Author Topic: Best idea for the rank system  (Read 640 times)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Best idea for the rank system
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2002, 04:34:48 AM »
folks who fly for rank fly to live

the suicide dweebs dont

folks who fly for rank fly to fight

those who dont fly for rank fly for k/d which means lotsa of running and timid fighting.

We dont need more suicide dweebs

We dont need more late uber bird runners.

I have np with "rank" flyers. Its the "we must win the war dweebs" that have made ah considerably less fun.

You see the "rank dweebs" participating in the 50 man undefended base rape/auger missions because it doesnt help them.

Folks who say "I fly for fun" think they are in some exclusive group. Most of the guys who end up with the higher ranks have fun to. They have fun surviving their sorties and landing lotsa kills. Most are part of squad and fly together and have lotsa fun.

I would fly in a main with more folks working for rank then a reset.

Landing Grabbing leads to more dweebery then anything else in ah.

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2002, 04:41:54 AM »
Sounds good to me mandoble!

How about 2 different arenas:

1. scorearena
2. suicidearena

OR

CT = scorearena and MA = scoring disabled. :D
I am a spy!

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2002, 04:43:41 AM »
Originally posted by Apar
Exactly!

But can you distinguish in flight who is who, in order to not waist your time?

If that's the problem, easy solution...different icon colour -> Green: friend       Red: Rank enemy   Orange:  Unrank enemy.

Anyway, I don't see much of a problem if the Ranked killer don't know wether his opponent is ranked or not.

If I think on it, my feeling is that the one useful information would be the % of ranked pilots in each country. Kinda self deffense for overnumbered countries....imagine what would be this Arena if Rookland (accounting for the current situation) has a 10% of "ranked" players....

At the very end, I dislike the whole "rank" idea. Serves for nothing but ego-impaired players with strange fantasies about the meaning of Rank, and promotes bad behaviour, as it's easy seen in the arena. I think the whole rank idea is the one to be dropped.

Cheers,

Offline Amboss

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2002, 05:42:02 AM »
I thought it could be as simple as not counting the scores of those who don't want to be ranked and taking them off the ranking list (i.e. they don't appear in the score lists and have a permanent "0" as rank or something).

I guess it's a little more difficult than that.   I see the possible problems and loopholes that could stem from mixing ranged and non ranked people.

However, what about having a ranked and an unranked MA? That would solve those problems about mixing the two preferences and it would solve some other issues like arena overcrowding and maybe a chance at having different map rotations for the MA ruleset.

-Amboss

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2002, 05:50:06 AM »
If that's the problem, easy solution...different icon colour -> Green: friend Red: Rank enemy Orange: Unrank enemy.

Anyway, I don't see much of a problem if the Ranked killer don't know wether his opponent is ranked or not.

My point is that even 'no-rankers' effect the score system (as explained in the post above) but by killing them giving you less results then killing a 'ranker'.

Now knowing that, would you waist your time as a 'ranker' on a 'no-ranker' pilot if you could distingiush between 'ranker' and 'no-ranker' enemy??

I wouldn't, :) And I think allot of others wouldn't either. Must be allot of fun flying as a 'no-ranker' in the MA where nobody wants to attack you (at least no 'ranker' pilot).

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2002, 05:52:30 AM »
I wouldn't, :)

Ooops, shouldn't have said that, now everybody things I do fly for score, :D

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2002, 06:28:42 AM »
Originally posted by Wotan
folks who fly for rank fly to live

the suicide dweebs dont

folks who fly for rank fly to fight

I know more than one "suicide dweeb" that fights mostly in outnumbered conditions in the less defended areas of the map trying to stop the hordes, while others "fliers for rank" just keep almost loitering over the runaways of deacked enemy fields trying to vulch even the sheeps.

One thing is clear, you are or not concerned by the rank. If you are, you are going to play for it, whatever that implies, if you aren't you always can choose to act like a suicide spawner in a vulched runaway or just like a player that, at least, defends his country where he is necessary, even in suicide situations.

And dont forget that the final target in AH is just to conquer territory while not loosing yours, not just to keep aiming at a GV spawn point with your panzer and keep killing newbies for hours or keep vulching the same zeke zillions of times and then fleeing like the hell when hi cons came to defend the base.

Apar, if you kill a noranked pilot, you earn the kill and the points, cant see the problem with enganging them. BTW, actually we have tons of targets that are far away from the top 200 pilots, so, what you would want is to see the rank of the player in the icon and dont loosing time killing a pilot ranked 1500 while you are into the top 100.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2002, 06:35:01 AM by MANDOBLE »

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2002, 07:09:09 AM »
it would be nice to have a no rank option
but please not a no stat !

Offline AtmkRstr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2002, 07:25:35 AM »
If people had the option of not being ranked, rank woudl only be a measure of who's a better score potato because only people who care about their stats would be ranked.  This would likely make the score system even less of an indication of skill, where now it can be used as a rough guide.

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2002, 07:27:02 AM »
Originally posted by AtmkRstr
where now it can be used as a rough guide.

No it can't

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2002, 07:27:18 AM »
Apar, if you kill a noranked pilot, you earn the kill and the points, cant see the problem with enganging them. BTW, actually we have tons of targets that are far away from the top 200 pilots, so, what you would want is to see the rank of the player in the icon and dont loosing time killing a pilot ranked 1500 while you are into the top 100.

Mandoble,

Your rank is not only achieved by you own score results but also by that of others. So if you shoot down a 'ranking' pilot it has a positive effect on your score and a negative effect on his. This effects his rank and yours (also yours relative to his)
If you shoot down a 'no-ranking' pilot, it only effects your score.

Hence 'no-ranking' pilots indirectly have an effect on the ranking system.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2002, 08:07:12 AM »
Originally posted by Apar
Mandoble,
Your rank is not only achieved by you own score results but also by that of others. So if you shoot down a 'ranking' pilot it has a positive effect on your score and a negative effect on his. This effects his rank and yours (also yours relative to his)
If you shoot down a 'no-ranking' pilot, it only effects your score.
Hence 'no-ranking' pilots indirectly have an effect on the ranking system.

Then, actually you can call "no-ranking" pilots to all those that are 100 positions below yours, killing them will have no effect at all about the difference between their rank possition and yours. Obviously, when you engange a target you are not worried about his possition in the ranking related to yours, because all you can see is a red icon and, surely, most of the times you are getting kills over people well below than you in the ranking.

BTW, killing no-ranking pilots will affect your rank in relation with anyother ranked pilot. Lets suppose you and me are raked pilots, we both purse a no-raking one, and you get the kill. Your K/D, points and K/S will increase while my K/D and points will keep the same and my K/S may descend. Lets suppose you are ranked number 3, and the top 20 pilots fly for the same country than you, then whatever you kill is not a menace for your position and your only hope to increase your ramking is just to kill more lesser ranked ones of other countries, or that these lesser ranked pilots keep killing your own team mates ranked 2 and 1.

And yes, no-ranked pilots would affect the rank of ranked ones, you can kill them and improve your score or you can be killed by them.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2002, 08:30:22 AM »
This thread turned really rank in a hurry..............:p

Seriously, I think MANDOBLE's idea has a lot of merit, but we already have an option:  Just ignore that little rating/rank # beside your name and play the game.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2002, 08:37:57 AM »
How about you can forfeit your personal score,but your score still goes towards your squad score?
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2002, 09:06:38 AM »
I think everyone so concerned should just lighten up a bit.

What is so disconcerting about the scoring system? It rewards those who make a complete effort at fighting the war....those who would rather focus specifically on just one aspect of fighting can simply track their progress by that lone statistic.

Regarding the contest, why shouldn't someone who is willing to make that complete effort be rewarded....the fact that some of you are not willing to make that effort, should in no way negate the effort of those who do.

If you don't like it, you probably should just let it go....not everything should have to go your way in order to have some fun. If you think it does, then life itself must be a major letdown for some of you:)