have been a major Harley-Davidson fans, and when my dad had one (it was a Harley Sportster or something...I don't know exactly. He told me once that the engine was a racing engine crammed on the frame, and that the first time he'd dump the bike while riding he'd kill himself, which is why he sold it) and he rode it for a while. I've always wanted to ride one, but I'm too afraid to get the certification with all the kooks on the road.

While I like Harleys, I tihnk they ride too rough...and the vibration while at highway speed is rather unnerving. I'd prefer something from Yamaha or Honda, a sleek bike with some get up and go.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Motorcycle info
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2002, 08:05:35 AM »
I've got an R6 like this fella says he tested on.......and the 'running in trick' is just to thrash the balls off the bike from new instead of following Yamaha's running in proceedure, in other words there isnt a running in proceedure any more.  It's widely known in GB and was even tested in Performance Bikes magazine, however the bike will use copious amounts of oil for the first 1500 miles.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Motorcycle info
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2002, 01:53:35 PM »
"I'd prefer something from Yamaha or Honda, a sleek bike with some get up and go."

Price a 1969 jap crap of your choice.  Then price a 1969 Harley.

My old shovel is worth 6 times what I paid for it.  And the motor has 200 thousand miles on it. And ya, it still leaks.

My old stock, rat will do 120 to this day.  How fast is the speed limit where you live?

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Motorcycle info
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2002, 03:48:35 PM »
Germany is just over the border from where I park up, no limits on autobahns and mine will do 165......and I dont really care that it'll never be worth what I paid for it, I'll just buy a new one thanks.

But then again......Harleys are cool.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Motorcycle info
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2002, 09:01:32 PM »
Easymo, checking prices from 1969 are fine if you're buying the motorcycle as an investment, but if, like most people, you're buying a motorcycle to RIDE, then there are a lot of advantages to a smooth, reliable ride.  New Harleys and plenty of other brands have this quality.  Kawasaki and Yamaha have 'out-harleyed' Harley Davidson and surpassed them with their recent cruisers.  You should check out some of the new bikes they offer, especially the 6 cylinder beasts that are getting popular.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
Motorcycle info
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2002, 09:12:48 PM »
Although I am a Yamaha freak ( I ride a 250yz ) If I were to buy a crotch rocket , it would be a Susucky  ,, they are rated real high amoungest the super bikes kids .
I rode my brothers 650 and it was a screamer compaired to my 1969 500 Kaw 3 cylinder

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Motorcycle info
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2002, 10:42:44 PM »
"Easymo, checking prices from 1969 are fine if you're buying the motorcycle as an investment, but if, like most people, you're buying a motorcycle to RIDE"

I have had both, for 17 years.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Motorcycle info
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2002, 10:50:24 PM »
PS, I ride a Suzuki Bandit 1200.  I also own a 1975 Honda CB-750.

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
Motorcycle info
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2002, 10:05:57 AM »
not to spur on any of ripsnots BMW posts, but my dad just bought a BMW R1150R..... man, what a ride....great bike.

what i find confusing is that the guy from mototuneusa, actually showed what he is calling "proof" of his break vs. factory break in. Now lets say this was "factual" proof.

Where is the factual proof of the other statement on the factory break in? I mean i understand all the stuff about the peaks and oil and blah blah, but where is the proof of that? In reading, all we have to go on is no more than what the mototuneusa guy has stated.

I'm guessing the only "real" way to find out would be to purchase 2 identicle bikes and do the break-in, in a controlled "scientific" manner.

wouldn't that settle it?

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Motorcycle info
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2002, 10:19:41 AM »
Or you could just buy the back issue of Performance Bikes where they tested 2 R6s side by side......