Author Topic: New FM for Aces High II ?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
New FM for Aces High II ?
« on: January 20, 2003, 10:23:52 PM »
Can we hope that Aces High II will come with new or improved FM and DM  or we'll go the WBIII way ?

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2003, 10:31:46 PM »
What's wrong with the FM?

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 10:59:50 PM »
Dunno about the FM but it would be nice to see a updated DM.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2003, 11:03:58 PM »
Would it affect performance in the AM or delay the arrival of the PM?

Or will Kurt Tank re-invent SM?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2003, 11:12:48 PM »
I would like to see  more  immersion of flight. I would like to see better planes behaviour especially in stalls and spins. I would like also to see the effects of automatic slats working and some turbulense influences making the flight much more real and fun.
It would be better to see the wings loosing appropriate lift due to the damages in the surfaces etc.

This list could be continued

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2003, 11:26:57 PM »
wouldn't we all. :D

Originally posted by -aper-
I would like to see better planes behaviour especially in stalls and spins.  
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline DrDea/Kvorkian

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2003, 02:22:07 AM »
I would also like to see Pamela Anderson knock on my door with a cam corder and a fist full of cash.Wake up.:rolleyes:   edited....Topless of course
« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 02:25:37 AM by DrDea/Kvorkian »

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2003, 04:44:54 AM »
What is really important to the game is to keep it up to date according to 2003 year standarts.

FM and DM of AH is kinda old. IL-2 is by far ahead now.
I see nothing wrong if HTC decided to improve graphics but without improving the FM and DM it would be the same mistake as iEN made with WBIII.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2003, 04:56:11 AM »
FM dated? How do you work that one out? An FM is either accurate or it isn't - it it ain't broke...

Slats are already modelled, just not visually. They are still coded into the game.

I would like to see visual representations of already modelled phenomena. As for the damage model, more incremental damage would be good - like a few more steps between wingtip gone and wing gone. Perhaps even fuel leaks turning into fires. I would also like to see aircraft remain on the FE after the pilot bails. Oil/dirt on the windscreen from being too close to other aircraft or from engine damage.

I've no idea how difficult these would be to place in a multiplayer environment, but they would be cool.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Griego

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2003, 05:15:33 AM »
I would like to see bullet holes in my canopy,planes etc...

In other words better graphics in cockpits since this is what you see all the time. When i land i would like to see the damage on my plane.  

I would like to see planes blow up or pilot died when there planes on fire.  I would like to see fire in cockpits or oil on canopy.

I would like to see better tracer graphics. Like tracers that tumble like in the WWII guncam I've seen.  small explosion on planes when there being hit like IL-2 . or Warbirds.  I would like to see a smearing of oil when I follow a plane to close that is leaking oily smoke

I would like to see a better FM where you have accelerated stalls.  oh i could go on and on   :D

« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 05:18:26 AM by Griego »

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2003, 05:51:53 AM »
Dowding
The planes data (like speeds, climbs , accelerations) are calculated and implemented very well. The FM itself is kinda ill. How good the plane can fly without both wings! Or why the planes are falling nose-up without h-stab? Something is really wrong with calculating lift/mass/torque/airdrag. When you fly strait the balance is ok, but on critical AOA or while loosing some parts the planes behaviour are very strange.
That could be improved for sure and it has nothing to do with multiplayer.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2003, 06:13:53 AM »
Originally posted by -aper-
Dowding
The planes data (like speeds, climbs , accelerations) are calculated and implemented very well. The FM itself is kinda ill. How good the plane can fly without both wings!

Inertia and gravity...

I hope you don't mean they still can maneuver ?
Falling is barely flying :p

Or why the planes are falling nose-up without h-stab?

In this case what should they do ?
Dive ?

The stabilo is here to counter act the portance of the wing so if you remove it ...

Something is really wrong with calculating lift/mass/torque/airdrag. When you fly strait the balance is ok, but on critical AOA or while loosing some parts the planes behaviour are very strange.

What are you refering too ?
It's admitted that visual damage in AH are not EXACTLY  what the FM engine use (dunno if it's true or not).

That could be improved for sure and it has nothing to do with multiplayer.

Dunno again :)

Have a look to http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/how/htm/how.html
« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 06:15:54 AM by straffo »

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2003, 08:48:22 AM »
AH II? what's AHII? Is that on the way?
What's wrong with AH? Seems to be very elastic in the updating department, and as pointed out, FM is not anything that becomes obsolete once good programmed. Surely the FM is pretty good in Il-2, but IMHO AH is considerably better.
Graphics are fine in Il-2, but consider that a good part of our community does not even have the machines to run it properly (regarding fps), so I am quite thankful  to HTC to keep AH within moderate Computer requirements.
Damage Model is something that is programmable, and I do have the faith in HTC to code in a better DM later on,,,as we proceed.
Alas, our wishlist is simply too big, but at least HTC seems to take it into consideration all the time.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2003, 09:09:51 AM »
Heya's,

I work in wireless networks that run "thin" and "thick" client applications. For years (not anymore since 802.11B) the goel was minimize the amount of data being sent and received. Aces High focuses on the same problem when dealing with traffic on the internet. Send the least amount of data and get the best response time with less lag.

However what I don't get is that we are all running thick client apps on our PC's (that being Aces High). So why is our damage model so vanella? After all it is not taking place on there servers? It's happening real time on our machine? In other words the HTC server says in some code format that says your left wing should explode and that message is sent out over the internet to your PC, but the explosion and the graphics are all in your house on you machine. The message/code from HTC is unchanged regardless of the damage model much the same as your engines sounds or other effects do not reley on there servers or code.

Also I can run much more graphics intensive programs on my machine without the frame slowdown. Why is HTC such a framerate hog?? I am not a programmer.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2003, 09:19:23 AM »
Gentlemen

Its been my experience for the last 3 years that Dale is ussually thinking at least a year ahead of us.

I'm sure he is constantly looking at what it takes to keep AH viable. Hes seen all the mistakes the other guys have made.

Lets have a bit of faith that when we need AH II he'll have it there for us eh?

Rock on HTC.