Author Topic: Do you like GVs???  (Read 624 times)

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
Do you like GVs???
« on: December 26, 2002, 05:24:15 PM »
Well I just gotta tell everyone to check out the GV area in the DA.
I dont know who made the map but its awesome.  The GV area is in lower left, its a big city with 3 spawns per country. VERY FUN! Grab a friend or 6 & go check it out!!!
Anton

Offline Vipermann

• Nickel Member
Do you like GVs???
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2002, 06:17:20 PM »
I never used to but now since they fixed the GV's to be able to actually climb hills and get places they are much more fun
Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dieing

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
Do you like GVs???
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2002, 03:15:17 PM »
back to top-----

Offline chunder'

• Zinc Member
Do you like GVs???
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2002, 06:17:34 PM »
I absolutely love the ground war portion of AH, even more so now with the torque change and the addition of the Tiger I.  I would very much like to someday see the ground war expanded with more vehicles and the addition of artillary (called in and directed by Jeeps/Kubels etc).

Offline StracCop

• Copper Member
      • http://www.digitaldioramas.com/
Do you like GVs???
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2003, 04:05:57 PM »
I love it and am quickly becoming addicted to it.  

I've found that I'm not alone since I keep seeing the same people in GVs everytime I go to tread.  If the vehicle set is fleshed out and some other terrain features like cover, tunnels, large cities, towns and villages -  and strat targets to hinder GV movement (bridges - rivers) are added (did I mention weather like rain and snow? ;)) this 'flight' sim will be one hell of a complete wargaming adventure!

Now if I could just get enough air cover to avoid getting bombed into oblivion I would be all set. ;)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2003, 04:33:05 PM by StracCop »

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Do you like GVs???
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2003, 08:09:44 AM »
I keep pushing for an M4A2 Sherman, or a Sherman with rockets (can't recall the actual military designation), along with the M7 Priest.  Since the new release came out, I'm spending more time in Panzers than I am in planes.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Do you like GVs???
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2003, 08:28:42 AM »
Rocket-armed Sherman--Calleope:

Offline rosco

• Copper Member
Do you like GVs???
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2003, 08:46:59 AM »
I wouldnt say i love it but often ill feel the need to spawn a panzer and blow stuff up. Preferably ostwinds :)

Offline maxtor

• Nickel Member
Do you like GVs???
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2003, 08:58:09 AM »
GV's need some sort of cover available in forested areas from airplanes.  In particular the well hidden small vehicles like M3's, m-16's and M-8's.  Short of redesigning the game - I wondered if this was possible:

(1)  Perhaps with in a certain distance from a terrain tree, GV icon would not be visible to aircraft at any range (to simulate being under a tree).

(2)  Perhaps in certain terrain tiles could have variable GV icon ranges?  Wooded areas having no icon at all, and at the other extreme desert having longest icon range.

(3)  Design skins for the GV's suitable for that map's terrain.  In our hypothetical MA arena, desert camo probably wouldnt be used in forrest - nor would forrest camo be used in a desert.

Perhaps these things could be done in the framework of the existing system?  

Thanks

(also going to post this in gameplay forum - got longer than I planned)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2003, 09:01:13 AM by maxtor »

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Do you like GVs???
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2003, 09:13:29 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Rocket-armed Sherman--Calleope:

That's the one!

I think within the way the MA is structured, the Sherman Calleope would fit in nicely, combining a strong rocket punch with a 5mph faster top speed than a Panzer but hampered with slightly weaker armour and weaker main gun.

The Calleope would have 57 rockets (according to the photo above) which is less than the maximum number of shells fired by the Tiger and Panzer, and it would whatever shell rounds a Sherman would've carried.  I'm thinking it would have a similar shell capacity and lethality as the M8 Greyhound but I could be wrong.  I'm not really a WW2 armour expert.

If a GV CT or TOD were developed,  the German force of Tiger, Panzer, and Ostwind would be nicely balanced by a Sherman Calleope, M8, and M16.

The M7 Priest would serve the roll of mobile long-range artillery, particularly effective for dealing with carriers launching an airbase assault.   I'm thinking it could also serve as an improvised tank destroyer.

(edit: corrected some grammar problems and fleshed out some ideas)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2003, 10:20:42 AM by gofaster »

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Do you like GVs???
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2003, 09:34:11 AM »
HiTech has said that cover and concealment for GV's is in the works, as is a towed artillery piece.  In the last TE release, there were also a bunch of new objects, all prefaced with the designation "TB" (i.e. TBBarn, TBWall, etc).  These included partially destroyed buildings and walls.  Two new terrain objects were introduced, one that is undestroyable and another that is destroyable by anyone (friendly fire and enemy).  He is also looking at a floating forest canopy that will float above the ground, similar to the way cover is done in IL-2.

BTW, I've really gotten into GV's lately.  Kanttori is updating his Fin-Russ terrain to include some city/towns set up for GV combat, using all these new objects.  These include 2 or three new bridges, btw.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline StracCop

• Copper Member
      • http://www.digitaldioramas.com/
Do you like GVs???
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2003, 09:46:04 AM »
Well, since we're talking about what we'd like to see I think the Allies could do with a tank destroyer - specifically, an M-10 Wolverine.  After all, when the Shermans's get perforated what's left to kill those damn Tigers? ;)

David

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Do you like GVs???
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2003, 10:17:12 AM »
Originally posted by Sabre
Kanttori is updating his Fin-Russ terrain to include some city/towns set up for GV combat, using all these new objects.  These include 2 or three new bridges, btw.

That's the best news I've heard all day!

I'd like to see the Fin-Russ terrain introduced into the MA some day.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Do you like GVs???
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2003, 10:21:59 AM »
Kewl thread, ground war is alot of fun lately. Pretty soon there might be an event featuring the gv's. The fixes with the armor have helped alot too. Bring the T-34!
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)