Author Topic: CH HOTAS USB Troubles  (Read 994 times)

Offline Ducati

• Zinc Member
CH HOTAS USB Troubles
« on: November 21, 2002, 01:05:11 PM »
Hello Pilots,
I am brand new to AH (Just DL'd it last night) After hearing so much about it on other boards I thought I would finally give it a try.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get my CH equipment to work. I have (all USB) FighterStick, Pro throttle and Pro pedals. It seems that in the game it wants to default to the pedals as the primary controller :( . In set up it sees all the controllers, as I can manipulate all the axis numbers. Meaning when I move the throttle the numbers change. And the line graph shows them too. BUT, when I go to fly it only seems to want to use the pedals. I press the left foot forward it accelerates etc.

I tried mapping some of the buttons with the in game interface but either I am making a mistake or it doesn't see the controller. All have been checked and calibrated in WinXP interface and are working properly.

Needless to say I have not been able to get off the ground yet, so any help or advice will be appreciated. I am looking forward participaing in some of the things I have seen here and the greater variety of AC.

thanks

Duc

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
CH HOTAS USB Troubles
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2002, 02:43:07 PM »
Make sure you map the joystick axis -> the control axis.

Go ESCAPE, SETUP, JOYSTICK. From there you can map the various inputs to the relative AH controls (ie Fighterstick X Axis -> AH Roll, don't forget to click on set input).

Offline Ducati

• Zinc Member
CH HOTAS USB Troubles
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2002, 05:54:17 PM »
Well, I tried all that and it just reverts to using the flippin' pedals when I get in the plane. Joystick was manipulating the axis numbers as I moved it, clicked apply->ok. then went to AC and now the throttle worked to add power but it wanted to use the pedals for control again :mad:

I will try for another day or so to get this working then I am going to uninstall I think. Looks like a good time but I hate the hassle of getting this stuff to work like it should. Of course, it could just be me not clicking something I neeed to as well.

Thanks

Duc

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
CH HOTAS USB Troubles
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2002, 06:12:01 PM »
To select your joystick or other hardware device in Aces High, click on the Setup button on the clipboard, click on the Joystick button, then click on Select Joystick.  This will bring up a separate dialog that will allow you to assign input to your different hardware devices.

Clicking on any item in the AH Control list box will highlight the Joystick Input associated with that control.
Set All Inputs and Set All Buttons are short cuts to set all input and/or buttons at once instead of individually.  Set Input sets individual controls.

For example, if you wanted to set the control of the Throttle to the dial on your joystick, you would click on Throttle in the AH Controls list, click on your joystick in the Joystick list, and click on Dial in your Joystick Input list, then click the Set Input button.

That's off the AH web page , now just make sure u "set input" and then "apply" .

I use what you have but for the joystick , I have a ffb 2 , it all works in AH but you just have to set the bugger up in there first .

The buttons are the hardest but I have all mine working as directx , all 20 on the throttle and 8 on the stick . Plus the brakes on the pedals .

Don't give up yet , it really does work well just it's so new to you yet .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
CH HOTAS USB Troubles
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2002, 06:17:55 PM »
Here's what mine looks like . I have high lighted the "rudder" control so that you can see what it looks like .

Hope this helps , I know a pic says a thousand words sometimes .

take care
spro
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
      • http://mysite.verizon.net/res0v1l1
CH HOTAS USB Troubles
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2002, 12:50:10 PM »
send me an email at peterdavidwood@nospamyahoo.com

take the nospam out.  I have the same rig an config, i'll send you the files and you can use it, to get you started.

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
CH HOTAS USB Troubles
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2002, 01:05:49 PM »
Try this, modify as needed:

Offline Ducati

• Zinc Member
CH HOTAS USB Troubles
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2002, 11:13:32 PM »
@Dingbat, you have mail :)

Tyro, I dl'd your attachment and then realized I don't know where I should unzip it. As I noted in my email to Dingbat, I can't get my buttons on my throttle to work so I am having to use just the buttons on my stick. Manageable but hardly ideal. I have heard some people saying they programme under DirectX but I have no experience with that, do you? Also I would love to use the mini-joystick on my throttle for looking around/tracking, is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks again for the help, greatly appreciated.

D

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
CH HOTAS USB Troubles
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2002, 02:10:54 AM »
send the file to a floppy, unzip it, then what I do is open control manager and drag the file there, just click the manila folder in the top left corner of control manager and drag the unzipped AH file there then all ya have to do is load it up.

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
CH HOTAS USB Troubles
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2002, 02:12:19 AM »
I still havent figured out how to use the mini-joystick

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
CH HOTAS USB Troubles
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2002, 02:16:35 AM »
Guess I should add for clarity, after the AH file is in the manila folder, double click on it, and then go to activate current map, I do it once for the j-stick the click on the throttle and activate it again and do the same for the pedals, it used to do this all in one fell swoop but somethin changed so I do all of em just to be sure.

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
CH HOTAS USB Troubles
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2002, 09:14:50 AM »
Ducati, got your message, I'm at work now but will send it when I get home.

Tyro, you have to map it to X and Y.  I've found using it as a PAN stick works, but in my opinion I find it useless.

Offline Ducati

• Zinc Member
CH HOTAS USB Troubles
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2002, 01:31:13 PM »
Tyro, I tried your map and when I brought up control manager XP decided it needed to reinstall all the drivers for my "new" hardware. Go through that dance and into the game to see 4 CH devices listed:confused:  Axis's seem to be registering so into an AC and................a couple of buttons on the throttle work but nothing else :mad:  No rudder, no pitch/yaw, can't even get off the ground.

Any ideas? I'm confused. I don't think XP likes my HOTAS :rolleyes:

D

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
CH HOTAS USB Troubles
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2002, 01:36:14 PM »
Control Manager    Go native, it feels better :)

Offline Ducati

• Zinc Member
CH HOTAS USB Troubles
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2002, 02:55:54 PM »
LOL:D  OK, and how do I do that? And will her mother get mad? :p . What do I need to do to use the buttons on my throttle?

Thanks

D