Author Topic: Getting Strat to Work...?  (Read 502 times)

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Getting Strat to Work...?
« on: December 29, 2002, 09:31:02 PM »
First off, many thanks to Pokie for his TEdit-Starting.txt tutorial.  I've been dinking with the editor for about 6 months and have never made one that didn't immediately crash when I tried to fly it, until I read this :)

Anyway, you Editing Gods, I have some questions about getting strat to work.  The help file that comes with the editor is obsolete because it still talks about those depot things we had way back when.  So I'm having to figure this out by trial and error, and so far that's not working.

SITUATION:

I'm using v2.11 or whatever version of the editor came out a couple days ago.

There are no errors found in the Object Report and the map doesn't crash the game when flown offline.  In fact, everything seems to work perfectly except the strat system.

Offline, I'm using all the default arena settings.

Map is based on Pokie's TEdit-Starting.txt.  Finished this tutorial and then started adding strat stuff.  So each country has a large field and an HQ, each in their own zone.

Added a big chunk of grass around the nit field.  On this, I added a city and 1 each of the 5 types of factories.  Each factory is correctly set for country (2-nits) and zone (2).  The nits are the only country that have any factories or a city.

The factory and city shape groups match the new ones in use currently in the arena.

Each factory has a train track leading to it.  Each track runs S-N for 2 miles.  Each track carries all country supplies to a 1-mile radius.  The tracks run either through or right beside each factory, so the factories are within the radius.

Each track has a train assigned to it.  Each car of each train is set for correct country, zone, and track.

The nit field (2) has a road leading to its town.  The desitination of the road is field 2 and it carries all field supplies.  The road is 2 miles long and has a convoy assigned to it.  Each truck of the convoy has the correct road, country, and zone assigned.

The city and HQ have nothing leading to them.

All tracks and the road just start out in the middle of nowhere, not from a station, depot, or whatever.  That's how they are on the AK map so I figure the Help file is obsolete in saying they need a source.  There's nothing to assign a source in the editor these days anyway.

All the trains and the convoy move correctly both in the editor's animation mode and in the game when I try the map offline.

PROBLEMS

1.  The information displayed in the map room on the ground and the STRAT tab when in flight isn't complete and may not be accurate.  The problems are similar but worse on the STRAT tab.

In the map room, when you first enter, the list of fields on the clipboard is a complete blank.  All it shows in the bish strat situation (because you start as a bish) with everything at 100% (and the bish have no strat facilities, just an HQ).  If you click on the nit or Rook field, however, all 3 fields appear on the field list.  But when you click on the nit or Rook field, all the fields disappear from the list again.  However, the strat info for the chosen field/country shows up and everything's 100%.  Which it should be at this point because you haven't done anything.  Same story when you change countries--the field list is blank until you click on a field other than the one you're at.

OK, now you go flying.  The strat button on the clipboard has the same problem of nothing showing on the field list.  However, there's no way to bring up the other fields like in the map room.  So you're stuck looking at the strat info for the field you took off from.

Now suppose you're in a bish Lanc formation and go nuke about 1/3 of the whole nit reefer.  You end the flight as soon as the bombs hit and go back to the map room.  You click on the nit field and get the fields to show on the list.  Pick the nit field and all the strat shows 100% still, despite the devastation at the reefer.

Now you change sides to nits and you see the same strat info for the nits, everything 100%.

2.  Buildings don't repair when resupplied

Continuing the above story, you now fly a nit plane a couple miles over to the bombed reefer.  As you circle around surveying the devastation, you see a train coming.  It disappears next to the reefer but no buildings repair.  All damage is as before, but even so the strat button still says the reefer is 100%.

OK, so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 03:25:30 PM »
I haven't checked the Supplies with this TE.

1. The information displayed in the map room on the ground and the STRAT tab when in flight isn't complete and may not be accurate. The problems are similar but worse on the STRAT tab.

One thing I thought about the game was, that you don't get stat  information while in H2H or Offline!  It only works Online?
I could be wrong about this!

I'll need to think more about your other problem.

Later, I may need to look at your .tra, .fld and .oba files to help you.

Pokie

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 05:34:52 PM »
pokie said:
One thing I thought about the game was, that you don't get stat  information while in H2H or Offline!  It only works Online?

Hmm, looks like you're right.  I just bombed some stuff offline on maps I know work online and there was no change in the strat info.  And I bet the reason buildings don't respawn when trains arrive is related to this.

However, all the fields on these maps still show up on the list in the map room and on the strat tab of the in-flight clipboard.  They don't on my map.  Any ideas why not?

And BTW, why doesn't strat work offline?  How else can you test it to be sure you built the arena correctly?

Thanks for the help.

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2002, 06:29:15 PM »
However, all the fields on these maps still show up on the list in the map room and on the strat tab of the in-flight clipboard. They don't on my map.  Any ideas why not?

Do you mean all fields don't show up or only some?
Does anything show up on your map like HQ's or Factories etc...?
Do you have the 3 different Country HQ's using the first 3 Zones ( zone1, zone2 & zone3?

Maybe you should send me the .oba file to help with this problem.
tscott@accesswave.ca

Pokie

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2002, 08:34:49 PM »
Looks like I'm not doing a good job of expressing myself clearly, so I'll try that again.... :D

Everything looks fine on the "radar" map that you see on the clipboard while in flight or while in the tower.  All the icons for fields, ports, TGs, factories, and cities; the map room dots; the GV and boat spawn points; the zone connection lines, etc.; all show up like they're s'posed to.  Nothing to complain about there.

All the fields, ports, and TGs show up as chessmen of the approrpiate type on the table in the map room.  Strat facilities do not, but I don't think they do on any map.  So I think this is working fine also.

The place where I have a problem is the list of field names on the clipboard.  You know, the scrollable list that appears as a vertical column in the upper left corner of the clipboard when you're in the map room on the ground or when you hit the STRAT button in flight.  The rest of this clipboard page has the strat info pertaining to the field you select off this vertical name list.

My problem here is 2-fold:
  • MAPROOM:  Nothing at all shows up in the vertical area that's supposed to list all the field names.  The strat info for the bish field #1 shows up in the rest of the page, but this scrollable list area is completely empty.  If you click on a chessman on the map table for a field other than the one you're at, you'll see all the fields on the map suddenly appear on the list.  You can then click on any field name on the list and the strat info on the rest of the clipboard displays per the selected field.  However, as soon as you click on the field name on the list, the list goes blank again.
  • STRAT button:  No matter what country you're in, the strat info shown is always for bish field #1.  The list that's supposed to have all the field names is a complete blank, as in the maproom.  However, there is no way at all to select another field because there are no chessmen on the map table to click on while you're flying.
Maybe you should send me the .oba file to help with this problem.
tscott@accesswave.ca

On the way.  Thanks for taking the time for this.

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2002, 10:41:06 PM »
Originally posted by Bullethead
Looks like I'm not doing a good job of expressing myself clearly, so I'll try that again.... :D

Everything looks fine on the "radar" map that you see on the clipboard while in flight or while in the tower.  All the icons for fields, ports, TGs, factories, and cities; the map room dots; the GV and boat spawn points; the zone connection lines, etc.; all show up like they're s'posed to.  Nothing to complain about there.

All the fields, ports, and TGs show up as chessmen of the approrpiate type on the table in the map room.  Strat facilities do not, but I don't think they do on any map.  So I think this is working fine also.

The place where I have a problem is the list of field names on the clipboard.  You know, the scrollable list that appears as a vertical column in the upper left corner of the clipboard when you're in the map room on the ground or when you hit the STRAT button in flight.  The rest of this clipboard page has the strat info pertaining to the field you select off this vertical name list.

My problem here is 2-fold:
  • MAPROOM:  Nothing at all shows up in the vertical area that's supposed to list all the field names.  The strat info for the bish field #1 shows up in the rest of the page, but this scrollable list area is completely empty.  If you click on a chessman on the map table for a field other than the one you're at, you'll see all the fields on the map suddenly appear on the list.  You can then click on any field name on the list and the strat info on the rest of the clipboard displays per the selected field.  However, as soon as you click on the field name on the list, the list goes blank again.
  • STRAT button:  No matter what country you're in, the strat info shown is always for bish field #1.  The list that's supposed to have all the field names is a complete blank, as in the maproom.  However, there is no way at all to select another field because there are no chessmen on the map table to click on while you're flying.
On the way.  Thanks for taking the time for this. [/B]

I understand what you mean Bullethead.
It's late here, going to bed, but I'll look at it tomorrow.

P.S  As from the first Post

2. Buildings don't repair when resupplied

I can't believe I didn't ask you how long you waited to see repairs!

http://www.hitechcreations.com/ahhelp/map.html#targets

All Factory stuff is down for 3 Hours ( 180 minutes ).
Offline, I'm using all the default arena settings.

Default setting for Downtime multiplier is 1 which means 3hours X 1 = 3Hours.

You would have had to wait for about 1 Hour ( 6 train trips ) for repairs to be seen.
To test quicker, Set the Downtime Multiphier for .085
180minutes X .085 = 15.3 Minutes ( 15 minutes 18second )
1 Train trip :)

Note! Set Downtime Multiplier first before you destroy anything.

Pokie
« Last Edit: December 30, 2002, 10:43:47 PM by pokie »

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2002, 01:24:39 PM »
pokie said:
I'll look at it tomorrow.

Much appreciated :)

I can't believe I didn't ask you how long you waited to see repairs!

Not long, just unit a train arrived at the damaged factory--maybe 5 minutes.  It's only a 2-mile trip and the train was already en route when I started watching.  Anyway, no buildings repaired when the train disappeared at the end of its run.

Thanks for the tip on downtime multiplier.

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2002, 06:55:21 PM »
My problem here is 2-fold: MAPROOM: Nothing at all shows up in the vertical area that's supposed to list all the field names. The strat info for the bish field #1 shows up in the rest of the page, but this scrollable list area is completely empty. If you click on a chessman on the map table for a field other than the one you're at, you'll see all the fields on the map suddenly appear on the list. You can then click on any field name on the list and the strat info on the rest of the clipboard displays per the selected field. However, as soon as you click on the field name on the list, the list goes blank again.

STRAT button: No matter what country you're in, the strat info shown is always for bish field #1. The list that's supposed to have all the field names is a complete blank, as in the maproom. However, there is no way at all to select another field because there are no chessmen on the map table to click on while you're flying.

I'm still  drawing a blank on this.

I know I'm over looking something.

Pokie

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2003, 08:33:26 PM »
Bullethead

Since the Strat doesn't work in H2H or Offline I don't think it a big deal.  Unless someone else has an answer?

It just may be the way that HTC compiles it, because when ever you summit a terrain, they need all the files from the TE.

Pokie

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2003, 10:50:44 PM »
Hmmmm.

OK, so having looked at my map, do you think I did everything correctly?

Thanks for the help.