Author Topic: Map rooms outside of the field....  (Read 218 times)

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Map rooms outside of the field....
« on: October 04, 2001, 06:10:00 PM »
Starting with Version 1.08, fields in Aces High will have a new layout. A field will now consist of an airfield or vehicle field and an adjacent town. The town is situated 2-3 miles from the airfield and contains the strategic map room for the entire field. Capturing a field will now be more complex as the map room is no longer located at the airfield.
----------------

Hmm... will the capture actually be more complex??? My first thought was that now one can just kill the acks from the town and sneak the goons in. The map room is so far away from the field that it cannot be seen from the tower. Someone will have to patrol the town if enemies are in same sector.

Maybe there are mannable acks in the town for checking out the threat???

I hope it will be better than before.. have not tried it yet  :)

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2001, 06:26:00 PM »
Town has ack, not as fierce as field though.

SKurj

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2001, 06:37:00 PM »
This had  to have been done to stop people upping at last possible moment in Fighters or IL2/B26/Mossie and strafing the troops in a field capture. This with the elimination of carbombing is a very positive step for AH. WTG HTC on finaly putting down these  things.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »
Yes, I agree with both of you, but how does this make the field capturing MORE COMPLEX????

I would think that it is much simpler now. Any experiences yet?

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2001, 12:10:00 PM »
Yeah BlauK it would seem to me that now a field can be captured without doing any damage to it at all....  hell u just go around the field to the maproom and drop troops...

We'll see when captures are permitted

SKurj

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
      • http://home.worldonline.cz/~cz088436/
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2001, 12:49:00 PM »
Maybe I was doing something wrong but when I woke up in the morning (late because I failed to wake up in time because of 1.08) first thing I did was writing the 1.08 to a CD and bringing it with me to my office. There after canceling all the appointments scheduled for first half of the day I installed 1.08 on my and my colegue's computers and we went practicing LAN H2H... As I said maybe we were doing something wrong but what we did was we took 2 mossies and killed the town completely then I brought goons and all 10 drunks got into the map room... NOTHING.... I brought another load while my friend was keeping the field down... All 10 drunks got to the map room... Result? NOTHING the field and town were still in hands of the enemy... (the airfield was untouched) ... ? Must the field be dead before troops can sieze it??? Or its just some kindo of a bug or something?

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2001, 12:51:00 PM »
prolly a setting in h2h mode that allows/disallows field captures ?

Offline Cuba

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2001, 04:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by BlauK:
Starting with Version 1.08, fields in Aces High will have a new layout. A field will now consist of an airfield or vehicle field and an adjacent town. The town is situated 2-3 miles from the airfield and contains the strategic map room for the entire field. Capturing a field will now be more complex as the map room is no longer located at the airfield.
----------------

Hmm... will the capture actually be more complex??? My first thought was that now one can just kill the acks from the town and sneak the goons in. The map room is so far away from the field that it cannot be seen from the tower. Someone will have to patrol the town if enemies are in same sector.

After playing a few days, I can say that you are exactly right.  It is LESS complex to capture bases now.  It's also much easier to capture by stealth.  It wouldn't be so bad if GV spawn points weren't so close to the bases, but the way it is now, with one M3 and one fighter (or a panzer), you can capture a base.

It doesn't make much sense to me anyway.  Why would the Map room be in a city? Even visually it looks odd, out of place.  I understand what HTC is trying to do - prevent people from repeatedly upping in fighters, bombers and GVs to kill troops - but I think there is a better way to do it, to really make it more complex and more of a team effort.

Instead of a putting the map room in a city, put it a command post. (I see revetments topped with barbed wire...) Something as important as that should be well defended.  Put more acks around it and make bombing of structures necessary.  The structures should require HEAVY bombs, so that big bombers can have a role.  

So, for example, the logic would be the command post is a complex of reinforced concrete bunkers that have to be softened up before troops can get inside.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2001, 07:06:00 PM »
Maybe the map room is in the city because defenders can go hide in it and have some kick bellybutton street fighting with inbound enis.

But it seems that some are slow to understand that map room off field means a different defensive strategy  :D
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2001, 08:25:00 PM »
Yeah BlauK it would seem to me that now a field can be captured without doing any damage to it at all.... hell u just go around the field to the maproom and drop troops...

You gotta look at it differently now. You don't capture fields anymore. You capture towns. And the fields associated with those towns fall along with the town. Battles in WWII weren't fought for airfields... they were fought for the cities and towns. So what we have now is way better imho.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2001, 09:10:00 PM »
Did the staff at the base just put their guns down when the nearby town fell?

I realize typically the air forces at a location like that would have pulled out before the town fell but the army divisions (VH) wouldn't have thrown in the towel so easily.
And if the town was soo important lets move the AA from the field to the town and put the town AA at the field.  The field AA after all is only their to defend against vulchers now, nothing more.

Skurj

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2001, 11:39:00 PM »
I think that depots & city's should be able to launch GV's for defense.

Depot should IMO have spawn points that lead close to each city it services. That would encourage attacking & captureing the Depot first.

Overall the Mindanao map is short of GV spawn points as it is. This would go a long way to bring the GV's back into the fight.