Author Topic: Is this freedom?  (Read 3015 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Is this freedom?
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2003, 12:19:49 PM »
Laz, I am sending you my medical bills for one busted gut.
hehe - ra is gutless, in case you didn't know. ;)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Is this freedom?
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2003, 12:38:25 PM »
Heard on the radio this morning that Norway is going smokeless for the entire country... in restaurants and public places anyhow...  not just restrictions of the local nanny governments of the US.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
Re: Is this freedom?
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2003, 03:47:40 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
freedom

I have read all about how free you are in the US to buy guns and to shoot them.

Seems like New York is taking a big bite out of the freedom of people to smoke...even in bars.

I thought the US was the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Your not scared of guns....just cigarettes?

(whizzzzzzzzzzz...plonk...the lure is set)

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
Re: Is this freedom?
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2003, 03:51:38 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
freedom

I have read all about how free you are in the US to buy guns and to shoot them.

Seems like New York is taking a big bite out of the freedom of people to smoke...even in bars.

I thought the US was the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Your not scared of guns....just cigarettes?

(whizzzzzzzzzzz...plonk...the lure is set)

This one is simple. You freedom ends at the begining of my nose.
Its about respect for others.
 You cant just go and shoot weapons off wherever the hell you want to either. Freedom is a priviledge that carry's some responsibility with it also.

(sorry for the double post)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Is this freedom?
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2003, 04:45:16 PM »
Cigarettes kill more people than guns, even in the USA. And just to pre-empt Mr. Toad, cigarettes kill more people than sharp objects in the UK. To further pre-empt Mr. Toad, isn't it worth passing the new NYC smoking ban if even only ONE life can be saved? :p

One thing's for sure. No government will ban tobacco sales. There are two reasons for that:
  • They need the revenue from taxes levied on tobacco.
  • By allowing people to smoke and thereby die much sooner, the state pensions crisis will be less severe.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Is this freedom?
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2003, 05:08:49 PM »
Well, Beet, if folks want to commit voluntary inhalation suicide knowing the dangers going in... isn't that their biz?

Now, otoh, if they were stabbing and slicing other folks with their Marlboros.......
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Is this freedom?
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2003, 05:18:08 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Cigarettes kill more people than guns, even in the USA.  

Cigarettes don't kill people, people kill people....

No really, ya gatta set 'em on fire and inhale....  

Anybody stupid enough to suck 'em down,.....
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline ET

• Copper Member
Is this freedom?
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2003, 05:44:29 PM »
It is nice that our guardians in the government look out for us so much. I really appreciate it since if I walked into a restaurant or bar with smoke, I would be too stupid to walk out if I did not want to inhale it. Why isn't it just banned outright like alcohol was at one time. Could it be because of the amount of tax revenue it brings in ? Especially in places like NYC.
Smokers cost money for healthcare but do not live that long after their productive years. So I would think that they do not live long enough for the heart operations, hip replacements,knee replacements and other costly procedures the older senior citizens have to have and probably never get put in nursing homes for extended care which is expensive. They also get off the Social Security roles earlier by dying sooner. All the studies I have seen say what smokers cost in healthcare but do not say what they would have cost if they live an extra twenty years by not smoking.
The anti-smoking governments use it as a reason for raising taxes and bringing in more revenue. The wrong reason for an anti-smoking campaign. Smoking kills people. That should be reason enough to fight it. And after all the smokers are gone, who is next. The drinkers ? The overweight people ? Junk food lovers ?

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Is this freedom?
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2003, 05:54:17 PM »
And after all the smokers are gone, who is next. The drinkers ?

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Is this freedom?
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2003, 06:00:45 PM »
Originally posted by ET
And after all the smokers are gone, who is next. The drinkers ? The overweight people ? Junk food lovers ?

C'mon, you all have heard about the guy sueing McDonalds,Burger King and KFC because he's fat...  it's started already.

And don't worry Ra they tried to do the drinkers back in the 1920's... had some trouble with it tho...

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Is this freedom?
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2003, 08:01:38 PM »
You'd have some sort of point if when a drunk was drinking, you as a bystander got a tiny bit of the booze forced down your throat.

You'd have a point if the guy gobbling six Super Size Big Mac meals next to you foced some of the fries into your stomach.

If the guy stuffing in a dozen twinkies resulted in you having to swallow one.

I don't care who smokes or how many they smoke. I just prefer not to smoke any of their ABU (already been used) cigarette myself.

I'll cheerfully agree to their right to smoke... it they'll agree to my right NOT to smoke.

If you think about it, this is an issue of common courtesy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Is this freedom?
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2003, 08:11:03 PM »
So you are in favor of legislation mandating common courtesy?:rolleyes:

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Is this freedom?
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2003, 08:14:40 PM »
Nope. But I am in favor of common courtesy.

I AM in favor of a choice between a smoking and non-smoking section in confined or enclosed areas.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
Is this freedom?
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2003, 09:03:49 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Nope. But I am in favor of common courtesy.

I AM in favor of a choice between a smoking and non-smoking section in confined or enclosed areas.

I am opposed to allowing workers to be unnecessarily exposed to health risks, however how slight that risk might be. Smoking sections in restaurants still require waitpersons and busboys, and the purpose of all anti smoking laws to date has been to protect workers. I also believe in guards on saws, handrails on stairways and the requirement of hard hats on construction sites. OSHA is one of the few Government organizations that actually give a rat's bellybutton about the safety of citizens.

You're right on about common courtesy Toad. Perhaps if smokers were more polite us non smokers wouldn't have to pass laws sending them outdoors. :D

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
Is this freedom?
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2003, 01:46:06 AM »
Reminds me of the old commercial from the 70's.

A person walks into a restaurant with everbody smoking, puts on a gas mask, and then pulls a skunk outta her bag :)

Clears the restaurant right out.  :D

I'm a non smoker and I find nothing more disgusting than sitting down to a meal and then having someone at the table next to you lighting up because they are done theirs.
 Yes they have rights, but unfortunately in society today, common courtesy is seldom exercised.
 If I go into freinds homes where they smoke I dont even say a word if they light up..its their house. If I go into a public place, especially if I'm paying for a service, I expect that I am entitled to a decent time without bothering with OTHER peoples disgusting habits...Just as I promise not to exercise my disgusting habit of violent flatulism around you.
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead