Author Topic: anonymous moderators  (Read 3942 times)

Offline PvtPyls

• Zinc Member
anonymous moderators
« on: December 08, 2002, 07:50:02 PM »
Today i was banned seven times. I'm not complaining about the fact that i was banned but instead, the fact that people using the  same words in identical context were not.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2002, 08:33:35 PM »
I was in the MA when all the one-sided conversations were going on.

I found it very entertaining, myself. Logged off for an hour or two to eat and watch TV with the family and the same folks were still on carrying on their one-sided conversations with the moderator(s) when I logged back in.

Man, how I wish we could have a "moderator channel" so we could actually read BOTH sides of it. That'd be even MORE entertaining!

Do you have a film of the text? Can you tell if it is a moderator or the program that's muting you? Does the moderator message just come up in your text box, or what? Can you save that stuff so we can all read it? (I've never been muted by man or machine, so I don't know. I'm sure we have some experts though)

BTW, I also have a question about the mute they do. It's ten minutes, right? So how can guys start talking almost right away. I mean you hear a guy say "I just got muted" then nothing then two minutes later he says "I just got muted AGAIN". So is it ten mintues or not? What's the deal there?

I'd also like HTC to implement a "mute & squelch" score page. Three columns: Mutes by the Program, Mutes by the Moderator, Squelches by fellow players. And a big Prize awarded each camp for the winner in each category..... like cancelling their account or something.  :D

Just my .02.

YMMV.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2002, 08:36:03 PM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Aub

• Nickel Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2002, 08:45:00 PM »
Mute is kinda useless. Its very easy to circumvent.

If a moderator is on, you get a personal message warning. If its an auto-mute, its a manufactured warning.

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2002, 08:56:44 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
BTW, I also have a question about the mute they do. It's ten minutes, right? So how can guys start talking almost right away. I mean you hear a guy say "I just got muted" then nothing then two minutes later he says "I just got muted AGAIN". So is it ten mintues or not? What's the deal there?

Toad all they have to do is relog and their not muted anymore.

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2002, 09:17:07 PM »
Originally posted by Aub
Mute is kinda useless. Its very easy to circumvent.

If a moderator is on, you get a personal message warning. If its an auto-mute, its a manufactured warning.

Only time I've gotten a "personal message" on the warning box from a moderator type was when it was an HTC person.  Every time I've been muted by a moderator it was a nice, sudden BOOM for the mute.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2002, 09:25:28 PM »
How do you tell the difference Cave? Is it in blue?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline GPreddy

• Copper Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2002, 09:36:05 PM »
I chased a P51 two sectors to one of our fields where he turned and tried to vultch a bishop while the ack was up. He killed the guy on the runway and I got closer when he turned toward the runway again. The guy taking off goes for the ho even though Im right behind the P51 and within 200 range. He kills himself shooting the P51 and me so after he dies I say something like that was damn stupid with someone right behind him. A moderator says watch the language. I agree that the coarser words dont belong but things like damn and hell are not severe. If you want your kids protected from that why are you letting them play a game of violence?

Offline Aub

• Nickel Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2002, 10:16:15 PM »
I don't know about Cave, but I've never been warned when an HTC person is online.

Everytime I get warnings, a pop-up box appears with something like 'watch the language, please.' In all reality, I'm sure that is how HTC's warnings are issued also.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2002, 10:18:48 PM »
Cave, I guess my question is do the machine mutes look the same as the moderator mutes?

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2002, 11:08:32 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Cave, I guess my question is do the machine mutes look the same as the moderator mutes?

yes they "look the same" with a grey box and "error message" heading.  

the ususal profanity suspects get a canned, "continued use of profanity will result in loss of radio privledges" or something like that.

let's say you're being... well.. shane...  you might see a similar box with a message like "you're being annoying"  or "calm down shane"

and when one holds a one sided conversation, sometimes the moderator will reply back in context of what you're saying.

so yeah... there's a distinct difference.

i also notice i get mine when i'm usually ragging on some Damned or AK dweeb, leading me to suspect one of them in each is a moderator, and i have a pretty good idea of which ones.  :D

here's what i got when i was calling one of them AK dweebs a dweeb...  can u tell this is human driven?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2002, 11:52:44 PM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2002, 11:55:34 PM »
and here's text that generated these messages...  in the first "lol what an error message" i recived the first moderator message.. it said something like "calm down shane."

maybe the "die die die facestudmuffin" did it, but i say that when i win a HO when i go ahead and take them, no biggie... more a taunt than anything, like HaH! take that!

after AKDwe... err Chucklz said "don't call me a dweeb" and i replied "dweeb!" is where the "calm down" msg appeared

think you can tell where the two error messages i posted in the prior message came into play respectively?

:D

did that exchange truly warrant a moderator intervention??

hmmmm?  "who you know (or who you rag on), more than what you really *say*?  :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: December 09, 2002, 12:03:13 AM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2002, 12:11:17 AM »
Classic reply there Toad :)

Drex

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2002, 03:50:45 AM »
Toad as Shane posted, you can tell by the text in the warning message.  And you can spot warnings from HT pretty quick usually, his typing gives him away :)  The mute boxes are both the same, telling you you're muted for 10 minutes.

And actually thinking back on it, there is one person with mod powers that apparently doesn't despise me yet.  I've had semi-converstations with them via channel 1 and the warning box.  Still haven't figured out who it is yet.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2002, 03:53:35 AM by CavemanJ »

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2002, 06:10:39 AM »
Today i was banned seven times.

It would seem that someone is a very very slow learner.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
anonymous moderators
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2002, 06:13:42 AM »
Thanks for the explanation. At least I understand the mechanism now.

Now for my "stupid" question.

All inconsistency and variation in moderators aside, why would anyone keep pressing the issue after getting a warning? I mean, why not just "zip it" for a while?  Wouldn't that avoid the problem?