Author Topic: okay, that was uncalled for....  (Read 542 times)

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
okay, that was uncalled for....
« on: November 16, 2002, 12:42:22 PM »
What on earth is this?  Switching scenarios in midstream?

Couple reasons why that setup was good.

1.  If all you could do is drop 1 egg on a boat you accomplished something.  That damage would have been there the following day.  Same with base targets.  I thought this was a wonderful addition.  

2.  Plane matchup was real.

3.  It was something new and original.

Why you guys lost it beats me.  All you had to do was modify down time.  Make it last for 7-10 hours or something.

Offline keyapaha

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2002, 01:43:55 PM »
yup same here I thought it would be interesting too  oh well

:(

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2002, 02:24:44 PM »
Yep.
This was the most balanced PTO your ever going to see with the current plane set.
Too bad. :(
I hope they run it next week, and after that some late war ETO stuff. There were other planes in the ETO besides the Hurri,  Spit, and 109.
Again the 27th Sentai has not dissapeared, they just choose to fly in MA when it's not a PTO. The 325th WILL FLY JAPANESE DURING THESE PTO setups. There will be people flying both sides, so don't shy away from these set-ups.

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2002, 02:41:40 PM »
Salute Fellas

The chorus of complaints was deafening.

I did not hear ONE positive response.

Why keep a Setup going and have to put up with complaints all  week?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2002, 02:49:14 PM by Buzzbait »

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2002, 03:12:19 PM »
Nobody faults the CT staff. The problem is bigger, and it's just not the planeset. A big majority of us piss and moan too much myself included. Thats our biggest problem in this arena. We got learn to debate without taking it too serious, and both sides AXIS, and ALLIED, are going to have to live with scenarios that are not easy for them. I'm guilty of it as much as anybody. I'm begining to think the CT staff should just lay out a setup, and let it roll, don't worry about us arguing over it. Just lay it out and fly it, your never going to have a 100% happy arena. We all know you guys do the best you can, and for every plane added somebody can find fault. We are just going to have to grow up and live with it.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2002, 03:20:56 PM »
what on earth was the chorus of complaints?  That other thread that curtis started?  He even deleted his message.  I think this was just wierd.  You should switch it back and ignore it.  Bad precedent to set.  As shane would say, lame lame lame.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2002, 06:14:12 PM »
I'm begining to think the CT staff should just lay out a setup, and let it roll, don't worry about us arguing over it. Just lay it out and fly it, your never going to have a 100% happy arena. We all know you guys do the best you can, and for every plane added somebody can find fault.
Bingo! Watch the numbers, let that be your guide more than anything else as to what changes you might/should consider.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2002, 07:24:53 PM »
Originally posted by ergRTC
As shane would say, lame lame lame.

A legend in his own time already.  Diggit.

I suppose it was inevitable that the Axis whines would spill over into the CT sooner or later.  I'm a little disappointed they were so loud that poor Buzzbait felt obliged to change what appeared to me to be about as well-balanced a setup as most others, with an interesting twist thrown in.  Pretty sad.

My vote, FWIW, is the same as expressed by Lowe and others:  In the future, put up the setup and leave it for the week, period.  I haven't seen one of these, in a year, that wasn't worth flying.  The whiners can go play in the MA for the week if they so choose.

And my own note to the Axis whiners:  You're right.  Allied planes, as a rule, are better than Axis planes.  That was true in the real world, too.  I generally end up flying Axis planes so as to even the sides.  If that's too tough for you to do, too, I find myself without sympathy.  And I am a little irritated that someone like Buzzbait, who devotes his time to building us a playground when he could very well be out enjoying himself, is rewarded by people griping that the seats on the swings are too hard.

- oldman

Offline Chanter

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2002, 08:08:21 PM »
CT.

Thanks for all the hard work trying to give us a different place to play CT Staff.  For a while it worked, however, like the WWII Arena in WarBirds, unless every side has every single plane modelled, there will be an Axis vs Allies rift.  It's too bad; I used to enjoy the CT.

See ya in the MA, where there's always an F4U on a carrier deck.
1841 Fleet Air Arm

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2002, 08:55:47 PM »
I think you should change it back.

You have to understand what I saw when I entered the arena.

Seven allies sealclubing Doc and plastering the bases (what I was accused of, "Milkrunning", in the last set-up.

I jumped the gun and got really pissed about it. I made my crybaby post and returned discovering that they were doing exactly what they were told to do by the CT Staff "Allied Objective: CLOSE ALL BASES"

I returned to the UBB and deleted my post. I then returned once again to the CT and began to Kami the CV. I just couldnt tell if I was hitting it...then the rest broke loose..........

...anyway, Brady and I were bombing the CV with torps and bombs when I loged off....content with what I had learned about bombing the CV, with bombs, torps, and Kami attacks.

...then my misunderstandable post ( my fault) came back and bit me in the ass.

If HTC will reopen my Hawk account, I will try to came back with a different attitude. "Deal with what AH has"

However, please ease up on the "Historic" stuff, its not worth it. IJ doesnt have much to work with.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2002, 09:11:43 PM »
Who acused you of milkrunning bases?

eskimo

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2002, 09:25:05 PM »
lol, ironicly axis guys. I closed and captured many bases on the coast during next to last set-up. CT Staff came in and disabled base capture because of the complaints.

Here it is Milk running
« Last Edit: November 16, 2002, 09:36:51 PM by CurtissP-6EHawk »

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2002, 12:23:29 AM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
Who acused you of milkrunning bases?

eskimo

I accused you and your buddies in the CV of doing that.  Hawk might have said something, I am not sure and will not speak for him.

However I DID call you milkrunners, score potatos and probably several other mean spirited things the other night...  

Yes, I should be drummed out of the flight sim genre completely..!  (so ashamed)

The 27th Sentai will have my gonads on a platter I am sure...!

Tough. :mad:  This is an AVIATION simulation, or so it looked on entering.  So what's the idea of cruising your fleets within tank gun range of a base and just start banging away, especially if YOU DON'T INTEND TO CAPTURE IT ???

(I'll probably apollogize later for this.... (like hell I will))
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2002, 12:41:52 AM »
as i mentioned before, nothing wrong with *honest* base taking when people are on... (unless it's like overwhelming nbrs)...  what i call CT milkrunning was, umm i forget who, wasn't hawk at that time (he "milked" france?) but the morning before when, ummm, like i said i ferget who, milkran england when there was no one on to oppose it at all, or maybe two other guys having fun elsewhere.

that's milking, pure unadultered milking and there's really no place for it in CT, imho.

:mad:

i also hate CV's used as mobile ack platforms in setups where they don't really belong, i.e. any cross channel action on the BoB map.  park the cv's in set routes a sector or 40 miles out or something if cv planes are desired, and make them unsinkable.

i hope eventually AH will have "shallow coastal waters" that's TG's can't get into,  no one in their right might would park a CV off a supposedly heavily defended coast (lot of cv maps don't even have shore batteries - boggling on the BoB map)... bb, cr and most assuredly dd got in close to provide shore bombardment, but that was when air superiority was usually mostly in hand.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.