Author Topic: Turn Rates - Seems awfully slow, is it realistic?  (Read 173 times)

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
Turn Rates - Seems awfully slow, is it realistic?
« on: June 09, 2000, 01:15:00 PM »
I've been having a blast playing this game, but one major issue I've noticed is the turn rates. I honestly never knew that WWII combat fighter aircraft turned so so so slow. Is this really how they act?

It struck me as very strange last night, I did a B17 bomber run (the smaller bomber) and honestly, it turned as well or better than some of the fighters I've tried out. Maybe it was my hazy 2am perception, but I was shocked. I shot some guy down with the front gun on my b17 by out turning him.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2000, 01:19:00 PM »
The turn rates are very realistic IMHO. A b26 completely empty might be able to almost turn with a f4u with 2 1k bombs, i know it outclimbs it  

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2000, 01:22:00 PM »
BotaBing. Are you using a 'mouse' to fly with?

-Westy

Offline wells

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2000, 01:37:00 PM »
Something that may add to the perception is having a lower G tolerance (5?) as opposed to 7 in other sims.  As a result, turns are made at lower airspeeds.  I'd like to see the G level of tolerance raised back up to 7.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2000, 01:41:00 PM »
Wells I wholeheartedly agree the current limit for start of G-loc at 4.5 with blackout at 5 G is too low, but I think 7 *might* be a bit high. I think start of G-loc at 5.5 with blackout at 6 would be best, currently we are all sissy pilots who did not do well in basic  

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2000, 02:07:00 PM »
 Zigrat, you got it backwards, or your terminology is  a bit confused.

You start graying out (gradually loosing sight in a tunnel-effect way) at about 3G and can black out (completely loose vision at 4G), but with any experience you can easily bump it up by a couple of Gs. If you have a reclining seat, like F16 or P51, even better, if you have a speciall G-suit, even more then that.
 The G-loc means Gravity induced loss of conciousness.
 Since your brain has a priority in getting the blood and a special systems to ensure it, and your eyes have no such thing, you loose sight much, much earlier then you loose conciousness.
 From my personal experience, I was perfectly clear-headed and could do anything (control the plane, talk and hear, move my head and smile while being completely blacked out at less then 5Gs.

The flight sim should assume that we are experienced pilots and know the proper exercises to increase the G-tolerance.
 It would be nice if they accounted for different seat angles and G-suit in different aircraft.
 Also, a guy pulling on a low loaded stick of a P47 with a lot of leverage in a huge cockpit should blackout later then a guy in Bf109 with extremely stiff stick and tiny cockpit.

miko--

[This message has been edited by miko2d (edited 06-09-2000).]

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2000, 02:54:00 PM »
This big hoss of a pilot in my squad way backin my Navy days usta get chewed out on occasion for pulling 9g's. He would talk about scaring the poop outa his RIO by pulling them till his verticle stabs would touch, then telling him about it after he came to. Not that this has any bearing on this discussion, but thought ya'll might find it interesting.  

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2000, 04:58:00 PM »
Yes your right i was confused.

What I was saying is that is greyout began at around 5 Gs or so I think it would be better then the current 4.5 Gs. Its a small change, but well I think a fairly significant one, with full blackout happening around 6 Gs.

Sorry for using the wrong terminology.