Author Topic: 109 cannons  (Read 200 times)

Offline Gabber88

• Zinc Member
      • http://digilander.libero.it/gabber88it/index.html
109 cannons
« on: November 13, 2002, 08:50:00 AM »
On 109G10 is best 30mm or 20mm cannon?
Which range i set his convergence???

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
109 cannons
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2002, 08:56:07 AM »
I don't know if convergence matters to C/L mounted weapons in AH. I don't think the setting includes range elevation. Perhaps someone more experienced could clarify this?

Thanks
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
109 cannons
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2002, 09:03:17 AM »
yes range eleveation is there.

if you use the:

.target xxx      (where xxx is a number)

ex:  .target 300        -     you will see a target to the north at d300
       .target 0            -     this will make it dissapear and reset the target

you can check this.

On 109 g-10:
 30mm nose convergence at    d600
 20 mm gondolas at                 d300
 nose mounted mg's                d300

this will make all rounds hit center'ish of target at d300

if you set 30mm nose cannon also to d300 it will hit low at d300

hope this helps.

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
109 cannons
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2002, 09:22:25 AM »
In the G10 I use a Convergence of 275 for the 20mm cannon....

The convergence is not too much a issue in the g10....

I prefer the 20mm for is balistics over the snapshot ability of the 30mm...

however if your gunnery is poor it will be more evident with 20mm...  I normally put between 3-7 cannon shells into the same location to down most aircraft.   Note thats with the 13mm tagging also...
And also note that is rounds hit.... at about 15% gunnery.

so for 3 rounds hit thats about 19 rounds fired.

Heavy targets require good 2-3 3/4 sec bursts to cause some catasrophic dammage.

Now the 30mm is another story...  1-2 30mm rounds will down most fighters...

with about 5 30mm to down heavy bombers...

But its balistics are very poor meaning lag pursuit tracking shots are very hard to come by in the saddle....  This is compounded by a lower rate of fire.

Boom and zoom and large targets like bombers or twin engine fighters the 30mm is very effective though..

Again I like the versitility of the 20mm with 150 shells over the 30mm with 60 shells..  (But most ive talked to in the arena use the 30mm;  most peoples gunnery is lower than 8%)

Also note the 20mm version of the g10 feels alot more nimble than the 30mm version.  (I prefer nimbleness over firepower)

I would stay away from gondolas (my preference) becuase they really take away from your already limited roll ....

Hope this helps....

DoctorYO

X Grandmaster Luftwabble...

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
109 cannons
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2002, 10:33:52 AM »
It is really a matter of preference, Gabber.

The pros and cons of the two armament types are so clear that the only way to decide which is better is according to personal taste. :)

Generally, Bf109s have a hard time gaining position to fire at, and you don't really have much time to aim. Now, couple this with the fact that the MK108 has low firing rate and bad trajectory, hitting a target with that gun can be a real pain in the arse. Therefore, some prefer the MG151/20 - lot better speed and trajectory.

However, considering the hectic nature of the MA, fighting too long against 1 enemy is very dangerous. Besides, even though the MG151/20 is significantly easier to hit than the MK108, compared to Hispanos or .50 rounds, it is still an inferior weapon. Thus, using the MG151/20 actually may not guarantee a better chance of hitting the enemy. Thus, you can look for just one, just one little chance to land a hit, and you can expect the enemy fighter to go down in flames if you are using the MK108. So, some prefer the MK108.

In my case, for fighting in a mildly dangerous area, where both friendly and enemy numbers are low and equal, I prefer the MG151/20. Lot of 1 vs 1 fights in these areas, and even the slightest different in hitting performance counts very much in 1 vs 1 fights. You don't really need a 30mm for this.

However, when I see enemies begin to swarm to a field, but the defenders have some time to prepare for a defensive, I use the R6 package - using 20mm wing cannons and 20mm spinner cannon. They degrade overall performance, but since there is enough time to get ready, and there are many fighters you must face, 400 rounds of 20mms really help.

In a really dangerous situation, I use the single 30mm cannon. The chances are, you are not going to stick around long in dangerous situations, and gonna have to fight with very keen SA, prompt executions and withdrawals - something to bring enemies down in the shortest amount of time.

For buff hunting, the R6U8 package, with 20mm wing cannons and single 30mm cannon. This one's self explanatory ;)