Author Topic: Your Advice Please -Buying a Joystick  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Your Advice Please -Buying a Joystick
« on: December 05, 2000, 11:56:00 PM »
Who is this `Tac`  that keeps posting crap in this forum you ask.

Wait a minute.. wasnt he the P-38 geek a few months before? Oh yeah, the one that made that whatchamacallit squadron that never amounted to anything but a website full of WW2 songs and a few AH films?

(Heehee gawd im BORED.. even if Im in Japan!)

Now seriously, (and now that you know who I am.. and hate me or something) I would like to ask ye fine folks for some advice about buying a joystick set.

Im currently looking into the The Top Gun™ AfterBurnerForce™ Feedback Joystick http://us.thrustmaster.com/products/lookproduct.php3?prodid=71

What do you think about it? Force Feedback AND Thrust controller all in one for less than 100 bucks... but since im an ignorant in jsticks I would like yer opinions.

I would like to have a j-stick that has the grip and buttons of the OLD TM FCS+TCS (OLD as in the 1991 TM sticks) but with Force Feedback.. I really hate jstick handles that feel like bananas with buttons protruding out of it (like that Saitek monstrousity).

Feedback and suggestions greatly appreciated.

-Tac-

Offline tshred

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2000, 02:30:00 AM »
Yeeeeeuuuuuuk. That thing is ugly! Personally, I'd wait for Thrustmasters line of sticks with interchangeable handles to come out before I'd buy that one! As far as Force Feedback in flight sims, I used to like it in DoA, but now I've gotten used to not having it and don't think it is worth it any more for flight sims. It helped me overcome my tendency to 'overcontrol' but now I wouldn't use it most likely if HTC ever added support.

I've only ever had CH, and am patiently awaiting the release of the USB Fighterstick and Pro Throttle, but if TM releases their sticks with the interchangle handles, which look real high quality, and they release them before CH's hit the market I'll probably give them a try. I agree with you, most other sticks look like crap to me. I wish somebody would release one that looked something like a WWII era stick with a couple of extra buttons and hats of course  .

Well, there's my opinion  . I only play WWII online flight sims and have no need for stuff like force feedback anymore. But if you play other games that use it, that stick looks pretty good considering it has 60 programable functions, but I'm not sure if it has enough buttons for my taste. I'm curious what kind of button combinations you need to get 60 functions out of it. I'll probably stick with CH tho cause I got my Duel Throttle setup and like it and can convert the new USB Pro Throttle over by just adding it's guts to my current setup from the looks of the pics I've seen.

Btw Tac, still a few P38's that haven't been shot up left in the hangar waiting for ya........

ts

Ice

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2000, 08:21:00 AM »
CH babe!

Supper smooth...best quality components on the market(last a long time) and great flexiblity.

Thunder used the TM stuff and recently switched to CH...he's a more effective killer because of it. You might ask him what he thinks.

Ice

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2000, 08:25:00 AM »
 If I had to buy all new gear it would be the CH USB stuff.  Although the pro-throttle isn't out yet. And not sure about the F16 Fighterstick. But an 8-way hat is a must. Force-feedback <shrug> we don't have it to use here...yet...someday?

-Westy

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2000, 08:29:00 AM »
 Ugly...maby depends on your taste  . Anyone have one of these? USB, throttle with rudder, 60 programable functions, 8 way hat....my first impression is wow, but whats the catch? Price, is it a pos? I would like some more opinions on this puppy

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2000, 09:44:00 AM »
btw CH did have an extenstion kit for the CH Jetstick at one time (a two button, bare bones stick) that allowed for a 2 1/2 foot handle (sligtly adjustable) that mounted to the floor. That was about the closest there ever was to a WWII stick. Loved the feel of that cheap thing, sadly the need for buttons kinda ruled it out  

I'm not real sure that was CH's kit though, can't remember where in the heck I got it from.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2000, 10:23:00 AM »
hey Tac!
how's Japan????

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2000, 05:33:00 PM »
I owned Thrustmaster top line equipment for years. When problems developed their support department not only failed to ever reply to my, but could not even help me order replacement parts while I was quite willing to pay for the parts. Without going into a long discussion of how poor their support department was, just leave it that I would never ever purchase Thrustmaster equipement again.

CH is the way to go, but they just don't have their good USB stuff out yet. I chose the Saitek as the only USB equipment offering both bot a throttle and stick with adequate hats and buttons. You have indicated a dislike for the layout of that stick. As a result you either have to accept the Saitek to get you through until CH comes out with their good stick, or you have to accept the CH stuff on the market now.

Don't make the mistake of buying old analog stuff. USB is the only way to go.

By the way, I like my Saitek so much now that I don't plan on switching to a CH stick until my Saitek wears out. It's worked great for 6 months and is rock solid.

I do have the CH USB Pro Pedals and love them.

As far as force feedback goes we don't have it here and I'm not sure who makes a GOOD USB Force Feedback stick.

Good luck

Ranger Bob

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2000, 06:05:00 PM »
Well lets see... i had an old thrustmaster( didn't hold up to my learning curve tantrums)  
I had saitek ( looked great,worked poorly) then Ch,, i like the CH stuff  last long  but the pods get dirty and need cleaning..

I heard Martha Stewart Tuesday night show is how to make a USB Joystick from toothpaste , poporri,orange peels, and discarded toilet tissue rolls

NUTTZ

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2000, 06:26:00 PM »
After my Sidewinder Precision Pro recently expired I scoured CompUSA and chose the Logitech Wingman Force 3D joystick.  It has the hat, 7 buttons, comfortable hand rest, nice throttle, and twist rudder.  Also more solid feel and lower price than the Sidewinder.  

I enjoy force feedback in WarBirds and look forward to having it in the next Aces High.

Note: CompUSA doesn't handle CH so I couldn't compare that. I enjoyed the CH stick and rudder pedals I had before the Precision Pro, and from CH popularity with many people, you probably want to compare CH before buying anything.  

The only thing I don't like about the Wingman Force 3D is two buttons on the left tpp of the stick instead of the Sidewinder's one.  To me, the two buttons make it much more awkward to have one of these as secondary armament button instead of the one longer button on the Sidewinder.  

It was also nice to have the additional ninth button on the Sidewinder base although WarBirds never adequately supported more than six buttons in its setup since buttons 7 and 8 were out of sequence and never would function properly. Fortunately all joystick buttons including the Sidewinder ninth button work great in Aces High.

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2000, 02:53:00 AM »
Having loads of fun Animal! Gonna go Karaoke tonight with the ladies... check out the pics of my trip (gawd I LOVE my digital camera) at http://www.crosswinds.net/~wraithfleethq/tacbed.html

I still have like 100 pictures left to post up.. Mt. Fuji was awesome!

Theres still some twin engine kittens purring for me in the hangar? THANK YOU!!! =) I thought Citabria had nuetered the alpha couple to keep the 38 to himself! hehhehehe.

I agree, USB is the only way. I may give the Top Gun stick a try when I get home, I dont have to worry about product support, the guys at Best Buy already hate my squeaking self when they sell me something that dont work. Then the refund of course..but always squeak about it! *grin*.

I forgot there was no force feedback in AH.. unless it was added in these last 4 months! Please tell me it has FF support... I wanna feel my 38s guns rattle my wrist (or Torque`s CHOGcannons ripping my wrist from my hand..whichever comes first).

Thanks for your advice folks, much appreciated.

BTW, what is that CH thing people talk about? links?

Beurling

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2000, 10:25:00 AM »
Want the best set up out right now?

The saitek usb x36 stick and throttle are it.

No spikes,easy setup,too many functions.

The look and feel are streets ahead of ch stuff. Although i still use a pro pedal, throttle set up. I like my views on the throtle.

I bought mine for 80 usd. There on for $60 at best buy right now.

There is a rebate offer on now too so i get $20 back soon

EYE

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2000, 12:21:00 PM »
lol Tac Derek Smart is a tard
he is in every message board soon he will be here too.
you mention his name three times and he appearsoh and when you come back bring here some hot asian chicks

ive never done one; few of them here in PR

[This message has been edited by Animal (edited 12-09-2000).]

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2000, 04:52:00 PM »
If you have patience in setting up then Saitek is the way to go I use my keyboard for typing only all functions are on stick and throttle...

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2000, 07:37:00 PM »
CH sticks sound interesting.  USB support is not important for me... in fact I play in Win2k so I pretty much need analog controllers.  Anyone got a URL for CH?  Could they be used with Simped Vario (analog) pedals?