Author Topic: Skins  (Read 831 times)

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Skins
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2003, 12:20:27 PM »
ramzey said:
noo they dont, i hope u dont wonna have cheaters on server with glass cockpits and invisible airplanes?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that dinking with skins only affects what you see on your own computer.  Thus, it would be impossible to make your own plane invisible to others by dinking with your own skins.  All that would do is make everybody else invisible to you ;).

Glass cockpits, however, are the reverse of this.  That's making your own plane invisible to yourself.  This could in theory be possible by dinking with your own skins, because it would only appear on your own box.  But I wager that HT, who's known of this possibility for many years, (folks tried it way back in DOS AW, after all) has certainly incorporated prophylactic measures into AH.

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
Skins
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2003, 12:27:33 PM »
about invisible planes u right,

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Skins
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2003, 12:41:24 PM »
Originally posted by ramzey
noo they dont, i hope u dont wonna have cheaters on server with glass cockpits and invisible airplanes?

Until all terrains-skins are under HTC control thats can't be happend.

ramzey

Read my post again, slowly and carefuly, then i'll explain if your still confused

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
Skins
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2003, 01:32:58 PM »
Ben,

if u have custom skins in root directory u can allways use xxxx_a.bmp, right? Walking this way u can create transparent plane wide glass cockpit. Here i see danger
To create custom skin for everyone HTC need to rework whole AH system, i think.
Imho better way is create smth like personal.bmp with mapping, working like nose art or personal painting. Placed on the nose.
Just like squad bitmaps on airplane
Like in B26. Imho thats will be enough.
Imho system like in il2 will not work in so big online game like AH.

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
Skins
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2003, 01:53:08 PM »
BenDover said:
Make it like sounds, so you put the textures for that plane only in a folder in the texsrc, and ones for all of em in the root texsrc dir

I assume you're trying to tell me how to apply custom skins to the game as a whole instead of having them only function on terrains they are built into, right?

If so, please clarify this a bit.  I know next to nothing about anything related modding AH so you need to walk me through this ;)

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Skins
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2003, 01:53:49 PM »
no read it again.....

Here's a clue, seen as you don't have one

HTC\aheditor\terrains\yourterrain\texsrc\190a5

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
Skins
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2003, 02:37:45 PM »
ramzey said:
if you have custom skins in root directory u can allways use xxxx_a.bmp, right? Walking this way u can create transparent plane wide glass cockpit.

Has anybody tried making an xxx_a.bmp file for the cockpit interior and airplane exteriors?  I'm sure somebody has :D, because these ideas are a dozen or more years old.  I haven't tried it in AH, but I'd assume that AH is programmed to only look for xxx_a.bmp files in conjunction with specific textures, or conversely is told NOT to look for an alpha map for a few specific textures.  So even if you made an alpha mask for the side wall of the cockpit, etc., the game program would disregard it.  Seems simple enough.

An alternative cheating method would be to not use an alpha mask but just paint the textures you want to remove in a color that's transparent in-game, like the pink on gun sights.  Assuming there is such a thing that would work on other parts of the plane.  But again there's a simple way to prevent that--the game checks for the transparent color and doesn't let you put it on textures that ain't supposed to have it.

If something along these lines isn't in place, then yes it appears there's scope for abuse, mainly because airplane textures are only visible on 1 side of their poly.  For instance, to see into your low-6 area, you'd just have to make the headrest, seat, radios, etc., invisible.  Then you'd look down the inside of the rear fuselage, but because this is only visible from the outside, you'd have a clear view.  And you'd still see the textures on the rear fuselage of nme planes because you've done nothing to them.  The same would probably be true for looking down through the cockpit floor.

It would be more problematic to "glass" other directions, however.  The only way to look down to the sides through the wings would be to remove the upper wing texture and look through the back of the lower wing texture.  But this would make the upper wing surfaces of all nme planes of the same type invisible to you.  That would seem to be more a hindrance than a help.  Likewise, being able to look further down below your boresight dot would required blanking out the instrument panel, and you do need some of those things ;).

But I'm certain HT has already thought of all this, and much more besides, and has something in place to prevent abuse.  I mean, he was a legendary hacker and sneaky bastid himself back in ancient AW days.  So it's setting a thief to catch a thief in AH ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2003, 02:44:33 PM by Bullethead »

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
Skins
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2003, 04:16:06 PM »
now i catch, ty for patience

and TY for clarify me som other things

ramzey