Author Topic: I'm watching an Autopsy on TV  (Read 153 times)

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
I'm watching an Autopsy on TV
« on: November 20, 2002, 05:56:55 PM »
Seriously. That mad German Proffesor Gunther von Hagens did the first public autopsy in 170 years in London today.

Channel 4 in the UK is televising it at the moment.

The 'subject' volunteered. His family was OK with it.

So far it's very interesting.

Gatso

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2493291.stm

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2002, 06:31:08 PM »
Well that was interesting, sort of. Only very brief edited highlights were shown on TV so can't judge the whole thing objectivily. I'm guessing most of the more gruesome sound effects were editted out.

Just for a FYI, enlarged heart, wall of left ventrical enlarged - Hypertension possibly caused by alcohol. Lung adhesion, inflamation and infection. He had gall stones and a kidney cist too. Probable cause of death was Heart failure.

Most of the complaints so far have been more the way in which he did it rather than the actual autopsy itself. Accusations of showmanship over substance seem to be the primary complaint.

IMHO we are far to squemish about both death and the human body and I'm certain that now it's been done once it'll be done again.

Gatso

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2002, 06:42:11 PM »
I heard and watched bits and pieces about it tonight.
If the decease and the family is OK with it…. No big deal to me.

I’ve been a medic for 20 years. My training was at the University of Missouri Hospital. We had cadavers to test our skills with airways, and other medically intensive procedures. The examination of normal and diseased hearts, lungs and the muscle-skeletal system is a major benefit to medics. I was always thankful for the person(s) who were willing to give their earthly remains to help train medical students and responding medics.

I guess my bottom line is: If the autopsy (dissection) is used as a learning tool… Good!
If it’s used as an entertainment tool… Not good!

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2002, 07:25:04 PM »
aye. next you'll have kids trying to replicate what they see on tv. Like that imbecile that set himself on fire emulating the love muffin stunt.

Sigh.

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2002, 08:56:08 PM »
Originally posted by OIO
aye. next you'll have kids trying to replicate what they see on tv. Like that imbecile that set himself on fire emulating the love muffin stunt.

Sigh.

This is what's known as natural selection.

Offline OZkansas

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2002, 06:20:14 AM »
Perhaps they should show an abortion or two to show that it is just a medical procedure.  It would be very educational for the public.

Don't hold your breath!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2002, 07:49:03 AM »
opens up possibilities for Halloween haunted houses

what a way to make a buck er pound ...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder