Author Topic: Rear View Mirrors  (Read 552 times)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2002, 08:53:19 AM »
Why did the USAF pilots go out of their way to add Spt mirrors to Ponys and Jugs then...

I think Grimm was saying that the real pilot found the canopy  frame work in AH more restrictive then in the real planes. I think he must be right. It probably was more realistic befor they started swiching icons off behind the frame work.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2002, 09:12:05 AM »
pilots I talked to said that mirrors were very useful.   The Corsair had 3 of em.   Most U.S. planes had em.
lazs

Offline phaetn

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2002, 09:46:05 AM »
Comments and images hijacked from my post in this thread.

------
HOLY CRAP!

Looking at Pyro's post (that I had responded to) I had assumed that this was a relatively new thread.

Looking at the date, though, he posted that in Nov. 2000.  TWO YEARS ago.  Yikes!!!!  Vid cards and CPUs have advanced a lot even since that post.  The "good while" he was talking about could well have easily passed by now, no?

DamnedCM, what the hell were you doing digging this up from the bowels of the earth? ;)  Seriously, its contents are no longer relevant in the current context of AH.

Creamo, it needn't be a hat switch/unrealism feature.  It would be integrated into current views.  That way you see both what's ahead (not blocked by the mirror) and what's reflected.  I'm not suggesting the AW implementation at all, but a much  more realistic one now that we have the horsepower to do it.    Icons need not be enabled in the mirror view.

Take a spin in TK's SF:P1 (published by Strategy First) and you'll see just how compelling mirrors can be.  

[edit]
 Actually, let me stick in a couple of screenies for your edification:

Click on images to expand.

You'll note in the first, just the "cool effect" of mirrors.  This is in widely expanded field of view, zoomed back to max in an F-4 cockpit.  The default FOV is much further forward, and cuts into the two side mirrors, though the top one is still fully visible.

In the second image (an F-104 Starfighter at default FOV), you'll note that it's impossible to see one's orientation in the forward view because of inclement weather (picture AH blue sky that is also mostly featureless).  A quick glance at the mirrors, which are quite close at hand, immediately shows your position relative to the ground because you can see the runway, as well as your changing aspect and can serve as a rough gauge of speed -- all the while you haven't had to glance down into the cockpit to look at a horizon ball, VSI, or airspeed indicator.  This works equally well if you're at a higher altitude and see terrain or the horizon reflected, not just a ground object.

While a mirror won't stop you getting bounced, if there was a bogey there there that was in slight lag pursuit, it can help to monitor his orientation during ACM while you can still keep an eye on your forward view.  According to how he's moving in the mirror, you can see if you're gaining angles or if he's going to slip into lead pursuit, or if he's turned away, etc. etc.   My preference would be that icons are not shown in the mirror.

It's not a substitute for turning your head to look for a bogey, but it does impart more info about your aircraft's state, and we desperately need that in a game where we don't have any seat of the pants feedback.  If you can't see the landscape or clouds, you have little idea as to what's going on without looking at the instruments or switching view to look at a fixed object, except for your own anticpation of the manouver you're performing.  That's highly unrealistic, but a limit we have to accept.  

I'd like to hear other comments from people who have actually experience both methods, to hear their reaction.
[/edit]

Streakeagle, you make an excellent point, if mirrors weren't useful, pilots wouldn't still be using them.  That's not to say they spend all their time looking at them, but it's a lot easier to move your eyes a bit then it is to turn your whole head around.  Even in AH, it would be less disruptive and disorienting than switching your view.

Cheers,
phaetn

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2002, 10:08:40 AM »
Creamo, it needn't be a hat switch/unrealism feature. It would be integrated into current views. That way you see both what's ahead (not blocked by the mirror) and what's reflected. I'm not suggesting the AW implementation at all, but a much more realistic one now that we have the horsepower to do it. Icons need not be enabled in the mirror view.

Of course. The AH 6 view is a rear view cheat of sorts, or a 'Mirror' view if they would just code it. Will they mod all planes and add it via mirrors to the actual historic varients? No.

Horsepower? Don't get me started on this trailerpark $.25 cents being the diffrence between easymo's HTH squad mates and opinions to actual MA paying players.

Icons of course would be in the mirror. There are some lmits to a computer monitor.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2002, 10:15:07 AM »
so, the mirrors where useless in the air for fighting and if you use it, you'll get killed/ but why did the planes had them?????:confused:

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2002, 10:20:50 AM »
Yes, and they ran P47 engines for 3 days without effect.

See, features are mute. Just ask.

Offline phaetn

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2002, 02:29:29 PM »
Creamo penned:

Horsepower? Don't get me started on this trailerpark $.25 cents being the diffrence between easymo's HTH squad mates and opinions to actual MA paying players.

Sorry?  I don't understand what you're getting at there.  I just mean we have a lot more computing power than even two years ago.  Very low end systems now are what used to be the high end systems that couldn't handle mirrors and would drive FPS to the basement just a few scant years ago.

I'm not really sure if your remark is meant to be hostile, or if you're making reference to something of which I'm unaware.   My "horsepower" remark was only that we have much more computing power now than we did at the time of Pyro's post (Nov. 2000).

And added:

Icons of course would be in the mirror. There are some lmits to a computer monitor.

Yup, I'm well aware of the limits of a computer monitor and the need for icons.  Personally I wouldn't want it in the mirror view, but that's just my opinion.  Icons are really useful to make up for what the eye can actually interpret in RealLife™ and can't be displayed effectively at the same range on on a 15 - 21 inch 2d monitor (plane type, range, closing speed, etc.) but that's not the sort of thing that I would ever rely on a mirror for.  

Instead, I'd just want it to be able to see the manouevering of a bandit in your six (at a close enough range that icon's don't serve any purpose), but, more importantly, it would reflect terrain and give you yet another cue as to your plane's attitude and energy state.

Cheers,
phaetn
« Last Edit: November 09, 2002, 02:32:06 PM by phaetn »

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2002, 04:29:00 PM »
hey..how did you do those little pictures that are links..that is cool