Author Topic: Wotan  (Read 622 times)

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Wotan
« on: December 25, 2002, 10:27:46 PM »
Noticed you are from Jax, I lived on the northside by oceanway and worked at Joseph's restaurant on main st. Is the springfield section still the bad part of town? It was strange to see all those old colonials in springfield (most buildings down there are single story block houses or trailers). No one realizes how old that area is. Yes, I know st. augustine is the first coast;)  I miss driving on the beach at the jetty's(spell?) When did they take down the fat tuesday's at the landing? I miss shrimpin in the middle of the night too. Got to visit again.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Wotan
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2002, 02:43:07 AM »
Sorry, should have posted at the O club. But seeming i'm here, can we get a map that will utilize the GV's? The bob map is nice, but once you land onshore, you can't advance forward on the ground. If there were some forward spawn points that would be great. You could actually do an operation sealion event. Does anyone have bob .oba file they can email me? I could add the spawn points myself. Thnx.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Wotan
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2002, 08:55:58 AM »
Springfield is still the bad side of town but they started refurbishing those colonials by block.  The city and a developement company came up a plan to auction off houses to contractors and then the contractor has xx time to complete the job or there is a penalty.

Still a crappy neighborhood though. My buddy owns a liquor store off 8th and main right down the the street from the 1st union bank. A friend of his, Sammy Safar (owned Safar, a pool/room bar in arlington), was kidnapped from the bank and killed over $30000. Turns out it was by 2 cops. They worked at the bank off duty as guards because the area was so bad.

I used to live on 1st street in Jax beach. But now I live west of the intercoastal off Beach blvd.

When the shrimp are runnin we spend the week end nights pulling um in. Great time. Fish meal patties with rock salt baits umm up nicely.

We go flounder giggin now and again. We set up an innertube to hold a car battery and rigged a poll up off it to hold a light. We walk in waist deep water at night. If ya move real slow you get up on the flounder and stick with your gig.

As to your map well I am out of the loop as far as that goes but its certainly possible to do what you said.

If you look at the old europe map you will see a series of sb and aaa at the coast in key areas. To do d-day or simulate any invasion you could add structures on the cost (maybe a vhanger) or the new revetments could serve as a gv spawn. You can increase the number of troops needed to capture these "vbases". You could crerate a series of these to simulate a beach head. Once they are captured you can then spawn vehicles.

You could also by following the pattern of the euro map have coastal defense and a proper "shingle" with barricades and all. You could have radar bases like in the bob map.

It would be a good project for some one to develope a new western euro map with an idea on more then just an immediate scenario. You could add sub pens, and ports (like Dieppi). With the vbases like I said above to be placed in areas resembling d-day and in England For operation Seelowe. Western france should be developed in depth instead of just at the coast and a few airfields scattered about inland. You add small villages with gv spawn points so you get some city fighting in gvs in. I wonder if one could create hedge rows as well......Most likely...........

But I am slowly pulling back from AH and currently I am only keeping my account up for Niemen. After that I will take a break as I am burnt on the game. I've been playing for 3 years and have only been away for maybe a month or so here and there.

I can contact a few map makers and see if this is something they wanna take on.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Wotan
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2002, 06:48:33 PM »
Two cops huh?, Wow, strange story. If there any safe place left in the world today? Anyway, thnx for the info, been pretty burnt with AH myself lately. Gonna start working on some maps instead. Here is a pic of the storm we got on xmas day. This time of year ice fishing pretty popular;)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Wotan
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2002, 08:23:09 PM »
I was born near Philthydelphia and grew up outside Wash DC. Came ne florida after 6 years in the Navy riding a fast attack sub.

Havent seen Snow in like 12 years :)

If your into maps everything you suggested or mentioned if your post is doable.

Make me a snow angle :)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Wotan
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2002, 11:04:38 AM »
Originally posted by Wotan
I was born near Philthydelphia  

Where?

- oldman

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Wotan
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2002, 11:51:04 AM »
Born in Jax

moved to New Orleans at age 5

moved back 9th grade - through HS -Terry Parker '77 - Go Braves :)

moved to Tampa in 83

In-laws still live there - Ft Caroline/Arlington area

place sure has changed - jax beach looks scary -used to be THE place on weekends - u could drive & park ur car on the beach.

Hanna Park (once walked from there to Jax pier in search of stuff :)) was better with the dunes but Pondre Vedra (s of the crossroads) was the best beaches if you liked solitude. Now the sides of the roads there have No Parking posted every 20 ft. Times change ................
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Wotan
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2002, 03:54:07 PM »
Media, Pa

The Jax pier collapsed last year when an offshore  hurricane caused hi surf. The city will rebuild pier but not in the same spot. They refurbished quite a bit of the beach especially south jax beach toward Ponte Vedra.

J ville has had a building boom over the last few years. Trades  men are cleaning up. They have improved the roads and built new bridges etc..... Aint to bad.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Wotan
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2002, 05:19:41 PM »
That's a picture of a storm?? :D
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Wotan
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2002, 12:14:36 PM »
One foot of snow......and one sore back:(