Author Topic: The end of an era  (Read 825 times)

Offline lemur

• Zinc Member
The end of an era
« on: March 22, 2001, 03:13:00 PM »
More like the end of an epoch, actually.

Sad to say it, but it looks like EA is shutting down Kesmai studios. For those of you who don't know, Kesmai was the company behind the very first Massively multiplayer online sim: Air Warrior.

In fact, many of the great talents behind the current crop of MMP sims are allumni of Kesmai. And certainly a lot of players in here can trace their roots back to AW (I started playing DOS AW about 7 years ago)

While Kesmai isn't officially 'shut down' as of yet, they just laid off a whole slew of the 'old time' talent that had worked on AW for years. And I've been through enough mergers in my time to know this does mean the beginning of the end of Kesmai.

So, a moment of silence and a big <S>

~Lemur
p.s. Westy, if you say "I told you so" I'll hunt you down and vulch you until you cry  

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
The end of an era
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2001, 03:35:00 PM »
p.s. Westy, if you say "I told you so" I'll hunt you down and vulch you until you cry      

I wouldn't do that, honestly. That's for the small in heart to do. My speculation a year ago wasn't a wish but just calling things out as possibilites as I saw them.

To the friends I knew that may be coming over here? Welcome!!
 And to those who cannot or won't be? For with no AW-IV on the horizon who knows when ....(3mb mpg)  we''ll meet again

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 03-22-2001).]

Offline lemur

• Zinc Member
The end of an era
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2001, 03:47:00 PM »
Hence the " " Westy.

I have a lot more respect for you than the ostriches over in BigWeek who refused to see the world outside of AW.

Look on the bright side, with the whole AH vs. AW religious debate rendered moot, you can hang out in BW again.

Or not  

~Lemur

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
The end of an era
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2001, 05:55:00 PM »
Tis a sad sad day  

SALUTE Moggy & GreyEagle !!

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.no54squad.com
The end of an era
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2001, 06:32:00 PM »
Old shirts, Lucky socks, your kids first shoes...Air Warrior.
All things that may be hard to let go, but life goes on.
The sad thing is that Kesmai is not that old, and unlike an old pair of socks, they could have rebuilt it.
I know many of us tried our best to warn them, and I also hate to see the end.

I'm sure a company like EA sees the "Old Dogs" as washed out because they can't learn new tricks. Well, I don't believe it.  I think it's more like the dogs got comfortable with their kennel and started biting the had that fed them.  They thought they were the master.

All to often this is the way successful companies end.
But, I'd bet that many will follow in the same path even knowing the possible demise.

If I were in this business (any business for that matter), I would be saying to myself:
Tom, don't let ONE of your customer's complaints fall on deaf ears.
Do EVERYthing necessary to fix the problems, even if it means a total rebuild.
Offer restitution for any service agreement you can not fulfill, and DON'T let your company grow out of your reach.  Tom, you drive this company, and you can not drive if you can't reach the wheel!

Aces High is IMHO the best sim available, but I know in my heart that other sims will come, and they will be better.  I just hope that Dale and the gang can reach the wheel when that time comes.  

------------------
Sky Viper

[This message has been edited by Sky Viper (edited 03-22-2001).]

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
The end of an era
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2001, 10:11:00 PM »
This is indeed a loss.  AW was the fist online flight sim I ever played, and I had spent many an hour cruising the virtual skies looking for one more victory over DD or Moggy.  I eventually moved on because of the dearth of play in the more realistic arenas, but I never lost my love for the game.

The last I had checked it hadn't had a major update in many years, and was showing its age very clearly.

But in its day, there was no equal.  Eventually, its legend will fade, and the initials AW will lose their now well known meaning, its legend will fade, and all I'll have are my memories, and an old bill for $6/hour, that at the time, was worth every single cent.

Beurling

The end of an era
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2001, 05:04:00 AM »
Why did aw  die?

I know why. The guys who ran it!

Every time i interact with a AH guys i think respect. I never thought this about any of the aw  guys. Too bad.

Except for whels i must add. His head never got to big. He was always a help.

EYE

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
The end of an era
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2001, 07:41:00 AM »
Old software doesn't die, it 'just fades away'.

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
The end of an era
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »
It has gone to siliconheaven,,,,the same place all the calculators go,,,,,siiiighhhh.

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
The end of an era
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2001, 09:17:00 AM »
It's sad to see it go, like many here I started my sim career on aw dos, but the fact is they refused to keep current.  I'm suprised they've lasted this long.  IMO This will be good for the sim community, I'd like to see all of the old diehards over here as one big happy flight sim community again.  The future has some really cool stuff in store for flight simm enthusiasts, every year it gets better and better.  Here's to looking forward  

CRASH

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
The end of an era
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2001, 09:22:00 AM »
 Thanks Lemur.  Wish I could give ya a noogy to show you I feel likewise       When it comes to those <cough> discussions-turned-sh&tslings on "BigWeek" I got to auto-defend.

-Westy

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
The end of an era
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2001, 11:48:00 AM »

I'd like to see all of the old diehards over here as one big happy flight sim community again.

Sounds like a few of you guys with ties in AW should do a bit of marketing and get your buddies over here  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
The end of an era
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2001, 11:55:00 AM »

Originally posted by Beurling:
Why did aw  die?

I know why. The guys who ran it!

Every time i interact with a AH guys i think respect. I never thought this about any of the aw  guys. Too bad.

Except for whels i must add. His head never got to big. He was always a help.

EYE

Whels is a great guy, friend and foe alike, though I prefer him on Knits!

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
The end of an era
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2001, 12:35:00 PM »
Sounds like a few of you guys with tiesin AW should do a bit of marketing and get your buddies over here

Those that saw the light already moved to here or WB's. While a bunch always held out hope, offering their $10/mo as a sacrificial offering in the hopes it would help bring AW4 sooner, there's not much left out of that group of folks. Some more are coming here (or WB's) but for the rest? Either they do not  log online enough to fly for $30/mo, can't afford $30/mo period, PC won't let them run much more than AW in "2D" or they're the real hard-hardcore and they've decided to go down with the good ship AirWarrior.

-Westy