Author Topic: 190 evasive  (Read 696 times)

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
190 evasive
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2002, 10:53:55 AM »
I almost never take the MG-FF's, mainly because the extra weight probably does hurt your acceleration a little bit, even if it isn't immediately noticable.  The extra punch at close ranges is handy, but at any range at or within my convergence (D400), even the 151's by themselves only require a few pings to shoot off a tail or some other vital control surfaces, and the ammo of the MG FF's mean that you'll only have them for your first couple of engagements.  

And yes, I'll also reiterate the importance of burning the aft tank first.  As long as your aft tank is full, you'll always seem heavy.

Personally the A-5 is one of my favourite planes, I enjoy flying it more than the D-9 because its abilities give a bit of a wider range of tactical options depending on your opponent, which allows you to get good practice in all styles of fighting.  And with its high ENY (36 I think), it works well as a perk-harvester. :)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
190 evasive
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2002, 12:41:13 PM »
Here is how I look at it.  I always take the extra 2 cannons, even though there isn't much ammo for them.  Do they have an effect on performance?  Yes.  Is it a earth-shaking, mind-shattering effect?  No.  

It has been a while since anyone did testing on it, but I think the results were it costs you about 5% slower acceleration, 5% slower climbing, and some small effect on turning.  

In other words, it isn't a significant effect.  La-7s will outclimb you with 4 cannons... they'll also out-climb you with 2.  Same for a 109.  A n1K or spit will still out turn you whether or not you bring 2 cannons or 4.. so why give up that firepower?

I can't think of any scenario (bar one, highly unlikely one) where choosing the 4 cannon loadout would have a significant effect on your planes performance that would cause you to lose the fight.  That would be if you somehoe run into some other pilot of the same skill level as you, in a co-E state, and you both try the exact same moves but he only has 2 cannons.  

To be quite honest, if you are a good pilot, you can easily make up the ~5% difference the 4 cannon loadout 'imposes'.

Offline Gabber88

• Zinc Member
      • http://digilander.libero.it/gabber88it/index.html
190 evasive
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2002, 12:49:33 PM »
What is the difference between 190's fighting style and 109's fighting style?
Whit which plane of these two i can get a lot of victories???:confused:

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
190 evasive
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2002, 01:31:02 PM »
Whit which plane of these two i can get a lot of victories???

This is a stupid question in this case, as it is pretty much personal preference and fighting style.

The main difference between the 190 and the 109 is high-speed manueverability.  The 190, especially the A5, turns wonderfully at higher speed, making it ideal as a BnZ plane.  The 109, and specifically the 109G-10, becomes very sluggish at high speeds and compresses easily.  Turning a 109 at high speed is akin to trying to swim in thick mud. Go into a steep dive with a G-10 and before long your controls will lock up and you may find yourself in an unrecoverable dive.  However, the 109 accelerates and climbs extremely well.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
190 evasive
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2002, 02:05:29 PM »
I flew the 190a8 last tour, along with the A5 and F model, and fell in love with the a8, particularly with all 4 cannons and the machine guns.  At distances less than d400, I could usually knock off a vital part of my target with a split-second burst, such as in a snap shot.  At distances less than d300, my target exploded.  The effect of the extra firepower on aircraft handling was, to me, not important since I never tried to turn the A8.  I would climb to 20k on drop tank and look down for a target, find one, dive on him from the side or behind, shoot, then climb slightly or maintain level flight to extend a safe distance (depending on the speed of the target).

Do not try to turn with Mustangs, P-47s, or the "real" turners: Spitfires, N1K2s, Zeroes, Hellcats.  When the FW gets slow, it wants to torque-roll to the left, so you'll stall before the P-47 and P-51 will.  On the other hand, at high speeds, you can roll out faster than they can and change your direction.

Use the zoom feature to track your target, but use the unzoomed view when you get closer in.    Also keep an eye on your speed because you could end up in the dirt if you go too fast in your dive.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2002, 02:32:26 PM by gofaster »

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
190 evasive
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2002, 09:45:23 PM »
Wow, some great posts here.  I wish every thread in this forum was like this one.

I too used to take the D9 out almost all of the time, while I stayed away from the A5, primarily because of the MGs.  I've learned to harass my enemy with MGs and it's nice to have some cowl mounted MGs with a little umph.  I have, on many mnay occasions, taken out planes with just my 13mm MGs.  HOWEVER, I began to become disillusioned with the Dora because you're really only good for one engagement before you have to run and regain alt.  In the MA this is no good.  That being said, the Dora is still the cherry-picker's choice.  I fell in love with the 190 in the A8 and I still fly it quite a bit (though I leave the 30mms at home now and take the 4 MG151s), however all your posts are compelling me to jump in an A5 real soon and see what she's got.

Also, it's true that the transition from 190 to C.205 is pretty seamless.  The 205 is my ride of choice this tour and possibly the most underestimated plane flying in AH.  While I don't doubt that 190s dominated many planes over WWII Europe, 205s are much better tailored to the frantic, overpopulated skies of the MA.

EDIT:  I suck at jabo-ing so when my squad calls for an all-jaob mission, I grab an F8, make a half-assed drop on target and grab for incoming bogeys ;)  tell no one.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
190 evasive
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2002, 10:17:29 AM »
Info I stole from Urchin. :p

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Long read: "of 109s and 190s"
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2002, 06:56:48 PM »
What is the difference between 190's fighting style and 109's fighting style?
With which plane of these two i can get a lot of victories???

The Fw190 and Bf109 can be considered that they are in a "mirror image" relationship. Their performance is exactly the opposite of each other. :) What the 109 cannot do, the 190 can. What the 190 cannot, the 109 can. Maybe that is why they were used in combinations with such deadly effect in Europe.

Bf109s, though superior in many aspects, are tricky planes. They need much experience to be handled effectively, and also have some personality quirks. In the defensive, the 109 is awesome, probably one of the best, if not THE best plane for pure defensive purposes - grabbing local air superiority, disrupting incoming attacks, getting quickly into attack position by climbing and etc etc. However, for purely offensive purposes, especially the ones that require a distinct "hunt down and kill" characteristic, the 109s are a bit lacking.

For one thing, the hinderance in controls at speeds over 400mph almost absolutely prevents the 109s from simply chasing down an enemy and knocking it out of the sky. When the superb USAAF planes can just see the enemy below, immediately start the attack by diving down with lightning speed, and chase down any enemy that attempts to escape easily, the 109s have to plan an attack course, carefully manage the decent speed so it maintains between 390mph and 410mph... very cumbersome. This process takes a lot of time, and most often gives the enemy time to prepare for the attack. In the worst conditions the enemy will choose to run to deck diving like mad... and the 109 can't follow this.

In my view, the 109s are like guardians of the sky. Passive against a running enemy, but aggressive against an attacking one. They can make the enemy run, they can corner him into a disadvantage and urge them to go away, keeping the skies clear and secure for other friendlies.

But making someone go away is not necessarily the same as actually shooting him down ;) Thus, the limits in 109s - poor fire power(even with the MK108 30mm cannons), fragile airframe, tendency to lock up at high speeds, horrible roll rate and elevator authority at high speeds... - makes them an inappropriate for a pilot seeking for kills and victories.

It is an irony that the world's highest scoring ace comes from the world's poorest offensive aircraft of the era.. but considering that he was almost always a defender, assigned to knock out or chase away the attackers, in the world's best defensive fighter of the era(yes.. worst in pure offensive, but best in pure defensive!)  maybe it's not that strange after all. Hartmann was a careful pilot who flew for a very long time, very many sorties, and not an aggressive slick like Marseilles. It took average three sorties for him to get a single kill. Not very many multiple kills, but always careful, cautious, planned sure-kills.

Compared with the P-51, the 109s traits are also "mirrored" upon the plane. The P-51 was not an ideal plane for instant defensive purposes - average at best in climb rate and lacking in pure acceleration compared to LW planes(meaning: will become disadvantaged soon when facing a plane like the 109 1 vs 1). In AH, a skilled G-10 pilot can very easily(yes! very easily!!) overcome a P-51D even when it starts attacking at higher altitudes. In a 1vs1 battle of pilots with simular skill ranges, I'd bet on the pilot flying the G-10.

But once the P-51s came in disciplined groups, ready at high altitudes thanks to its superior high-alt performance, with formiddable fire power from six highly accurate/powerful heavy machine guns, amazing capabilities at high speed maneuvers, it became a superior hunter/killer - something the 109 can never become.

The Fw190 is almost EXACTLY the opposite of Bf109s. Not very surprising considering that the chief of the design staff, Dr. Kurt Tank, was an ambitious man seeking glory by making a better, different plane from the German engineer's folk hero, Dr. Messerschmidt.

While the image of the 109 is vintage, tricky and sensitive, the 190 is ultra-modern, rugged, tough and clear and simple. With the exception of the early 190s, as a whole the 190 was never so well climbing as 109s. However, while the Allies' evaluation on the 109s were never friendly, the 190 was treated with great respect from its adversaries. During the time of it's first combat, the 190 was a super-secret "UFO" that shocked the English defenders of the channel, almost as much as the 262s shocked the USAAF pilots who first met it. It used the world's most advanced technologies in aircraft designs/mechanisms, with the highlight being the installation of the Kommandogerat system - which can virtually be considered as an onboard analogue computer for plane management.

The 190 was a simple plane to fly. No "personality quirks", such as the 109s being required constant rudder input. It'd fly straight and firm. While the importance of high speed maneuvering and advanced ACM(opposed to the traditional, low-speed "knife fight" engagements) was experimented and applied in all areas of the War, from the Pacific to the Atlantic and Mediterranean, the 190 was the first plane that was designed efficiently enough to utilize its full potential for the new type of air combat tactics - it was fast, it lacked in sustained turns, but at high speeds where turning was not a relevant concern, the manueverability was excellent. It was "the Caddillac of the skies" before P-51s or P-47s entered service.

Unlike the 109, it climbed at an average rate, but the high speed handling was excellent and reliable. And of course, it's rate of roll was phenomenal - though it is a given fact that no 190s could ever out turn a Spitfire, the first impressions of the 190 to the pilots of the RAF was "an unidentified enemy plane, faster than the 109s, amazing maneuverability" Considering that the term "maneuverability" usually associates itself with "capability to turn", it is no doubt that the RAF pilots were more than amazed when they met planes that could out maneuver the Spitfires at high speeds, without having to turn, using its tremendous high speed handling and rolls.

The relatively simple handling and characteristics, and advanced management systems of the 190s also boosted the confidence of young, under-experienced pilots.

The 109 was "vague" - it climbed excellent, gaining alt advantage was easy, often contributing to situations in which the 109 seemed advantageous, and it could also turn reasonably well. The options for engagement given to 109s were numerous - this meant the pilot was required a lot of experience to choose which tactic he would use in the 109. The vague and "hybrid" characteristic of the plane lured many young pilots into making wrong choices.

However, in the 190s, their strengths were clear, as the limits were also clear. Thus, stick with its strengths, avoid the limitations, fly and attack with speed, disengage/evade and run when disadvantaged in 190s - simple and easy to understand tactics in this plane.

The 190 was also a rugged, tough plane, and armed to the teeth with four cannons and two machine guns. In a short opportunity the 190s could knock out enemies which the 109s, due to limited firepower, cannot. It's weapons load was also immense, 500~700 rounds of 20mm cannons and 900~1300 rounds of machine guns - this also was favorable for the inexperienced pilots who were lacking in sophisticated gunnery the "experten" of the 109s boasted.

The 190 was capable as a hunter/killer, and while the image of the 109 stays with the defensive "guardian", the 190s, as their nickname "wurger - butcher bird" appropriately points out, was a very offensive plane. Though the faltering conditions of the late war Luftwaffe limited its development, the 190 met its final destination with the "long-nosed 190s" and the Ta152. The 190D was praised from the endangered pilots of the Luftwaffe as "equal to the Mustangs", and the Ta152 is nowadays considered as the "ultimate evolution for propellor engined fighter". No doubt if the war went on longer, with the conditions a bit more favorable to the Luftwaffe, the 190 would seriously, possibly have become "the best fighter of WWII".

:) What was intended as a simple explanation somehow got carried away into a long essay, but I hope this can help some of the AH fans looking for background information on 109s and 190s.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2002, 07:03:04 PM by Kweassa »

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
190 evasive
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2002, 07:10:42 PM »
Kweassa, I thoroughly enjoy reading each and every one of your posts in the H&T forum.  I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
190 evasive
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2002, 07:46:14 PM »
My god thats a big post :eek:

Offline WOZ30BAT

• Zinc Member
190 evasive
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2002, 12:22:09 PM »
Kweassa, excellent post. I was so inspired by your writeup on the 190 that I flew it this morning with great success.:) ....woz30bat
IN Game: Sidious

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
190 evasive
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2002, 01:17:19 PM »
LOL

dweeb luftweenies doin the split S dance against my Yak 9T ALWAYS die:p ...

only the 1's running FAST don't DIE:eek:

on the serious side...FOLLOW the best 190 drivers around if you wanna learn how to fly it.

lots of good 190 drivers out there