Author Topic: What exactly does the pilot of a modern airliner do?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
What exactly does the pilot of a modern airliner do?
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2002, 09:53:21 AM »
Just what do you do gruenherz... for a career?

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2002, 09:53:54 AM »
Embarrased in the other thread? As I recall the Toad's zinger  was to say the annual reports were lies when they showed UAL had higher operating expenses than its rivals...

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2002, 09:54:54 AM »
I'm a student... That is my "career" for the moment.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2002, 09:58:28 AM »
Brillant thread guys. :D

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2002, 09:59:27 AM »
Hmm, I'm almost commercially rated, does that count?  I took the written and passed, just didn't do the flight test and such.  Plus, even if I did, all I could really do is take folks out sight seeing.  Boring, but...it does build up the logbook.

Well Toad, I know you have 3 BMW's back home...not bad for doing nothing  :p  

As for Unions, oh boy, don't get me going.  As a UPS Teamster, I've seen ample cases where UPS just stuffs their foot into their mouth and deserves the Teamsters.  Then again, the Teamsters are so misguided and afloat with mis-information, its painfully amusing.  They've been blasting me for being a Republican for months.  I told them, hey...I'm all for collective bargaining for higher wagers and better benefits.  I just have a hard time with the Union endorsing Democrats who propose raising taxes....wouldn't an organization that wants higher wages for its members be against its members loosing them to higher taxes?  Boy, ask them that and all I get are confused looks like "he has a point, but since he's a republican, he cant be allowed to be right" kinda stuff.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2002, 10:00:15 AM »
This thread reminds me of a story.......

An old high rise building was having electrical trouble. No matter who they called the lights wouldn't come on. Finally someone called the old electrician that had done the original work on the building.

The old man arrived at the scene, looked thoughtfully up and down the magnificent structure, pulled out a little hammer, walked up to the outside wall, and tapped the wall with his hammer.

The lights came on immediately.

The owners of the building were ecstatic. They asked the old man how much they owed him.

"$20,002.00" the old man replied. The owners were shocked! "Why?" they asked.

"That'll be $2.00 for hittin it with the hammer" replied the old man "and $20,000 for knowin where to hit."

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2002, 10:02:23 AM »
This thread is kinda fun...  Good way to get me riled up and kill time till LOTR.. :D

Toad which airline do you work for?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2002, 10:15:10 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
" but I only got a dodging answer from Toad, apparently the only current commercial pilot here.

Yep.

Because, IMO, you really aren't interested in learning anything.

Think on that, it'll come to you.

I'm still of that opinion despite your further posts.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2002, 10:18:57 AM »
Which brings up that nagging question..... how do all those overpaid guys get those overpaying jobs when I could do it just as well or better? ..... because it's sooooooooo easy.

The answer is simple - the union will not allow you to have that job even if I am willing to accept less.

There is no such thing as "deserved" in economics. Just what the customer would want to pay and what a worker would be willing to accept if they were free to make a transaction.

Apparently there are plenty of qualified  (ex-army) pilots willing to work for salaries somewhat less than prevalent in the industry - and unable to do so because of unions.

So unions screw up other workers by depriving them of jobs and also customers by making them pay extra.

CEOs are paid a lot - millions. How would those millions help airlines which are billions in the hole - Toad would have to explain. Anyway, CEO can be fired on a short notice and replaced with another guy, if one is available - unlike a unionised worker.
 CEO's compensatioin may vary a lot from year to year if the planes fly half full - unlike a unionised pilot who is paid the same for flying an empty plane.
 How much should a CEO be paid? Enough to attract a capable person from another position into a risky business of running an airline.
 How many guys would create new airlines, turn profit and increase employment while employee-owned airlines go bust for the salart Toad think "fair"?

There are no miracles here. Increasing salary may only be accomplished by restricting access to labor market - increasing income of employed at the expence of having more unemployed. When things go badly for a company, salaries cannot decrease so that production could stay teh same and still be profitable.
 So instead of fluctuation of prices and salaries in a free economy you have fluctuations in production and employment - which are very destructive for society.

miko

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2002, 10:19:37 AM »
I told you exactly where I got my info from a few airline pilots in casual conversation and from seeing the salaries and strikes on yes TV...
[/b]

Ever wonder why I'm the only one here ... and there's many..... that even bothered to engage this thread? I know how airline pilots talk to non-pilots about the job. I'll wager I know just about what they told you and why. :D

Also I wasnt the one who posted my bosses' high salaries and squeaked about their job perrorrmance, that was you Toad.

That is mere counterpoint to your previous spew about unions.

Personally, I don't care what they make. I'm one of those who think that if you make more than I do then maybe I'm the one that screwed up.

Their job performance stands on its own. Suffice it to say that if we flew like they manage the traveling public would all be dead by now. :D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2002, 10:22:57 AM »
Yea but I'm the guy who just asked a question, and not the one who turned this into an argument.

I guess the basic thing I was asking about is whats so hard in the pilots job than these highly paid proffessionals apparently go on strike so often.

And again you just say I'm being disingenous in my motives..

What airline do you work for Toad, if you care to say of course?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2002, 10:23:16 AM »
Embarrased in the other thread? As I recall the Toad's zinger  was to say the annual reports were lies when they showed UAL had higher operating expenses than its rivals...

Grun, did it ever occur to you that "standardized" accounting rules allow the companies to add in some costs to ASM cost that the Department of Transportation doesn't allow?

Did you ever stop to think why DOT numbers may not match annual report numbers?

The "standard" throughout the industry for ASM cost is the DOT numbers. I showed you those from two different sites.

But, hey... don't let that slow ya down.

Now, I'm off to the hospital to do some stuff to make the FAA happy about me doing my job. So, discuss amongst yerselfs.

I work for Leo the CEO, btw.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2002, 10:26:01 AM »
Oops.. gotta go

Miko, I'll be back. Some good stuff there that deserves an answer.

For example the replacing the CEO bit.

How long do you think it would take to replace a trained and qualified, unionised B767 Captain?

Think you can just grab an ex-military guy off the street and slap him in there?

I'll be back. I think.  :D

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2002, 10:29:17 AM »
Yeah. And it's those damn unions that keep wages high and qualifications down.  Without them, corporations could get great prices on skilled labor.  All they need to do is get together and fix some wages.  After all, what's one unemployed schmuck gonna do against the combined corporate weight of an entire industry?

Pilots are a bunch of slobs.  I mean look at these guys: they get paid a ridiculous sum of money.  Even the freight dogs and puddle jumpers get paid at least as much as a high school teacher.  And at the end of the day, they get to write their own hours in on the log.  They're unionized, and they're regulated by the FAA, one of the most protective agencies in the world.  So, for example, the FAA carefully regulates how many hours pilots can sleep between work shifts.
Sure, you might argue that a pilot does more work in the cockpit on the ground than in flight, but we don't have to worry about that.  Let's just pay them while they're in the air.  That way, they'll be sure not waste the passengers' time on the ground.
Plus these guys get vacations practically every week.  Flying all over the country for a day, then spending the night in some sexy airport hotel with a minibar (that for $10, you can even open), I mean how cool is that.
Plus up there, you catch some sweet rays, and you get baby-soft skin.  Man, just think how cool it must be to be around those sexy 45-year-old air hostesses all them time.
Modern cockpits make the job supereasy too.  If you're lucky, you'll get one of those new airbus toys that are ergonomic wonder.  Not even captain could make a landing like that.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2002, 10:36:11 AM »
Curval, all you did was nearly trip over Rip in your shameless, retarded spiteful enthusiasm, thinking I worked for a failing carrier, over a simple bbs comment on union wages. Did it hurt your “important businessman libido with super secret clients” so bad?  

Geezus, you couldn’t make a practical response on the issues when called on it, and now utter how it was all a “all I was trying to do was get a rise out of Creamo”.

How hard has anyone tried, in 3 or more different threads, to make me respond, and what’s your interest in me to make yourself sound so foolish to get my response? Weird.

Grun. You ARE  looking for a argument. Just go see Lord of The Rings.