Author Topic: Poll: improved engine modeling  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
Poll: improved engine modeling
« on: January 11, 2001, 06:44:00 PM »
how about instead of regulating how much time is spend in wep or at a certain power level model heat buildup from different power settings

even full military power wasnt always used, now we run at 100% military just cruisin around, i dont think the real engines did this?

lets get rid of artificial time limits on wep and model heat buildup, if you push your engine too far it gets damage and will eventually break down.

no  i didnt say random engine failures, simply that instead of time limits on wep let the heat be the limiting factor  

what u think? yes or no

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2001, 07:30:00 PM »
I vote for a full realistic engine management. Or at least something that requires a bit more of thinking than to pull that throttle up or down, and hitting a key to engage WEP.

And of course I want koommandogerat in the 190  

Beurling

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2001, 09:02:00 PM »
Count me in too!

EYE

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2001, 09:04:00 PM »
yes

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2001, 09:24:00 PM »
Yes.... but I ain't holding my breath.

------------------
When did they put this thing in here and WTF is it for?

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2001, 09:35:00 PM »
Aye, agreed. How they would implement it, I don't know, but that is a biggy. Maybe a sound effect that warns of impending damage or the like.

Actually, this brings up a good point.

I think there should be "Realism Settings" selectable just like in most boxed sims, prior to your flight, and you are scored and displayed in the clipboard accordingly.

Ex.- Hard Realism mode = NO combat trim selectable period, NO auto take off, and a engine that can't be left at 100% without ill effects, etc...

There could be a color small icon on the clipboard next to your callsign showing what mode you fly. Then if you kill someone who is in combat trim easy mode you get "X" amount more points for it.

Its fair, and a incentive to get more people involved in the flight model which is quite alot of fun, while in fact leaving the easier accessable options to the new guys, or old timers that prefer a easier setup.

It certainly would get some of the "experts" to trade in their hoopty twisty sticks and start manually trimming their planes (ram) which adds alot of difficulty to the sim.  

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2001, 09:40:00 PM »
I vote yes.

Also - Creamo brings up a great point. Now that we have a perk system - we could use THAT as a balancing factor between realsitic and non-realistic settings.

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2001, 09:43:00 PM »
I wont bite, creamo   I trim manually my 190 almost always.

The 109...is another thing   but I dont fly 109 any longer  

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2001, 10:37:00 PM »
I vote no, it's simply not needed.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2001, 11:41:00 PM »
I agree on one point only. Heat, not time, should be the deciding factor on how long you can run the engine with WEP. Last I checked, my 109-F4 doesn't have a time limit on WEP. Just a heat limit; I run it too long and WEP cuts out. Wow, real punishment there. I'd prefer to blow a glycol line if I left it running than just having it cut out. Give you a real reason to watch that engine temp gauge.

As for the rest? Forget it. I'm interested in what I posted, nothing more. No sim, game, or cheap arcade has EVER modeled aircraft engines realistically. Not MSFS, X-plane, or any other. We can pull 54" of MAN in the F6F, normal max power was 52.5" for five minutes. No one will model engine management to this degree. Especially HTC since this sim is already complicated enough for new guys.

-----------------------
Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2001, 11:47:00 PM »
Sounds fun to me  
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2001, 12:22:00 AM »
I hate to mention a MS game but there was one little nifty feature on CFSII ... two starting modes, manual (turn fuel on, select tank, mixture full rich, cowl flaps open, mags on, hit starter switch) or ez mode...press E and bang it's done for ya.

It takes maybe 10 seconds to do a manual start.

Btw I like the idea of the bonus for not using CT and Auto-takeoff...I've never used them anyway though.

Offline Robert

• Copper Member
      • http://home.midsouth.rr.com/rwysairwar/
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2001, 12:23:00 AM »
all for it .....bring it all on

RWY

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2001, 12:31:00 AM »
Didnt ACES OF THE PACIFIC have engine overheat?

Offline tshred

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2001, 12:36:00 AM »
Agreed, personally I want full engine management that is mandatory! This flying around at full power with no mixture adjusting is kinda rediculous and in no way simulates actual combat conditions! I never understood why they don't include this. The FM's are finally getting somewhere these days as far as realism goes, but that's where it's ending as well. You wan't maximum performance out of your a/c, you need to manage your engine, just like the 'real' pilots had to....

ts