Author Topic: Cure For Head On's  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2002, 06:22:39 AM »
HOs are the easiest thing in the world to avoid. And if you're close to the ground, you can push under his nose and hope he hits the dirt trying to squeeze the HO out of the encounter.

Personally I prefer front quarter shots. Much more satisfying.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2002, 08:50:25 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Ask Curval.;)

rc51...back in July I was seriously annoyed at having fought two bad guys into a canyon...I had all the advantages possible and dove into to finnish them, one at a time.  On that dive the lead plane turned and HO'ed me.

I whined about it here and Mr. Toad pointed out that in the desparate situation the enemy planes were in that the pilot who killed me did all he could to get out of it by HOing me.  It didn't make me feel any better but I couldn't argue with him.  I vowed back then that I would get good at avoiding HOs and get good at killing guys in the HO.

I have succeded in the former...not really in the latter.  In fact the ONLY time I get HOed now is when "I" am attempting to hit the enemy plane head-on as well.

They really are easy to avoid.  When the con is just over 1.0k out I barrel roll and use a bit a rudder...they miss every time.  Sometimes I will try and fire a burst at the bad guy if in a good position to do so...but, wait too long to roll and I become a victim...and I have only myself to blame.

There is no point in squeaking about it here...trust me..I know.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2002, 09:58:03 AM »
Thank you, Curval.

It's better coming from one who has broken through the HO "attitude" barrier I think.

Because after all, seeing an oncoming aircraft as either an "impending HO" or an "opportunity to gain angles" is pretty much all in your attitude, isn't it?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2002, 10:10:10 AM »
I like the moral high ground objections to headons, just like I do with chute shooting.  It makes it all the more enjoyable when you do them.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2002, 10:17:36 AM »
Americans used the head on as a valid tactic against the japs... the germans used the head on as a valid tactic against buffs... everyone used head ons when they had a chance...  It is a valid tactic but.. if you don't like it.... don't participate.   yep... it is your choice.

now... how exactly does Il2 make it impossible for people to head on?    What "realistic" feature do they use that makes it so superior to AH as far as the head on goes?
lazs

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2002, 11:03:00 AM »
One time I dove from a HO against a F4u at about 15K and he pulled up before me.  Next thing I saw was 2 small black objects flying past my windshield and I exploded.  The F4u had dropped his eggs to engage me.  I laughed so hard I spewed beer out my nose:D   Oh well.......

Tactical Officer
99TH ASTAG  Swift to Avenge
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2002, 11:32:36 AM »
Originally posted by Urchin
  WT.. there is more than one kind of lead turn.

Urchin he mentioned a lead turn.  I reffered to only a lead turn not all of the other possibilities. ;)

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2002, 12:56:44 PM »
Originally posted by DadRabit
One time I dove from a HO against a F4u at about 15K and he pulled up before me.  Next thing I saw was 2 small black objects flying past my windshield and I exploded.  The F4u had dropped his eggs to engage me.  I laughed so hard I spewed beer out my nose:D   Oh well.......

Tactical Officer
99TH ASTAG  Swift to Avenge

lol, did the bombs hit you, or was it the splash damage from the bombs?

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2002, 03:23:57 PM »
The absolute worst solution for HO's was in AW.

Not allowing any hits to be scored from the front. It was horrible. An arena full of dweebs pulling rediculous lead turns right in front of your guns knowing you can't hit them.

Believe me one day of that and you would screaming to bring the head on to AH. Believe me it's not that bad.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2002, 03:40:52 PM »
HO arent a big deal most of thime, just avoid them. They were only a real problem for a few months a while back when prolly 1/3 of the people were flying chogs. You could avoid them of course but it was more difficult since they had so much ammo and sprayed and sprayed, and they were everywhere.

Offline GPreddy

• Copper Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2002, 04:12:34 PM »
This A6M tried the dive under opponents nose to avoid ho trick on me. According to the film I fired sixteen rounds and scored four hits. Diving under the nose isnt enough you have to keep changing angles or you will still be easy to hit. When someone comes in fast and I can change angles faster I usually try to maximize the angles by getting above his gun sight and not below. Gravity makes it harder for them to change angles in that direction.

Offline GPreddy

• Copper Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2002, 04:21:57 PM »
This 51 came down with plenty of e and a lot of chances to avoid the ho. His spray and pray didnt work until after it was too late and he did no damage to me. I think he assumed the f4u I was in was equipped with .50s. Boy was he wrong. As he slipped past I could see he still had his rockets so I was right in taking the ho or he might have hit my cv.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2002, 04:39:54 PM »
This A6M tried the dive under opponents nose to avoid ho trick on me.

Don't try and out fox GP's HO's with ACM!

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2002, 04:51:17 PM »
Originally posted by GPreddy
This A6M tried the dive under opponents nose to avoid ho trick on me. According to the film I fired sixteen rounds and scored four hits.

So you mean to tell me it doesnt take 2 people to HO on a merge? Wow........

But GP i bet you cant get those kind of shots every time someone comes under your nose can ya?

IMO only spray and pray shots,  i bet you wouldnt HO if the zeke had his nose pointed in your face....

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2002, 05:09:21 PM »
That zeke screwed up.  To avoid a HO, I recommend being somewhat offset to one side.  I also like to be below my opponent, coming up into him at the merge.  It doesn't take much practice to get it down right.