Author Topic: Feb 15, 1940 a torpedo broke the Merchants back...  (Read 365 times)

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
Feb 15, 1940 a torpedo broke the Merchants back...
« on: December 28, 2002, 05:36:04 PM »
21.51 when the plume of the torpedo rose from the British merchant.
Immediately  a destroyer was sited a 110 degrees and closing. Crash
dive was ordered as the destroyer headed inbound to lay her first pattern.
70 meters, 90 degree turn, running silent as the first pattern exploded.
3 more passes, depth charges going off just out of range..
All the evasives, changing speeds, headings, depths came up empty..

We were cornered, a few more passes and it would be over..

22.29 Order came to blow ballest at 90 meters just after a new pattern was dropped.
We weren't going out with out a fight. Up we came, sited the Destroyer at 85 degrees
at 1300 yards going away. High angle shot but it's all we had. Fired two foreward
torpedos, all ahead flank, full right rudder to the the same direction of his turn.
One last shot out of our stern tube...

The first two had already missed as crash dive was sounded at 22.36..

We were passing 60 meters as word came that the third torpedo was overdue...

22.37 at 95 meters we were hit and damaged by 4 depth charges. With fire and flooding
emergency reverse was ordered followed by all stop. We settled on the bottom in
128 meters of water and lay still as the high speed screws continued with their
search patterns above..

On Feb 16, 1940 at 00.48 we came off the ocean floor and all ahead slow at 80 meters
was ordered...

Sonar was clear...

Silent Hunter II, all updates and patchs including Das Boot German sound tracks :D

It's amazing what you see in your minds eye as it is all played out looking at these gauges..

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2002, 07:43:55 PM »
I'd love to take my Porter Class DD and come do battle with ya Poopster. :) Though I think I would be the one that poops his britches as I royaly suck at DC.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline swoopy

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2002, 07:58:23 PM »
SH2 is a class game same as DC:D
Vosnik
9 GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2002, 08:16:34 PM »
sh2 is a great game- when it works (seldom).  major problems. actually had it running for awhile then it started crashing again.

tech suport really sux. it has a 'screen to black' program that runs in the background (so you don't see the desktop when it switches views)  the program kept locking up, and the only thing that would be running is this black screen.  I wrote tech suport and explained this problem and they told me how to disable the black screen.  they said that then I would see flashes of my desktop while playing but when the game crashes it would crash directly to desktop, not that black screen:rolleyes:   very helpful folks

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2002, 10:35:53 PM »
:D Good game. I love sinking merchant ships :)

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2002, 11:43:46 AM »
Apathy SH2 was an abandoned child that got put out late with problems. I think UBI picked up the rights late in the game. The community has taken the ball and is running with it. With one patch from UBI, and multiple addons and enhancements by the community it's got it's "cult" following a year after release. Us gauge watchers are a dedicated bunch :)

Go here: http://www.subsim.com/ and go to the download section.

Do a fresh install, then install this patch: SH2-DC INTEROP  v1.1  PATCH - by Ubi-Soft/Ultimation

It has these crash fixes along with enhancements

Fixed problem with interface file corruption on some Windows 2000 and XP systems.
Fixed intermittent crash in damage control station on Windows 2000 and XP systems
Fixed problem involving the "spawning" of surface ships in scenarios. This fixes a crash in the "Fortress Europe" mission.
Moved storage of interface textures from system memory to video memory. This fixes an occasional game slowdown or crash on certain combinations of Windows 95/98/ME systems and Nvidia video cards.
Fixed a crash that occurred when many simultaneous sound effects were played on certain Win98/ME systems with Soundblaster Live! or Audigy soundcards.
Fixed intermittent crash caused when aircraft targeted while the AI is manning the deck gun. Additionally, the deck gun will now no longer fire at aircraft when "Man the deck gun" is selected.
Fixed a bug in the Vehicle Viewer that caused a crash on exit on some systems.

Then install  Projekt Messerwetzer

I've added 7 different mods available there besides. One enables Nvida cards that give the reflections in the water from Russians picture.

At the first of the year Projekt Schwertfish is being released which is a 150 meg sound file intergrating all new sounds with Das Boot sound bites. I have the first version and it rocks. The second is a complete rework of the first and is suppose to be 100% better.

Then take a look at the Wolfpack site ( 9300 members ): http://www.sh2fleet.com/index.htm

Looks like Beefcake and I may have the opportunity to do battle after all :)

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2002, 12:44:59 PM »
thanks,
I'll have to give it a fresh look.  I haven't deleted it yet but I also haven't played it in months.

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2002, 12:37:16 AM »
Nopoop,

I know the developer of SH and SH2 (Rick Martinez) very well (we worked on Panzer Commander together). The abandonment of SH2 development was nothing he could control.

Have you checked out the interview movies on the CD? If memory serves there was some interviews with the technical advisors (WW2 submarine types) on the CD.

Mike/wulfie