Author Topic: An Aces Tale  (Read 567 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
An Aces Tale
« on: December 12, 2002, 05:48:32 AM »
An Aces Tale

Looking out from his virtual cockpit he realised that he was truly master of all he surveyed.

Below the gang bangers and suicides dweebs threw them selves at an enemy field to continue their incessant land grab up until the next reset. He viewed them with contempt.

Things were not as they used to be. He remembered those times. He had flown with true aces then. With masters of the art, folk who truly understood the true objective of the air combat sim , together they had defined the genre..

Times had changed, many had passed on, some had become cods them selves. Few visited the arena now. They exchanged acknowledgements; some times flew together, but rarely.

The hordes now populated the arenas. Some had come from the other places where he had once frequented long ago. Few of them understood the heritage of the “then” that should define the “now”.

None could match his skill, none could demand his respect, pretenders were sought out, defeated, and shown for the inadequates they truly were.

He had his followers now of course. How could he not have? But he tired of such sycophants who were always tempted back to the horde and the land grab when offered the prospect of perks and points.

He had been watching a dot, which was clearly enemy, manoeuvre at what appeared to be co alt. It now resolved its self to be so and he was gratified to note that the plane was the same as his.

Another pretender perhaps. He warned his fellow country men away from the ensuing combat, reminding them of the fate of kill stealers who interfered with his combats.

He manoeuvred for the merge, speed, altitude and plane type all seemed the same. This fellow was either a fool or ignorant of who his opponent was.

His combatant mirrored the merge well and after  a few manoeuvres he decided that here at least would be some challenge to break the boredom, before the pretender made some typical mistake or another.

But as seconds turned to minutes and minutes added the fight grew harder and harder. Neither gaining the advantage, each coming close to the shot, each avoiding the others fatal strike.

Who was this pretender? Never had he been opposed by such skill, could it be a master of old returned?

The combat slowed, neither could disengage, both had pinged the other. His palms began to sweat, his motions of rudder, throttle, elevator and aileron became more frantic, fuel was low, ammo was depleted. Still the combat raged……lower and lower.

On his last few rounds, with the aircraft stalling, the fuel gave up and his nose swung toward a final, last chance shot as his opponents craft also faltered in mid manoeuvre…….

Suddenly behind him he heard a heavy drone and saw a flash of dull grey as multiple tracers penetrated his opponent who exploded in a ball of fire and parts………… the La7 zoomed away chortling his victory cry.

System reported an “Assist”…………. he was furious. A gangbanging, land grabbing dweeb had stolen his kill in the most despicable manner. He harangued the La7 pilot over the radio and text channels. How could this happen?……the  pretender  should have been  despatched by him not some kill stealing fool ……..particularly as he was now forced to execute a ditch with nothing more than an assist to show for his efforts.

Which reminded him……. Who was the pretender? He scrolled up the  text bar to find after the system report the assist giving the name of……….

himself! it was his own name! system had reported an assist upon himself?

Still staring incredulously at the screen his plane rolled over and crashed into the terrain………….

Far away in another place, the cods looked to each other and nodded in agreement

“A kill had been recorded”
Ludere Vincere

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
An Aces Tale
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 05:55:11 AM »
I didnt know you smoked.

Offline rv6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.aircombatusa.com/AC_Testimonial.htm#James
An Aces Tale
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 06:18:50 AM »
I remember that!  I REMEMBER!

"A kill has been recorded"

(textual orgasm of sorts)

I think you hit it on the head, in saying "times of old"

I started with an 8088, when SH Falcon 1.00000.a was out.. dazzling CGA 4 color.

You (& I) are just dinosaurs, in the jet age.  There is no going home.  2 choices now for us:

Remain at 20k, spending countless hrs waiting for the few remaining knights of the sky (remember that sim? Hoy Vay!) to come our way..

Or..

Invert that crate, and split-s down into the madness of the 21st century dudes & dude'ettes..

The choice is yours.

Nice post..

RV6 ~
Sarge from AW #2652 "Fubars"

Offline paulieb

• Copper Member
      • http://www.airmafia.com/index2.html
An Aces Tale
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2002, 10:37:37 AM »
hmmm.... a cautionary tale in the guise of a whine.... very imaginative! 9/10!!

Offline bigUC

• Nickel Member
An Aces Tale
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 12:21:00 PM »
I just arrived here from the #%%¤# Haiku-thread, for gods sake...   You all use Winona's doc?
Kurt is winking at U!

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
An Aces Tale
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2002, 01:50:38 PM »
Originally posted by rv6

"A kill has been recorded"

Hense the "A whine has been recorded" text you will see on channel one every now and then.

There are still some of us here.  Most have been converted, however.  No longer is it an unthinkable sin to enter a 1v1 and upset the balance of the fight.  No longer do you see a con of higher altitude drop to that of his prey in an attempt to make the fight fair.  No longer do you see actual ACM during the course of your fight.  No longer does the dreaded + infront of a CPID strike fear into your heart.  No longer is it unusual to see an enemy dive and run from a co-alt engagement.  No longer do you see the odd creative kill macro.  And no longer is it considered bad form to brag and taunt on channel one.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
An Aces Tale
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2002, 01:55:22 PM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
And no longer is it considered bad form to brag and taunt on channel one.

Some people who seem to cherish AW's legacy would disagree with you. (I'm not of AW legacy, but there's some others lurking around here)
-SW

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
An Aces Tale
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2002, 02:00:03 PM »
And no longer is it considered bad form to brag and taunt on channel one.

Doesnt mean I agree with it.  ;)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
An Aces Tale
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2002, 02:38:06 PM »
Tilt-  I think thats a really cool story.  

Something like that goes through my mind everytime I meet a competent pilot in the MA.  Well, right before the "Oh S***" that is the last thing on my flight recorder lol.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
An Aces Tale
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2002, 10:55:47 PM »
Nice write Tilt...Some of my favorite sim memories are from that sim.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Aub

• Nickel Member
An Aces Tale
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2002, 11:01:21 PM »
No longer does the dreaded + infront of a CPID strike fear into your heart.

That stroke fear in you? hell, I always laughed because I was certian they were gonna auger soon

Offline BlckMgk

• Nickel Member
An Aces Tale
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2002, 12:24:17 AM »
*A Kill Has been recorded
You've Just Been Beset with the Black Magic of the Black DRAGONS (scrolled over a three line buffer)... haha the kill macros... i remember most of my fun coming from just trying to develop a catchy phras with an elaborate design over those three lines... (what I would Do in class to pass the time)

haha thanks for the memory refresher!