Author Topic: anonymous moderators  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
anonymous moderators
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2002, 06:34:32 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
All inconsistency and variation in moderators aside, why would anyone keep pressing the issue after getting a warning? I mean, why not just "zip it" for a while?  Wouldn't that avoid the problem?
You'd think so, wouldn't you?  So what happened instead..... we had a whole lot of people on Channel 1 spelling as many words as they could containing the word "ass", which went on for quite some time.  Although laughable, I thought that was pushing it!  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2002, 07:00:16 AM »
Yeah, Flossy. I saw that. That's what I found entertaining. :)

It was as if a few folks were incredibly eager to show what immature little youngsters they were. If Sheriff HT really wanted to "clean up this town" it'd be easy to sucker that crowd into photographing themselves and making their own "wanted" posters!

Still, it looked like the innocuous stuff was sliding by without comment. Or else they were getting muted and relogged in pretty fast. ;)

Funniest part was when I logged back in much later and they were still playing with their new toys. Reminded me of the chimps at the zoo with a new ball. :D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2002, 07:52:21 AM »

All inconsistency and variation in moderators aside, why would anyone keep pressing the issue after getting a warning? I mean, why not just "zip it" for a while?  Wouldn't that avoid the problem?

Wow...pure gold.  Now if only it were so easy to make folks understand the pure simplicity of this statement and have them apply it.  

How hard is it to just stop pushing when you get a simple warning to watch your language?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2002, 03:11:36 PM by sling322 »

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2002, 07:56:51 AM »
Thanks for the explanation. At least I understand the mechanism now.

Now for my "stupid" question.

as for yesterday's situation with the "ass" thing... beats me.. i wasn't even involved except in discussions about moderators in general.

as for *me* potentially continuing... well.... just like you think it's stupid for someone to fly what someone tells them, i don't like having someone tell *me* what or how to talk on channel one if i'm not doing anything wrong per se, except by *that* person's "code"  - which seems to be that they personally may not go for channel 1 "smack" and i'm apparently ragging on one of their buddies, and not even really saying anything remarkable.

in a prior situation with one of the damned... it was *boom* mute right off the bat for what was basically similar in terms to what i posted above.

the good ole boy network at it's worst... which is why from my perspective, it's who you know (or are ragging on), more than what you say that gets a moderator on your case, or not.

plus what's this about VOX being quite nasty at times? (i don't use vox, so...)? seems there's no moderation or ability to squelch vox or vox/ranges from what i gather.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2002, 08:04:49 AM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2002, 08:01:49 AM »
actually shane... you're funnier when you get shot down.
lazs

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2002, 08:03:03 AM »
Originally posted by sling322
How hard is it to just stop pushing when you get a simple warning to watch your language?

agreed when it comes to filtered words or truly obnoxious stuff...

but "dweeb" is a word deserving of "calm down"??? deserving of a moderator trying to play 80 pound chimp and force *his* personal ethos down my throat with an "error message lecture" ?

sorry... as much as this is HTC's decision as to *who* to select for moderators, from my end they need some serious training and lectures of their own for when they need to step in situations.

this is why the anonymity is so annoying... you can't show HTC that perhaps a moderator or 2 just  might not be truly capable of fulfilling that role as intended.  50 to 1 that both my situations had moderators who were members of those respective squads.

i've never, ever, gotten an error message for similiar conversations with countless lamger ganging dweebs who need more time in the TA ----->

with no apparent accountability or method by which a moderator can be held accountable for *their* actions, a moderator is free to abuse those priviledges.  i'm not saying they all do, or do all the time, but... yanno?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2002, 08:08:48 AM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2002, 08:24:19 AM »
Originally posted by Shane

as for *me* potentially continuing... well.... just like you think it's stupid for someone to fly what someone tells them, i don't like having someone tell *me* what or how to talk on channel one if i'm not doing anything wrong per se, except by *that* person's "code"  - which seems to be that they personally may not go for channel 1 "smack" and i'm apparently ragging on one of their buddies, and not even really saying anything remarkable.
[/b]

I see what you are saying; how can I not be sympathetic to logic like that?  ;)

All I can say is that obviously HTC selects these guys and gives them their "marching orders". He must feel he has it under control.

If the player base does not, perhaps direct E-Mail or a phone call would be the best course? It's come up enough on the BBS that I suspect it's either OK by them or it's not getting through.

plus what's this about VOX being quite nasty at times? (i don't use vox, so...)? seems there's no moderation or ability to squelch vox or vox/ranges from what i gather.

That I have heard HT address. He said no squelching of range in order to enhance the community aspect. Or something like that. I don't particularly care for range because the squad uses vox extensively. I just hate two radios going at equal volume. At a minimum, I'd like to see individual channel volume sliders. Squelch would be VERY nice though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2002, 08:26:40 AM »
sorry... as much as this is HTC's decision as to *who* to select for moderators, from my end they need some serious training and lectures of their own for when they need to step in situations.

this is why the anonymity is so annoying... you can't show HTC that perhaps a moderator or 2 just  might not be truly capable of fulfilling that role as intended.  

Is there a training program? Does anyone know?

I'd have to guess HT set it up the way he feels it needs to be. I doubt anonymity was a random choice.

Again, though, I'd say direct contact would be your best bet on resolution.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2002, 08:33:45 AM »
Some of this post reminds me of watching a kid touch an electric fence because he can, or better yet, a little yap dog with a "shock collar" on... that little YIP "YIPE!'..... Yip "YIPE"...

no matter how much logic is used... some will never learn! ;)
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
anonymous moderators
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2002, 09:24:40 AM »

this is why the anonymity is so annoying... you can't show HTC that perhaps a moderator or 2 just  might not be truly capable of fulfilling that role as intended.  50 to 1 that both my situations had moderators who were members of those respective squads.

Well I know that I AM NOT A moderator and I am part of one of the squads you casting an accusation at and as far as I know none of our squad members are a moderator.

Also I am sure that they have away to TELL what moderators says to another player.

So if you feel you are getting picked on - email them the TIMES you got muted and they can check the logs to see who did it and to see if they are abusing any powers they may have.

YMMV

Mike "DmdJordi" Bowman
DAMNED
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2002, 09:34:02 AM »
You guys who get muted are paying $14.95 to curse on text or
Fly?? AOL Chat rooms are free!!

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2002, 09:54:56 AM »
Never been muted,,, don't plan on getting muted either.

I have to much self respect for myself.

Most who get muted are immature or have a self esteem problem.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
anonymous moderators
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2002, 11:13:25 AM »

......can u tell this is human driven?

Golly... whodd'a thunkit?
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
anonymous moderators
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2002, 12:42:51 PM »
You know some people take this game a bit too over board; and alot of folks with screws loose!

I like the idea of a "mod" being around..for the fact that some people can't contain their actions and need to be baby sat.

Offline krazyhorse

• Nickel Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2002, 02:02:09 PM »
i actually like this thread, even though it's been sometimes since i have received one of them thar messages. someone had commentted that it was like a fart in the bath tub(dunno why)  any how my response was " so did the little fart bubbles tickles yer balls"  hehe  i got one of them messages  god i'm still laughing about it:D