Author Topic: View system survey, please check it out!  (Read 794 times)

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
View system survey, please check it out!
« on: March 24, 2001, 08:50:00 AM »
Hi guys.

As a follow up to my new view article here:  http://users.eastlink.ca/~sconrad/views.htm

I would like to know what view systems folks are using?  If it's anything other than snap views, please tell me why.

1.  Snap views
2.  Instant views
3.  Pan views
4.  Padlock view.

If you use a combination, please describe the situations in which you use the different view systems.

I'm trying to see if I've missed anything with the article and find out what folks are using out there.  

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2001, 09:20:00 AM »
I use the snap views while in a fighter.

I often will F3 and pan while in a bomber or vehicle so I can see cons or just pass the time  

Great article!<S>

[This message has been edited by skernsk (edited 03-24-2001).]

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2001, 09:21:00 AM »
Instant views.
I understand your point that the pan movement in the snap view is useful for orientation, but I find snap views a bit too slow.  With enough use, orientation isn't a problem with the instant views though.

bowser

Mk10 225th

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »
I use the numpad views, and they snap back to straight ahead when I let go of whatever number or combination of numbers I'm pressing.

Mk

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2001, 09:48:00 AM »
I use Pan View 95% of the time mostly because I find it easier to get orientation of all objects, especially ground targets whilst I'm circling above.  The snap/instant views just affect a balance condition I have and too much can literally make me sick.  I'll only use instant view if checking my 6/evading a bandit on my 6.

I must say that I don't have any problems with pan view, it can be a tiny bit on the slow side but you soon get used to it.  I also find it a little more realistic but that's just my opinion.  It would be nice to have an adjuster available to alternate the speed of pan view.

Regards

Nexx
NEXX

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2001, 09:52:00 AM »
I use the snap views while in a fight.  I found that the instant views are a bit disorienting for me.  When I am searching for low cons, gv's or ack status at a field, I will often use the pan view with zoom.

funked

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2001, 09:53:00 AM »
Snap views when fighting, pan views when hunting.

Offline Exile

• Gold Member
      • http://www.simladder.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
Instant views.

I use the arrow keys to switch between views and the hat on my stick to toggle the up view. I tried using the snap views at first, but they just moved too slow and were a bit disorienting.

------------------
Exile
Tard Extrodinaire

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2001, 10:03:00 AM »
Lephturn,

I use the direct instant views exclusively. I use a CH F-16 Fighter Stick and have programable two programable hats for veiws. There are several reasons I use this Instead of the others.
  • 1   The instant view is the fastest
  • 2   I can set each possition for best head veiw in each plane. I fly the P-51 so this is not as important as it might be in a ride that has more resticted side and rear views.
  • 3   I can reference 90 degree orientations faster for line ups and intersecting.

I use the 8 way upper hat as follows (visualise the hat as a clock for positions)...
  • default........LOOK FWD [8]
  • 12:00..........LOOK FRONT UP [KP/]*
  • 1:30 ..........LOOK FWD RIGHT [9]
  • 3:00...........LOOK RIGHT [6]
  • 4:30 ..........LOOK BACK RIGHT [3]
  • 6:00...........LOOK BACK [2]
  • 7:30 ..........LOOK BACK LEFT [1]
  • 9:00...........LOOK LEFT [4]
  • 10:30 .........LOOK FWD LEFT [7]

I use the 4 way lower hat as follows (visualise the hat as a clock for positions)...
  • 12:00..........LOOK UP [5]
  • 3:00...........LOOK UP RIGHT [Insert]*
  • 6:00...........LOOK BACK UP [KP0]*
  • 9:00...........LOOK UP LEFT [Delete]*
* marked commands are keymaped and assigned through speekey in CH

Note:I set each veiw the way I prefer and save each head position. The beauty of the design of Aces High lets you do this for each plane and it distiguishes them from each other.

This is probably common knowledge for most pilots but maybe it may help someone out there. I would love to here from NathBDP and Hristo!

Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2001, 11:46:00 AM »
I use snap views all the time in AH. My old sim only had pan views and I thought that was best but its way too slow for scissors fights and other manouvering.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2001, 11:47:00 AM »
Pan view.  Same reasons as Nexx.

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2001, 12:22:00 PM »
Snap views on the keypad.  I use pan in zoom mode.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2001, 03:48:00 PM »
Instant views in fighter cockpit
with KP8 set to view instruments.

I find the snap view disorienting in a furball.  I like the speed of the instant view, and after spending a couple of years in AW, its the system i prefer by a large margin.

Snap views in Bombers and vehicles just because when i switch back and forth from external to internal or vice versa the DAMN VIEW system resets to SNAP if i have changed it. (WISH WE COULD SET OUR OWN DEFAULT VIEW MODE!!)  suggested that several times over the last 8 months...

SKurj

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2001, 04:00:00 PM »
I use the Snap/Pan view. The one that pans as it switches to each view. It offers the best SA. Instant views (I suppose you mean the one that doesn't pan quickly to each view) don't offer me anything. Instant views are for 2D cockpits,Snap/Pan view is for 3D cockpit. I use what is best for me and the cockpit. Panning around by itself is too slow for me to use online. But definitely nice for taking screenshots offline.
-SW

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2001, 04:12:00 PM »
Snap views all the way for me.  I prefer the increased SA that comes from seeing everything between the various views.  It's gotten to the point that instant view changes feel unnatural to me.

Doesn't EAW utilize snap views as well?  I think that's where I first got around to preferring this method over instant view changes.

-- Todd/DMF