Author Topic: Why O' Why?  (Read 389 times)

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Why O' Why?
« on: November 12, 2002, 03:18:26 PM »
Dale added the avi feature to the film viewer, yet none of you wise guys use it.

I would love to see your films, but to be honest, while I'm at work it's not worth the effort to d/l them and view them through the game.

Just a thought.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Why O' Why?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2002, 03:40:48 PM »
i made 1 once .. very choppy pans .. like whenever i panned the slider the plane movement would stop till the new position.

also a 2 min flim ended to be 18.9mb :eek:

i know nothing about editing digital video but i guess somone could shrink it a bit (the file size) but it would still prolly be 5-10mb for 2 min

my 2˘
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Why O' Why?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2002, 03:55:31 PM »
Makin movies (good ones) would be easy if the Film editor wasn't an error waiting to happen.  Couple of us in my squad have been kickin around an idea or two..... production time looks to be in years at the current rate though.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
Why O' Why?
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2002, 04:15:08 PM »
Hi rude,

I have been playing with the film editor for several months now, testing out what can be acheived.

I've been pondering making a video similar to the 8 (!!!!) I released while I was a Warbirds 2.7x player.

Because this is the year 2002, I have decided on principle to utelize the .avi dump feature rather than capture the footage in real time.

At this stage, using the film editor is an 'artform' rather than a science, as it is very hard to use.

Im still fiddling with it, even though it is a tempermental device.... it likes to crash or just not work.

From a directors point of view, I have not figured out how to change the recorded views to another aircraft. It always wants to play back linked to the users aircraft only.

Still, I'll continue to fiddel with it.... If I could get it to do what I want, then FESTER would be Hollywood star by now :cool:

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Codec?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2002, 04:47:38 PM »
Brendo, what codec do you use when you convert the .ahf file to .avi?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Why O' Why?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2002, 05:02:48 PM »
divx is probably the best codec for any kind of video,  it's fairly standard, and really does do to video, what mp3 did to audio.

Then again, as was said, the film viewer is a crash waiting to happen.

Converting a video to divx(or any well compressed AVI) takes hours, and the few times I've tried it, the viewer crashed  right at the very end.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Why O' Why?
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2002, 05:15:21 PM »
you guys having the "crash" prob....
do you have fairly powerful PC's?

i have athlon XP1900 and 768mb DDRRam and 64mb GeForce... i havent crashed making .avi yet... just the large file size.

btw i have had crashes after opening like 6 films in 6 different viewers + doing the rewind thing while running at fastset speed.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Why O' Why?
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2002, 05:39:17 PM »
What codec have you been using JB?

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
Why O' Why?
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2002, 05:56:55 PM »
http://193.179.166.14/mir/262dawn.avi
was my small experiment some time ago...
AH film editor works fine for me

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Last Edit: November 12, 2002, 06:11:02 PM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Why O' Why?
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2002, 06:19:06 PM »
innom .. i dont know LOL ..... i got it from

WARNING SOME OF THE CONTENT ON THIS PAGE IS FOR ADULTS ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is a link to adult stuff anyway
(there's even a video of a guy chopping off his own finger with a chisel)

there is actually some very useful stuff there too....

there is an .exe file that you can use to make a windows boot disk for all windows OS (i have used this for an old win95 sys a friend had and its worked great)

anyway i am VERY hesitant to post this link but the codec might help some people.

on second thought....... email me and ill give site ..... dont wanna be banned :eek:

dmray_1@yahoo.com

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Why O' Why?
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2002, 06:47:17 PM »
Using the editing features in the viewer is simple and intuitive, crashing seems to be a local problem since mine ALMOST never crashes.

*easy for me since I was in the video production biz for 15 or so years, you should see a pro-editing console, for a newbe it's like rocket science.

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
Why O' Why?
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2002, 09:28:32 PM »
ACK ACK, if you want to just dump some AH footage, unedited into a video file, so that other people can watch it, I would recommend the DIVX codec, which is part of the DIVX free ware package available off the internet.

However, if you want to created a film, based on many different pieces of footage and put in special effects/fades/wipes and a soundtrack via a dedicated video editing program, then I would dump the individual footage to an uncompressed AVI file. Be advised that the data rate is about 6 meg per second for a 320 resolution file. Windows 98 can only access files up to 2 gig in size, so that means individual film clips need to be less than 5 minutes per individual file (ie under 2 gig each). When your final production is completed,  you can use the DIVX codec on the final video file output.

Ive been saving AVI files at 640 resolution uncompressed. I havnt checked but it must be an INSANE data rate…. However…. Why else would I have a 60 gig hard drive if I wasn’t prepared to use it  :)

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
Why O' Why?
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2002, 11:08:50 PM »
Rude, the film viewer program which is used for grabbing AVIs is very unstable.  Fast forward or rewind a film, and it will crash on you.  It's too frustrating to work with if you're trying to pull short film clips from a bunch of different films or the from different spots in a single film.  The program just crashes way too often.

Another reason I don't use the film viewer much is the AVI files made by it are very jerky.  Planes in a smooth formation shot microwarp around very unrealistically.  I've found a program called fraps which grabs video from directx games like AH which makes much smoother looking films. (see this for example)  Fraps also is nice because you can be watching a film and at a certain point say to yourself, "I'd like to start recording now," then push a button, and continue watching the film.  While that's happening, an AVI file is being written of what you're watching.  It works so much better than the film viewers AVI export, but keeping a film playing long enough (remember, it crashes when you fastforward or rewind too much) to grab the good shots makes it also unusable.  Also, you can only use fraps in the full screen film viewer, and getting the shot you want using fraps is complicated by the fact that you cannot disable recorded head views in the full screen version. :(

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Why O' Why?
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2002, 11:46:10 PM »
Thanks brendo

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song