Author Topic: Friends of I.G. Farben  (Read 1387 times)

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
Friends of I.G. Farben
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2003, 12:09:57 AM »
i dont think the use of literary mechanisms hyperbole, irony or farce by a columnist in an unrealted article should discredit facts presented by the same columnist in a different article (maybe it should if the columnist prints something you dont like).

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Ok, so your an American
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2003, 12:36:49 AM »
I have my doubts about that....but none about your ignorance.

Shuckins, obviously your mind is made up on the subject, but if you do a search you will find 2730 links on this subject for Prescott Bush, and another 3280 links on George Herbert Walkers involvment in trading with the Nazis.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Friends of I.G. Farben
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2003, 04:23:49 AM »
Yes wiezelle only ignorant people like me fail to see that Bush is indeed satan himself...

Anyhow this thread is getting old and it surely must have been a major dissapointment for you as it's clear you have converted nobody to see the true great satan is Bush - try again the internet is huge...

Till then, stew happily in your filth and hatred you pathetic little creature....

Offline H. Godwineson

• Nickel Member
Friends of I.G. Farben
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2003, 10:43:25 AM »
Weazel,

You're right.  My mind is made up.  Apparently, so is yours.  

If the government of that time saw no reason to prosecute Prescott Bush, then why should it matter to us?  Are we to judge George Herbert Walker Bush II harshly because of the actions of his grandfather that took place more than 60 years ago?

The actions to seize Prescott's holdings that had been doing business with the Nazis took place in October of 1942.  The war was only nine months old.  The investigations of this "scandal" had to have begun many months prior to that date.  The legal arguments and trial must have taken a great deal of time as well.  

The government knew that the dealings with I.G. Farben before December of 1941 were perfectly legal.  I state again that, even in time of war, the government must go through due process in order to seize the assets of any American company, even if some of those holdings have foreign connections.  There was hardly a major American corporation of the 1930s that did not have some financial dealings or partnerships with German corporations.  The government wasn't about to arrest the chairmen and boards of all of these American companies because of their business ties with Nazi owned companies.  If they had done so, we would have been obliged to arrest all of those who had dealings with Iraqi based companies prior to the Gulf War.  That would not only be idiotic, it would be grossly unfair.

Stop beating this horse and start looking for a real issue.

Shuckins

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
Friends of I.G. Farben
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2003, 12:54:51 PM »
nobodys saying bush is a nazi, only that some of his family fortune comes from doing business with nazis (on the other side of the aisle kennedy $$ is from organized crime). denying facts about his family history shows a great lack of intellectual flexibility.
henry ford & charles lindbergh were great friends of hitler's too & they weren't thrown in jail either (they changed their tune after the war started, not late in '42 - [Raoul Wallenberg's family business was selling to hitler into '44, and he is considered somewhat of a hero/martyr])...i drive a ford

Offline H. Godwineson

• Nickel Member
Friends of I.G. Farben
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2003, 01:01:50 PM »
Whgates,

I understand what you're saying.  Just think it's lot of to-do over something that the younger Bush had no control over and which was not considered to be of major importance by the Roosevelt administration.  The seizure of these types of businesses was rather routine.  I doubt seriously that these business would have been able to trade with the Nazis after war was declared, even if they had wanted to, because of the war in the Atlantic.  Dealings with German corporations were not only legal but actually encouraged by the government during the 1920s and '30s.

I drive a piece of crap.  Died on me on the way to work this morning.  Took me 30 minutes to get it restarted.  A Buick.

Maybe I should buy German or Japanese autos.

Regards, Shuckins

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
Friends of I.G. Farben
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2003, 03:05:52 PM »
if you're going to drive a GM machine, get an old one - an FM-2

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Friends of I.G. Farben
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2003, 03:07:44 PM »
nobodys saying bush is a nazi

Hmm, I must have been looking at a different picture when I clicked the link.

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
Friends of I.G. Farben
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2003, 03:34:35 PM »
farce & hyperbole are quite traditional forms of political speech

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Friends of I.G. Farben
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2003, 05:04:20 PM »
Puh-leaze.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Friends of I.G. Farben
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2003, 09:31:45 PM »
wiezelle is calling this the fourth reich...

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Lighten up Weasel you too Gates
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2003, 01:12:27 AM »
Anybody ever look into how Joe Kennedy made his money? or his Nazi sympathies when he was ambassador to Great Britian?  

Lots of ties to lots of nefarious people in any powerful family, if you follow the "college chums' brother-in-law knew a guy" road.

The GWB Nazi stuff is too far over the top to be decent political farce.  Good farce is supposed to have an humorous element, and show at least a little truth to set up the joke.

The list of american industry that was involved in relations with Nazi Germany was vast.  Ford built a large vehicle factory, Mellon Bank, you name the large corporation, there were ties.  

The US Navy had ties to Germany as late as 1937...  The Hindenburg crashed at their facility, which was leased for the purpose of a port for dirigibles.  Perhaps we sould disband the Navy due to this historical relationship. {or is that sarcasm?}
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Friends of I.G. Farben
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2003, 06:07:48 AM »
Don't get me wrong, the film was amusing in many ways. It had some style. Don't doubt for a second there aren't viewers bobbing their heads in assent at every point. Don't doubt for a second this wasn't the primary point of the makers.