Author Topic: WW2OL, 2nd Impressions  (Read 4508 times)

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2002, 02:31:23 PM »
Did you read SgtSpoon's keymapper help file? His addy should be in the sticky file on the Community Forum, under tweaks or something or just post an ask where post. Welcome aboard.

HC

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2002, 02:33:09 PM »
I'm usually trying to kill 109s at those FB.

HC

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2002, 02:36:10 PM »
We all want a long range anti-tank capacity for INF. Were there any Bazookas in the BEF?

HC

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2002, 02:54:59 PM »
When did it enter the BEF? Give me an addy to check it out.

HC

Offline Apeboy

• Zinc Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2002, 02:55:24 PM »
Were there any Bazookas in the BEF?

What difference does it make?  There is barely any cover and concealment in cities in wwii.  Cover and concealment in fields is non-existant, tanks can mow down entire brigades of inf before anyone gets close.

They got some tall grass now but really, uniforms stick out like sore thumbs at large distances.  The optics on the tanks may very well be historically accurate but if you don't historically model any camofluage what-so-ever it throws the whole thing out of whack.  Especially fot he Inf.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2002, 03:05:05 PM »
Originally posted by hardcase
I'm usually trying to kill 109s at those FB.

HC

I've done it both ways. The way it usually works out, the 109 can evade you long enough, heck, ignore you long enough in most cases to down a Blen. All it needs is one pass, and the guy behind him probably won't be able to really hurt the 109 from a dead-six. Kill the Blen, drop the nose a bit and extend. Not much any Allied fighter on the continent can do about that unless they hold an alt advantage, and that gives you a chance... for the first 109.

I've been Axis doing it to the Blens, and I knew I could totally ignore the fighters until something actually popped. As long as I didn't give them a deflection shot on the canopy, there wasn't much chance they could hurt me bad enough to save the Blen or knock me down.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2002, 03:16:37 PM »
Sounds like BEF to me. Allies need to fighter sweep before the blens show up. A hard lesson to teach.

HC

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2002, 05:58:42 AM »
What said CRS about the return of clipping bug ?
I got the pict from a couragous fellow still in French side even with WWIIol flaw ...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2002, 06:15:18 AM by straffo »

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2002, 06:10:39 AM »
Unbelieveable...

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2002, 06:58:20 AM »
That fediddlein bug has been around for a while. Sos the grenade blast effect.

I only replayed the new version briefly and pistols are still the toejame. :)

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2002, 11:07:06 AM »
well seems like tanks in ah had the almost identical problem for how long? i remeber pyro coming out and seeming realy concerned about the top armor on the osti on day about a week after they came out . asked for films and sounded suprised . still got the same problem last time i tried mg20  dead top center does nothing on a open top vehical ? how long has osti been out?

you cant trade tit for tat on game errors. i played 6 hours with not one crash or need to reboot last night. many cant play an hour on aces without a crash or lockup its got flaws but its working and frankly it was pretty cool . i havent got up hurting from stiffness caused by not getting up for 5 hours even to pee.over a video game since aces high was in beta. ( befor the true idiots showed up)

i.e. dont start a tit for tat flame fest . ww2 online has given anyone who wants plenty of reason to hate it. hell i did, but there is room enough for both simms in this world ,plenty of room. and dont try to set the guy up for a flamethrower hes not forcing or selling 95% of thepeople on this board already own ww2 anyway.

love towd

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2002, 11:52:05 AM »
Hey towd you havent fanboi already???? :)

I bought the game when it came out and kept a paid account up till 1.5 something. Never played more then a couple of hours a month. Came back for the 1st welcome back sucker program and even signed back up for a paid account because a few of my squaddies were playing.

Its fun for a bit then the same tirted old stuff comes back.

A few my squaddies are having a blast with the new version of welcome back sucker. But i am not gonna bother. Moving to '41 without fixing the BoF is just wrong imho.

That and tired old capture the flag thing is bad. AH is ground game sux but its a side show. wwiiol tried to do everything and why they did somethings well nothing is that great.

Theres no 1 game killer for but the all the things rolled into 1.

AH game play has gotten bad as well though so I am glad wwiiol is there. I myself east front stuff with the current gameplay and bugs I dont expect much from them if they ever attempt it.

I dont expect that wwiiol gameplay should equal historical results but to me if there to be a wwii simulator without consideration of the actual tactics used then it becomes capture the flag on a larger scale.

My thoughts about true flight sim gameplay have always been that field capture was their to augment the air war. To me the focus was always about air combat. In the past year or so AH has shifted to more of "war winning" via reset and capture the flag that its quickly losing its appeal.

For wwiiol to become my home would need to rethink its gameplay. How can you have a wwii simulator with no encirclement or armored spearheads and pincers pushing deep along paths of least resistence when gameplay focus's you into towns and abs.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2002, 12:03:07 PM »
Perhaps because it is an online game with ppl who don't want to wait around and get encircled. You cant capture what has despawned. Spearhead and you either meet resistance at some town or not. Online requires ppl to be guided toward battles. You want to get..lets say 300 ppl to wait, while you saddle up, move toward a possibly nonexistant enemy, across the country side, while you hear that the army you were after is taking something somewhere else. I think what you ask for is not possible as long as ppl are behind the soldier.

Where would you send you spearhead if not for bridge towns, crossroads, taking country side only got attrition of forces, they still had to take towns and other important assets.

HC

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2002, 12:29:54 PM »
The victory conditions are wrong to begin with. I drew you a map before and expland in better detail. The Conditions  for victory should be The capture of Paris and the capitulation of France.  

Line of supply should follow road and rail and not necessarily locked to twns to support an advance. By this I mean as long as forward units have a link to Axis territory supplies get through. Road junctions and rail would be important control points. FBs along the front would supply spawn but spawn would limited unless theres a clear line of supply by road or rail.

To gain ownership of an encircled area you need to deplete the avail equipment in the circle. I no one spawns you loose. What happens now if a twn is atttacked and no one spawns.

If we are in an area with several spawn points , call umm what you want Fbs ab dont matter. From the time these areas are cut from supply they have x number of available units. If these units get depleted then are no more. If you rtb your unit it remains available to the next guy until its destroyed.

If you want minute details I am not spend a week or working out but its workable .

If you wanna argue over specifics again I am not gonna design a game for you. But this type of gameplay allows for more real tactics then jumping from strongpoint to strongpoint.

Its as doable as what they have now. It may not be doable considering how far into the current system they are but thats why I have no hope of it getting better.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2002, 02:09:43 PM »
Surround a town now and attrit it, you take it. Supplies are linked by rail and road. Spawn limits for all are in place. When you contest a town,  resupply stops until uncontested and timer ends.. You will be able to move equipment to forward bases and they will be added to the spawn in the next release. It seems to me what you want already exists.

Did I miss anything?

HC