Author Topic: I feel ripped off!  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
I feel ripped off!
« on: December 30, 2002, 05:28:43 AM »
I just watched Pearl Harbor again so I could see that fantastic headon in the BOB scenario. But I stopped the DVD at the point that the Spits were being armed and went to get a beer. When I came back I stopped and noticed that all of the Spitfires were the same plane! Yeah, they were very clever in positioning the shots so you couldn't tell at first glance, but you can tell.

Damn I feel cheated!

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
I feel ripped off!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 05:30:34 AM »
Christ, you were watching Pearl Harbor...what did you expect?!  They should have flushed that turd instead of smearing it on the big screen.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
I feel ripped off!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 07:37:53 AM »
And the fuze to the powderkeg was lit.

AKDejaVu

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
I feel ripped off!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2002, 08:02:39 AM »
Spit 5 instead of spit 1 do not make you feel cheated? :)

Fariz

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
I feel ripped off!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2002, 08:12:40 AM »
Hell, watch the opening scenes.

Mitchel field is not spelled MITCHELL FIELD.

And there are NO MOUNTAINS ON LONG ISLAND!!!!!!

Geez, Do some research before you call Ben AFLAC!

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
I feel ripped off!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2002, 08:28:01 AM »
...and Alec Baldwin playing a "man's man" like Jimmy Doolittle really got me... I couldn't decide if Baldwin wanted to hug Afflek or send him into battle...

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
I feel ripped off!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2002, 08:30:46 AM »
I think there was a slight vibration and a high pitched whirring sound from Jimmy's gravesite when they announced Baldwin was playing him in a movie.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
I feel ripped off!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2002, 08:34:21 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
I think there was a slight vibration and a high pitched whirring sound from Jimmy's gravesite when they announced Baldwin was playing him in a movie.

Yea...isnt Baldwin some sort of political extreamist? I remember something about that.

FatBat
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
I feel ripped off!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2002, 09:52:33 AM »
Am I the only one who saw this thread title and poster ID, and thought "Now THERE's a candidate for 'Ironic Post of the Year'"? :)

culero (yes, already knows he's going to hell)
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
I feel ripped off!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2002, 10:01:02 AM »
an anti-American playing an American war hero. wtg Bruckheimer

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
I feel ripped off!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2002, 10:07:52 AM »
I'm thinking about getting Pearl Harbor to add to my B-movie library -- if only I could avoid giving the produces and studio any more revenues. Perhaps I'll try to find it used.

The only unfortunate part about Pearl Harbor as a B-movie is that the average B-movie aficionado will miss many of the military absurdities that stand out to a fan of military history. The entire BoB diversion, for example, from the involvement of official US military personnel to the 30mm .303s. Or the, "drag him to the tower so we can shoot him with shotguns" scene from the attack, or the rest of attack itself (lets move the battleships apart on Battleship Row so we can have a "canyon run" scene like in Star Wars Episode 1). Or the entire Doolittle Raid escapade. Or the way the director decided to fuse bombs to heighten suspense - DON'T LET THE WHIRLEY THING STOP, ITS GOING TO BLOW!!!!

The average b-movie watcher has plenty to bust on though, as Rottentomatoes.com attests. The cinematography reeks of a poorly executed Ralph Lauren Chaps commercial. There is the comical and entirely formula-driven love story (BTW, how did Rafe know almost immediately that Danny slept with his Hoochie after his return from the dead?).

Pearl Harbor is the type of film Ed Wood would have made, had he only managed to scrounge the budget. In fact, I believe it could only be improved with TOR playing Danny and Bela Lugosi playing Rafe.

Below: Danny (Tor "Super Swedish Angel" Johnson) and Evelyn (Vampira) lament over Rafe's fall in the Battle of Britain.

Charon
« Last Edit: December 30, 2002, 12:06:03 PM by Charon »

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
I feel ripped off!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2002, 10:12:55 AM »
this is kinda like MST3K

Offline TheCollector

• Zinc Member
I feel ripped off!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2002, 11:49:17 AM »
I enjoyed it, I own the dvd, what can I say?  Any chance to see  P40s, he-111s, etc. is NEAT!

Yah there were problems, the first hour (BOB notwithstanding) was boring, etc., etc.  It's an easy target, who cares?  

The Collector

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
I feel ripped off!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2002, 12:03:03 PM »
Oedipus ya beat me to it!! :D
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
I feel ripped off!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2002, 12:14:07 PM »
Originally posted by batdog
Yea...isnt Baldwin some sort of political extreamist? I remember something about that.

FatBat

Yes, he threatened (along with other activist actors/actresses) to move to Canada if Bush beat Gore in the Presidential election.

Note to Mr. Baldwin:  I'm still waiting.

[Edit:  Did you know that Canada already has more celebrities per capita then anywhere else?]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2002, 12:17:14 PM by Drunky »
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High