Author Topic: WW2OL, 2nd Impressions  (Read 4493 times)

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2002, 03:00:53 PM »
Originally posted by Vermillion
A couple of questions?

1.) Did the Flight Models ever get fixed? It use to be there was a serious lack of fuselage drag (I'm not going to go into how it was proved) and planes could loop and turn forever. Energy was hardly ever lost.  (And don't even get me started on the "helicopter 110" ;) )

2.) Did load times ever improve? It got old to die and then have to wait for 3-5 mins to spawn again, because you were sitting there staring at the "loading" screen.

I loved the tank aspect of the game, thought it was great.  But the infantry (which were useless because tanks could kill you before you could see them) aspect, and the plane aspect left alot to be desired.  And the whole system resources thing was a real "game killer" in my opinon, and I had a decent system.

Heya Verm, not sure about the flight models, but the load time has been vastly improved. Mine loads in about 15 to 25 seconds tops.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
I'll try to get it downloaded...
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2002, 03:18:11 PM »
and give it a try over the weekend.  :)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2002, 07:06:05 PM »
No integrated voice comms?

To DL and setup just sounds too involved.  Maybe with a new CD release amnd integrated voice comms I will look into it but the DL time involved is the killer for me.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2002, 08:54:32 PM »
Down loaded the newest version to give it yet ANOTHER try.

First tried to get into a tank....not so lucky. I finally found a tank 3 cities away from a fight. Drove for 1/2 hour before giving up.

Second try I decided to join a mission in a tank. Ended up no where near a fight...old mission.

Third try I was an Axis rifleman. Was able to get to the fight quick enough but was killed on the road by an landmine?! Truck just blew up with all of us dying not even close to the fight.

Fourth try still an Axis rifleman and got close enough to see the city.....died by an unseen enemy.

Gave up!

I'm going to try it one more time tomorrow but after that the box goes into the trash.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2002, 09:30:38 PM »
Originally posted by Mighty1

Third try I was an Axis rifleman. Was able to get to the fight quick enough but was killed on the road by an landmine?! Truck just blew up with all of us dying not even close to the fight.

Seeing as how there are no landmines in AH chances were you were either taken out by an enemy tank, or you had a bomb dropped on you by a passing aircraft.

Believe me, you were IN the fight ... you just didn't realise it :)

Offline cobra427

• Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2002, 09:43:14 PM »
im start'n to notice the fight is frome the base you start at all the way to the target ......... could of been a hidden tank that killed you

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2002, 10:07:42 PM »
You must take mission since you have no rank. Stuff is limited now, so we run out of everything including inf. If a fight has been going on a long time the spawn list goes to nothing. Find a city with blinking icons of tanks or inf blinking  spwan there if it is yours. Look for a Firebase near an enemies city. Check the OOB page, second launch page, for frquencies you will need. Ask around. Taking a tank 3 cities away is a chore.

HC

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2002, 10:16:02 PM »
Tried it...

Still the same roadkill of tanks sniping people from waaaay  beyond visual range.

You wouldve thought that CRS wouldve at least looked into the disparity of a single infantryman clad in kahki , in tall grass, in between a dozen tall bushes and standing still would have a better chance of detecting a 10+ton dark grey tank clanking along a road.

In the game, the tank gunner will see the infantryman so easy it just aint funny.. 1 , 2 short bursts spraying MG upwards, and thanks to the *still* present no-dispersion tank MG, the tank just hoses the area at 2k yards and gets the kill. All the while the infantryman gets no identifiable sound cue (a tank far,far away still makes the same noise on yer speakers than one just behind you), cannot hide effectively, and is still totally and utterly at the mercy of tank quakers.

So I rolled an AT gun. You know, to kill the tank quakers camping the area with MG from loooong range.

Sneaky sneaky get the AT gun in position, set it up, get tank in sights, fire a few shots, get range quick, begin to score hits... then SMACK you dead. Tank just turned the MG at you and sprayed you out. Funny since my AT gun was almost shooting at max range. sigh. And I wont even mention that the AT gun, which has a huge shield in front of it to protect the crew, does nothing, 1 little spray and your crew just dies. sighX2.

Flight model.. same arcadish joke as always. I still love their icon system though.

The new animations are cool..but they just eye candy. I for one prefer some factual improvements over just adding more junk to kill my already squealing 12.1 FPS (GForce4 128 on a 1.4ghz 512DDR ram too! wow).

I will admit I enjoyed doing the gung ho and hiding in a forest when the germans overran the place.. then got myself on a nice hiding position that let me get a clear shot at their barracks. That lee enfield sure is nice. Popped an entire squad of guys who were in a truck waiting for the rest to load up. Pop pop pop pop pop pop pop and apparently flying pieces of brain warned the driver something was up and he left..never to return.  :D

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2002, 10:27:19 PM »
German tanks are bad news. Great optics. New gunners vs experienced gunners...you guess. Sniping is such a rush:D

HC

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2002, 10:28:58 PM »
Post your settings etc in Community Forum. You should be getting way more fps than that. Do you have NoLockToRefreshed checked?

Offline EvilDingo

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mp3.com/einsteinband
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2002, 10:59:41 PM »
EvilDingo 20mm shells kill A13 Cruisers pretty easily.
Use some flaps to keep your speed down, dive in steep angle and aim to the engine compartment or turret.

Ahh, very cool. I have been strafed while in an A13 and never had any trouble. I don't suppose brownings could de-track a tank? :) I have made half hearted attacks at the back of the various German tanks with no result.

1.) Did the Flight Models ever get fixed? It use to be there was a serious lack of fuselage drag (I'm not going to go into how it was proved) and planes could loop and turn forever. Energy was hardly ever lost. (And don't even get me started on the "helicopter 110"  )

I'm not sure Verm. There has been drag added to bomb loadouts, but I don't know if all the aircraft got an overhaul.

The aircraft do seem to have more energy than those in AH. At the same time, these are extremely manuverable slow moving planes.

When I last tried WWIIOL I could pull back on the stick all I liked and never enter a stall. Now, the Hawk will drop a wing and violently snap-roll if you try that at low speed. I don't have enough experience with WWIIOL now (or in the past) to know if it's been changed, but it seems like it.

I don't think accelerated stalls are modeled. Like AKWeav said, the biggest danger at high speeds is blacking out.

In my last WWIIOL trial no one ever seemed to BnZ and I never felt like I had any major advantage when I arrived at a dogfight above the pack. Now people tend to fly higher and energy fight.

So either the average pilot in WWIIOL has gotten better, or the amount of energy retained has been lowered. I guess you could look over the changelog in the past few patches to know for sure.

2.) Did load times ever improve? It got old to die and then have to wait for 3-5 mins to spawn again, because you were sitting there staring at the "loading" screen.

Thats one thing I can say with absolute certainty. The load times have been vastly improved. I do have a better computer now, but even so, once I have a vehicle selected, I spawn in the world in about 2-3 seconds.

I loved the tank aspect of the game, thought it was great. But the infantry (which were useless because tanks could kill you before you could see them) aspect, and the plane aspect left alot to be desired. And the whole system resources thing was a real "game killer" in my opinon, and I had a decent system.

I've only participated in a few infantry missions. They still look really goofy but seem to move much smoother than before. They now have more animations for reloading and whatnot.

You cant throw yourself into the middle of an armor battle and expect to live. When you play an infantry, you have to avoid tanks at all costs. The missions I've lived through involved running from house to house dodging tanks and taking out enemy infantry. When it works it's purely exhilerating. When you get taken out by a tank on a hill 1000 yards away, it's frustrating.

When a large battle is playing out, and you're in an organized attack, the tank=death equation doesn't come up as much. You'll have friendly tanks covering you and as long as you stick to the buildings (provided you made it that far) you'll have little trouble with tanks. You can't play infantry lonewolf style and live.

Beeker

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2002, 12:03:14 AM »
"When you get taken out by a tank on a hill 1000 yards away, it's frustrating."

Yeah. And thats what really aggravates me. If just this one aspect was taken care of, this would be a fine ground war sim for WW2.

I rolled my ol' fave tank, the french light cruiser tank (i call it a cannon jeep haha)... and even with its crappy optics i can put a hail of lead onto a church window on 1st floor and blow the idjit that peeked out of it. Saddest of all is it woulve taken me 3 or 4 cannon rounds to "range" the building itself, but an mg? just line crosshair with the window, and spray in upward motion. If you drive up to the window you will see a neat line of bullets going up the wall. I see no dispersion pattern to it, the holes are just a few mm's apart (less than half the width of the window). And this is from so far out that even with the optics the infantryman was only a greenish thing 2 or 3 pixels in width with no discernible features. Nuts, totally nuts those tank machine guns.

CRS really, really,really needs to add an Anti-Tank Rifle infantryman to the mettle, the infantry needs to have a way to disable a tank (track shots) or kill it (rear/under or topside shot at very close range).

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2002, 01:48:42 AM »
I cant log in.  Keeps saying "an error has occured."  I'm using the same acount from the previous free trial period.  wtf?
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2002, 01:53:00 AM »
EvilDingo 20mm shells kill A13 Cruisers pretty easily.
Use some flaps to keep your speed down, dive in steep angle and aim to the engine compartment or turret.
Short burst to back of the tank is usually enough to make it a rollin' bonfire.

Yeah they do but they shouldnt. Their mgff/m that are fused and are supposed to explode on impact. Another thing thats fluffied up in wwiiol.

Dont gimme no crap about 6mm armor on the a13 still would happen.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2002, 04:05:37 AM »
Flightmodels are about same but as you said panzers rule.

Game itself loads pretty fast now, maybe 10-15secs in  my computer and joining to the battle about same time.