Author Topic: View system survey, please check it out!  (Read 769 times)

Offline Graywolf

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flibble.org/~tim
View system survey, please check it out!
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2001, 06:19:00 AM »

Snap views most of the time. Panning and zoom when looking around during cruise, hunting ground vehicles and working out what bit of an airfield needs some 1000lb presents from my Typhoon.

The snap views feel right, instant views just seems very crude and dated to me now.
Panning lets me move my head around and look past both sides of the nose. It also lets me look down without having to roll/sideslip which can be usefull at times.

------------------
Graywolfe <tim@flibble.org>

Offline Laika

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2001, 07:25:00 AM »
snap

Offline Dusky

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »
100% Snap view for me.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »

Beltfedd

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2001, 02:39:00 PM »
Hmmm... compared to you all my view use appears a bit freakish.

Top two buttons on my joystick are configured to switch back between snap and pan mode.  

I pretty much use both modes constantly.  If I'm trying to gain angles on someone, I use pan to track them (kind of a manual padlock) until I feel like I'm reaching a solution.  If I'm confident that I'm about to saddle up good, I'll switch back to snap mode, checking 6 every couple of seconds as I follow my target.  Target starts to maneuver out of 12 o'clock, I will switch back to pan and track him while I manuever.

Am I the only one who does this?

Belt

Offline NHMadmax

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mofsw.com
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2001, 03:24:00 PM »
None i cant see a look around the screen reading brail

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2001, 04:33:00 AM »
Bowser:
(sorry for late answer, dont scroll these pages as often as I used to)

Having a Saitek I use command >F7 + Left + Num 2< and >F7 + Right + Num 2< for said maneuver.Is there a smarter way?

danish

Offline gospel

• Zinc Member
      • http://http://www.ropescourse.org/flying.htm
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2001, 02:57:00 PM »
Snap view.

Don't use padlock or pan- hard to teach an ol' dog new tricks.  

gos

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2001, 04:10:00 PM »
danish,

When you said "lean out", I thought you meant AH has something similiar to WBs "U" command, where you can switch to a view that actually simulates sticking your head out the cockpit.  Handy for taxiing and carrier landings.

f7+left hat+num2 is left back in snap mode.  I take it you don't have an 8 position hat?..because that's a normal view with an 8 position hat.
As for the view mode, left hat+num2 should work in either snap mode (f7) or instant mode (f9).  It does for me.

bowser

Offline buhdman

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2001, 05:01:00 PM »
Lephturn,

I use the snap view mode, mostly.  I have the hat switch on my TM stick programmed for forward-up, right, back, and left, then I program three buttons on my throttle for forward, back, and up, so I can use them to modify my hat stick view. For example, if I want to look back, left, and up, I can push the hat left while pressing the up and back buttons on the throttle.  This gives me just about any view I want with minimal thinking (once I learned which button was which, that is).

Due to an unfortunate lack of buttons and a priority conflict between more necessary functions (flaps, trim, etc), I don't have a down button programmed.  But I find I only need this in a bomber, when my hands are free to press the KP0 key, or when I'm in one of those German 190s, where the fuel guage is down below normal line of sight.  In the case of the 190, if I want to look at or manipulate the fuel selection, I have to switch to the pan view for a moment, pan down, adjust the fuel selector, then switch back to snap view.  This is awkward, but it works.

Hope this helps.  Your point about head position adjustment is right on.  I customize just about every head position to give me the "best" view I can get.  Doesn't work in some planes like the new P-51B, where I get mostly "just ok" views, but I'm not complaining.

Thanks!

Walt (Buhdman) Barrow

------------------
Walt (buhdman) Barrow
(formerly lt-buhd-lite)
The Buccaneers - "Return with Honor"
home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2001, 04:36:00 AM »
Thx bowser :=) will give it a try.Long time since I made the setup, cant remember the reason exactly anymore.

danish altzheimer danish

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2001, 04:45:00 AM »
I use snap and instant view (NumPad) all the time.

I would really like to use the padlock view, but AHs Padlock is BS, i am used to EAW and FAs "smooth padlock" and so i cant get used to this step by step padlock of AH.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2001, 05:48:00 AM »
I use snaps all the time. With instant views you cant pan, with no pan you can't see through cockpit upper/frontal "art". And the actual padlock is like an automatic snap view system (dont know why they call it padLOCK, it doesn't lock anything).

I was very dissapointed by AH padlock. It should be very usefull to track the point where a target is when obscured by some upper cockpit art (like 190 upper bar, or 109 frontal cockpit mess). In RL a quick move of the head (2 inches or less) will give you the oportunity to track the target all the time, but here the pan is waaaaay slow and the padlock doesn't track the target, only a general and absurd direction where the con is, so, most of the time I'm doing unnecesary moves with my 190 or 109 just to see the enemy icon I'm following at his 6 o'clock.

HT, if you are reading this, please give us a decent padLOCK, or give us the oportunity to configure the pan speed. Or, in the worst case, show the enemy icons all the time when the cons are obscured by upper or frontal cockpit art (or by the vertical tail section).

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2001, 06:07:00 AM »
Mandoble, ever tried the padlock of FA? Its great, gives u the feeling of the movement of both planes, once u get used to it.

Ask sturm, brady and other FA vets. U can fight a 1on1 completly outta this padlock, without losing control. Padlock was responsible for most of my succeslful snapshots, in ACM like the scissors.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2001, 08:54:00 AM »
Naudet, the best padlock implementation I've seen to date is in Falcon4 (also best sim to date and best bug to date). THAT IS A PADLOCK. No loose of control at all, no loose of SA at all (you can check any static view and readquire, if still visible, your locked target). And, very important, you can select targets to track without taking in consideration the upper/frontal cockpit art.

IMO, the cockpit bars shouldn't disturb the ability to select/view a target, but the sun and the night should do.