Author Topic: Lord of the Rings: Two Towers  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Lord of the Rings: Two Towers
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2002, 03:53:40 PM »
Originally posted by Hortlund
Here is your troll, Sir.

"The wind whistled and the snow became a blinding blizzard.
Soon even Boromir found it hard to keep going. "

"Aragorn was the tallest of the Company, but Boromir, little less in height, was broader and heavier in build. He lead the way, and Aragorn followed him. Slowly they moved off, and were soon toiling heavily. In places the snow was breast-high, and often Boromir seemed to be swimming or burrowing with his great arms rather than walking. "

""Have hope! I am weary, but I still have some strength left, and Aragorn too. We will bear the little folk. The others no doubt will make shift to tread the path behind us. Come, Master Peregrin! I will begin with you. Cling to my back! I shall need my arms," he said and strode forward. Pippin marvelled at his strength, seeing the passage that he had already forced with no other tool than his great limbs. Even now burdened as he was, he was widening the track for those who followed, thrusting the snow aside as he went. After a while Boromir returned carrying Sam as well. "

That's right...   :D

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2002, 04:03:05 PM »
"Aragorn was the tallest of the Company,

SEE!

That Vigo wimp is too small!!!

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2002, 04:26:32 PM »
Smeagol is actually Golumn.  It sounds like he's from some "river folk" not much unlike Hobbits.  This is interesting to me and so I am more curious about his background.  I guess he was "normal" at one time and was somewhat similar to a Hobbit.  The first movie shows a "regular" hand picking the ring up from out of a river bed too, but later shows a glimpse of Golumn pretty much as we know him to look.  I was curious if there are any more tidbits about his past.

I think the movie did a great job to get you to be a little sympathetic to Golumn (Smeagol.)  I think he's one of the most easily remembered character from the tales.

=============
I belive that Smeagol was the little man in the 1st part of the movie, where Frodo would go visit him, in his little shack.

Gondolf made a trip to Smeagels house where Gondolf found about the ring, Smeagol wasnt willing to give it, but he knew he had too. Then Smeagol went somewhere after giving the ring up, but im not sure.

So thats my best guess who Smeagol was.

-WldThing
=============

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2002, 04:38:08 PM »
Having not read the book, the changes to Faramir didn't bother me  :)

The impression I got from that character in the film is he seemed to be a combination of war-weary soldier and leftover sibling rivalry.   He wanted to help his people AND prove his own worth, and didn't much care who he stepped on in the process.

I also didn't take the "they killed Faramir thing" the same as some have.  I took it as his man trying to convince him to NOT let the Halflings go (don't let them go, you know the laws they'll put you to death blah blah), while Faramir IMO sarcastically says "then my life is forefit" while knowing that he is perfectly safe from such punishment.

J_A_B

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2002, 04:42:32 PM »
"All Numenorians are half breeds.

Aragorn gets his elvish blood from Beren and Luthian (elf).

To paraphrase the Silmarillion. Beren and Luthian had two sons. They were given the choice between a mortal life or a immortal (elven) life. One son name was Elrond chose an immortal (elven) life. Elrond's brother chose the mortal life and started the race of Numenor.

"
You should read it again...lol

Elrond is not the son of Beren, But his grand son. His mother was an elf and His father was the son of Beren and Luthian. Luthian was half Elf half demi god.

So calling elrond half elven is not really correct. But close enough.

Calling Aragon half elven is silly. Even part elven.  The first king of Numinor(elros ?) was part elven like Elrond his brother..But were all Numenorians decended of him..like Adam..No. He was just thier king. A king of many thousands of original inhabitants. If any of them were part elven..we are not told so by Tolkien.
Aragorn. Being a decendent of the kings of Numinor..may have a little elf blood in him from 3000 years and 100s of generations before  But to attribute this to all the Dunadain shows you never read the Silmirillion very well.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2002, 05:18:33 PM »
Hello, I am a friend of Thrawn's...

Thrawn has been getting a fair amount of his LOTR trivia from me, while I was at work, so I apologize for any inaccuracies of specific details.  I do believe that while it was more than 3000 years since the creation of Numenor (and fall, and the move of Isildur and his father back to the old world) to present "Fellowship of the Ring" days, I do know that the line of Numenorian kings were VERY long lived.  They kept the blood line pure...

The first king reigned for about 800 years??  Even Aragorn, who was pretty far down the line, reigned for three hundred years after the "Return of the King".  This demonstrates that although there has been many, many years since the start of the half breed line, since they were so long lived, there aren't as many generations between them as you may think.

To me, that would demonstrate more than a tiny smattering of elvish blood...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2002, 05:22:49 PM by Thrawn »

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2002, 05:48:23 PM »
Ok, ok, ok... since some of you crazy people actually SPEAK Elvish... perhaps there are a few things you can help me to understand (reading the books now - going to see movie tonight (I think)).  I apologize for any misspellings.

1.)  Those "things" in FoTR that came out of the ground from those "sacks" at Sarumon's place - they are what - half orc and something else?  Why are they able to walk around in the daytime?  I thought those orcish chaps could only be out at night?

2.)  The Elves are leaving... and going where?

3.)  Just from reading the thread - Gandalf and Sarumon are "Jesus" type chaps?  Sent down from "above?"

4.)  The different races of ugly animals (orcs).  (See question 1).  If I remember correctly, the books state something regarding different races of orcs - or clans - or something like that - is there any background to this?

5.)  Vader would kick the toejam out of Sauron.  "I find you lack of faith disturbing..."  :D

Danka

Edit: Oh, and whoever offered to post that link with "useful information" please do so.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2002, 07:41:16 PM »
Well friend of Thawns..

Tolkien makes this way more clear then you apperently see.
The men of Numenor were "granted" long life by the "gods". Its not a genetic thing they got from the one of them that happened to be a part elf.  The direct decendents of Elros are not longer lived then the other Numenoreons. Its not an elf thing.  Simularly Aragorn is "granted" a life span much greater, more akin to the life span of the original numenoreans...probably by the same source that 'granted' it to them.

I will let you figure out what happens to 1/2 elf when you divide it in half another 24 times by the time of the fall of numenor and probably 60 times again before the 4th age.
1 in billions..?

Here is thrawns statement
"
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Pongo
The High men are sullied and weakend by breeding with the lesser men, Thats one of Aragorns big claim to fames..he is one of the only Racialy pure dunadain..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean Aragorn the Half-Breed?

Dude, he's part elf."

Tolkein makes a very distinctive and deliberate point that Aragorn is special because in his veins the pure blood of numenor runs. Where others have bred with the locals...his ancestors did not.
Breeding with the lesser men weakens the race...
Sounds like something that Adolf was saying at about the time that LOTR was written.
That was my point..and it is beyond Thrawn. Because he thinks Aragorn is a half breed.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2002, 08:02:47 PM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
Ok, ok, ok... since some of you crazy people actually SPEAK Elvish... perhaps there are a few things you can help me to understand (reading the books now - going to see movie tonight (I think)).  I apologize for any misspellings.

1.)  Those "things" in FoTR that came out of the ground from those "sacks" at Sarumon's place - they are what - half orc and something else?  Why are they able to walk around in the daytime?  I thought those orcish chaps could only be out at night?

Half Orcs that Saruman was breeding.

2.)  The Elves are leaving... and going where?

To Amen in the far distant west.  Long story where the valar live.

3.)  Just from reading the thread - Gandalf and Sarumon are "Jesus" type chaps?  Sent down from "above?"

No. They are emisaries of the Valar. The 'gods' of middle earth.
They are maya(sp?) an imortal life form less then the vanya. and greater then the eldar(Elves) the Balrog, Tom bombadil and Sauron are of the same 'race'

4.)  The different races of ugly animals (orcs).  (See question 1).  If I remember correctly, the books state something regarding different races of orcs - or clans - or something like that - is there any background to this?

Generally Orcs were made by Morgoth, improved by Sauron in the Uruk and then again by Sauruman in the Uruk-Hai. Which have been cross bred with men I believe.  But there are many tribes of orcs and Uruks usually lead them.

5.)  Vader would kick the toejam out of Sauron.  "I find you lack of faith disturbing..."  :D

Danka

Edit: Oh, and whoever offered to post that link with "useful information" please do so.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2002, 12:46:08 AM »
Ya know, I was going to thank for your information and that I would pass it on.  Then I got to this...

Originally posted by Pongo
That was my point..and it is beyond Thrawn. Because he thinks Aragorn is a half breed.

...so instead I simply say, diddly you.  You must be pretty damn inadequet to always have to belittle people.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2002, 01:13:39 AM »
?
"And I explaind in the LOTR racism thread how Aragorn was part elf. "
You seemed so clued out in the other thread I was just going to drop it..its just fiction after all.
I was going to let your ignorance go in the other one as you seemed to know so little about the subject as to not be worth discussing it with you. Hard to believe you have even read the books.
But you wanted to drag it out here as a victory.
thank yourself if you dont like looking like an idiot.
You should be getting pretty used to it from what I have seen on these boards. Your friend at least has read the books although the finer points of them seemed to have escaped him.
If you like I could quote JRR himself to make you look stupid... But whats the use. You dont read tolkien and your friend doesnt understand it when he does read it.
You must feel pretty inadaquate to make up stuff to seem smart.
Forgive me if I prefer the (fictional) facts.

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2002, 01:35:43 AM »
My Lightsaber is longer than yours.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2002, 09:01:04 PM »
Pretty sad when even a LOTR thread turns into a flame-war!

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2002, 11:24:59 PM »
i'm kinda surprised more people aren't drawing parallels between lotr and richard wagner's 'ring cycle'. i keep seeing alberich in gollum and a lot of other similarities. not a lot of opera fans around i reckon.  :)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2003, 06:07:00 PM »
Just got back from it.  I had never read any of the books, so it was all new to me starting with the first movie.

After 3 hours of just amazing special effects and another great story, there was a dead silence at the end as the credits rolled. I was really impressed and any more it would have been too long. It was alot to absorb, and really, really cool.

Then the guy behind me goes, "Man they left so much out..."

wow