Author Topic: How Do You Quit The Game?  (Read 902 times)

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
How Do You Quit The Game?
« on: January 20, 2003, 07:00:00 PM »
Hi Everybody!

I just downloaded the game and start playing it to seewhat's around.

Well at one point I kinda crashed but didn't die.

Here we go... I wanted to quit the game and/or go to choose another plane to try out.

Can you guys tell me what do I have to press to quit the game while playing, and turn to the main menu? and how do you quit the entire game generally speaking?!

Sorry cuz I bother you with this dum question, but i just couldn't find that darn button.

THANK YOU!
Diamax

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2003, 07:16:53 PM »
After you bail/ditch, you've gotta come to a complete stop.  Hit ESC to bring up your clipboard, then click "Tower."  You'll find yourself back in the tower.  There you can click "Quit" on your clipboard to log off, or "Hangar" to select a different plane.    

If you actually die (pilot dead), you should find yourself back in the tower automatically.  

Hope this solves your problem.  Feel free to ask if you've got any more questions.  In the game, you can type "/" (the backslash button) to bring up the text buffer and ask questions there.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2003, 07:21:01 PM by Tarmac »

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 07:56:26 PM »
Thanx A Lot Tarmac!!

I just figured out the thing with the Tower.
Man is hard when you do not have the patience to read thru... LOL.
However please bear with me as I'm not familiar with the terms and english is not my first... What bail and ditch means?
Diamax

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2003, 09:29:29 PM »
Bail: to bail out of your airplane.  To jump out, then use (or perhaps not use) your parachute.  To bail, you hit "enter" 3 times.  Press "o" to open your chute.  

Ditch:  to land or crashland your plane someplace other than a runway.  Usually refers to a crash landing in water, but can also mean a landing or crash in a field.  You usually ditch when your plane is damaged but still flyable (damaged engine, out of fuel).  Basically any landing that isn't on a runway.  

Have you seen the help pages?  You might find them handy.  Look for the downloadable help file.  

http://www.hitechcreations.com/helphom.html

netaces.org is another good place to go for help.

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2003, 10:46:53 PM »
Hello Tarmac!!

Very good explanations, I understand now what those terms mean.
I downloaded that help file, I actually downloaded everything on site LOL.
I really like this game, even tough is kinda hard to manouver these planes.

Again Thanx a Lot for your patience explaining those words to me, and for all your help.
Maybe I'll see you around on a server or something.

Cya!!:)
Diamax

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2003, 11:02:04 PM »
Yeah, it's tough in the beginning, but keep at it Diablomax!  It's a ton of fun once you get flying around and shooting stuff.  And don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.  There's always someone who will help out.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2003, 05:20:47 AM »
I downloaded that help file, I actually downloaded everything on site LOL.
I really like this game, even tough is kinda hard to manouver these planes.

Again Thanx a Lot for your patience explaining those words to me, and for all your help.
Maybe I'll see you around on a server or something.

DiabloMax,

May I suggest you spend some time in the training arena? There are many new people in there who are either just beginning or at just a little higher level. By learning along with them you have a chance to experience the fun of the dogfight and get help from more experienced virtual pilots without the frustrations of going up against old veterans immediately. AS you say, it can be hard. The training arena makes it much easier to learn.:)

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2003, 11:29:57 AM »
While motionless on the ground (i.e. not walking or driving or anything), you can also type in what is called a dot command to exit to the tower.  Open your radio buffer with the / key, then type in .ef  

The .ef command is to end flight and should send you straight back to the tower so you can start over.  In the Training Arena, it is enabled all the time, so even if you are in your airplane and flying, but need/want to get back to the tower quickly, you can issue the .ef command (remember, you do it in the radio buffer).

There are other dot commands that are useful also, but you can find descriptions of some of those in the help.

-Soda
AH Trainer Corp
The Assassins.

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2003, 12:46:35 PM »
Hello guys!!

Thank You for all your help!! Nice people around here!:)

I didn't play online yet, because I want to get more comfortable with the game and after that I'll try online.

However I might want to try the training arena, I believe that is an online section, is that right? How do I get in there? Is that a special room on the server, are there a lot of rooms??

ONE MORE THING!!

What is the last version number (name) of Aces High??
I want to buy it from the store, because I believe the one I downloaded is kinda like a demo version, right? In there is only one map, or at least I cannot see more than one. I'd like to have the full version.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 01:31:08 PM by Diamax »
Diamax

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2003, 02:04:32 PM »
The training arena is in the online section of the game.  Start the game, log in, then look at the screen and it will show all the arenas available for your use.  The Training Arena (TA) usually has a small group of pilots in it, some who are also learning, and others who are there to try and help out.  Feel free to ask questions, or ask for help, when in there as there are usually people who may have the same questions, or people who can answer them.  Also, look for members who are in the Training Corps (I'm a member), they often transmit on the radio in a blue colour.  They are specifically there to help people out.

There is no store version of Aces High, you have the full version from the download, and if there are updates it will automatically prompt you when you log in to download the latest version.  If you version is fairly seriously out of date it may take a little while, but if you are simply missing the latest patches, it shouldn't take long at all.  Maps will also download as required when you enter an arena for which you don't have a map, or for which a new map is available.  Simple as can be.  If your download connection is slow, I think you can order an version on CD from HTC, but typically this shouldn't be required (I don't know anyone who has ordered one)

-Soda
AH Trainer
The Assassins.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2003, 02:08:12 PM »
One additional point.  You can only log into the online section of the game if you are still on your 2 week free trial, or if you have become a paying member.  Once the 2 week trial is over, you have to pay, even for the training arena.  If you are still on your 2 week trial though you are free to do everything that a paying member can, no restrictions.

You may also want to check out the help files on the Aces High Website, and check out http://www.netaces.org (a site run by one of the AH Trainers).  There are lots of links on Netaces to many other AH information sites.

-Soda
AH Trainer
The Assassins.

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2003, 09:45:28 PM »
Thanx Soda!

Nice link there, alot of tips and stuff.

I want to ask you about some manouvering tips.

Today I played again single player (offline), and in the beggining was very frustrating, I was going down a lot of times, I was just going down in rotation and couldn't control the aircraft anymore (I don't know the term in english for this).

However at some point I start gaining a litlle bit more control over the situation, regaining control over the plane by using the "X" key on the keyboard and the mouse. Still from time to time I lose control of the plane. I think this happens when I try to manouver a little bit to fast, or suddenly, let's say when I try to turn the plane too short (in a small circle).
Can you please tell me what is the best way to regain control over the plane when in such situation, is there a trick or someting, cuz sometimes is very hard to regain the control and when I'm close by the ground most of the time I just crash the plane.

Another question... how do you control the speed of the plane? I tried by using the "-" and "+" on the keyboard and on the num pad of the keyboard, but it didn't do anything.

Sorry if I bother you too much...:)  Do you know any site (beside the official one) that has maps for Aces High? planes, and skins, all this kind of things?

Thank You Very Much!
Diamax

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2003, 07:23:32 AM »
The english word for the control loss is "stall". Some planes' stall is more pronounced/nasty than others.

It happens when the constant stream of air around a wing is interrupted - you're either going too slow, or maneuvering too hard.

To pull out, apply full rudder against the direction your plane is rotating in, cut throttle for a bit. When the rotation has stopped, let the plane gather some speed first, then *gently* pull up.

See the keymapping ( Clipboard -> Setup -> Key Mapping ) for keys to increase/decrease throttle. To effectively control your plane, you'll need a joystick with throttle control plus either a twist axis or rudder pedals for rudder control.

Welcome aboard !

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2003, 10:57:52 AM »
Thank You Devious!!

So when you go down spinning out of control, that is called stalling (stall=loss of control)

I'm not sure exactly what do you mean by rudder, but I'll figure all this out. I guess I have to learn the terms. That is OK.

Thank You again!!
Diamax

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2003, 11:09:41 AM »
I might recommend picking a plane with fairly easy handling to start with, that is less prone to serious stalls with a wider margin of low speed safety.  The Spitfire (V or IX) tends to be very easy to control, so might be a smart choice.

Usually, I find people stalling because they forget that the planes in AH aren't jets that have lots of excess thrust.  To actually reach maximum speed in any plane in AH can take in excess of 2.5 minutes.  You should always be looking to maintain at least 200mph so that you can have some control and not risk a slow stall.  250mph is even better.  Also, climb a bit, get above 5K, which will give you a chance to recover if you do stall.

One additional comment, I'm not sure if you have a joystick to control flight or not, but you really need to have one.  Flying with a keyboard/mouse/gamepad is unlikely to get you very far.  A properly calibrated joystick is a must.

-Soda
AH Trainer
The Assassins.