Author Topic: Computer Shopping  (Read 286 times)

Offline obiter dictum

• Zinc Member
Computer Shopping
« on: January 24, 2003, 04:50:32 PM »
This may seem a little eccentric, but I'm having some problems with AH and my old computer so I'm going to go buy a new one.  I haven't been on since Air Warrior went kaput and am very excited to rejoin the world of on-line WWII fighter planes.  I would like a few suggestions on purchasing a system that will be highly compatible with AH with special attention to:

processing speed
ram
sound card
video graphics card

Thanx in advance!

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
Computer Shopping
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 06:50:37 PM »
counts if you want a waranty or not,,and how much you wanna spend,,,if i didnt know a thing about computer,,i would look at the dell web site,,,and pick somthing with a good waranty,,and fast as hell,,lol,,alienwear is a little over priced,,you can get same preformance and parts inside a dell,,,or gateway,for about half the price,,,and building your own computer from scratch is even cheaper!,,but then again,,if you have no experiance building them,,it mite be best to go dell or gateway,,i would recomend dell,,sence i keep seeing so many of them go threw hell and keep runing,,plus they got a great waranty

if i was you,,i would look for a computer with atleast 2.5 gig prossesor and above pentuim4 with rdram or ddr{stay away from motherboards with sdram}<~~counts how much money you wanna spend,,a nice geforce 4 ti4600 card,,,7200 speed hard drive,,40gig and above hard drive,,and you should be setting pretty for atleast 2 or 3 years,,and make sure the mother board has atleast 500mhz on bus speed<~~knowing your motherboards bus speed with be importaint in the futrue when you want to add more memory to keep up,,,,and a sound blaster live,,or soundblaster live gamer soundcard<~~that should be anuff too run aces high 5 times over:)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2003, 01:25:44 AM by hyena426 »

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Computer Shopping
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2003, 02:25:45 AM »
The above post was good advise.  However, if you know computers and what to do, building one is fast and easy.  Mind you, I am a cheap old hermit, and do NOT like to spend my hard earned bucks.

Don't laugh just yet.  I bought a motherboard ...........ASUS that supported up to a 933MHZ Processor.  I then bought the RAM 256K strips of DIMM.......again Older technology, because it's cheaper.  I recently upgraded my video to GeForce4 MX......... because it was cheaper.  I have a SoundBlaster 16 Sound card...... less than $20.  I am telling a story.  

I use the latest stuff for reference.  I purchase the older stuff for use.  I save huge amounts of dollars.  I use Windows 98 SE.  2 years ago I spent $650 to build this unit.  I have added 256K of memory and upgraded the video card from GeForce2 to 4.  RAM was $20.00.  The GeForce4 card was $79.00.  Now I have a PC with a 933 MHZ Intel Processor, 512MB RAM, GeForce4 64MB Video card, Soundblaster16 sound card, 10GB Hard drive, and can format it and have a sweet machine for under a grand.  Mind you, that includes everything.  (and it's 2 years old) It rocks........... for the price.  Just saying.  :)

K-KEN

http://www.cutthroats.com/

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
Computer Shopping
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2003, 02:35:56 AM »
just looked on http://www.dell.com and they got a 8250,, 2.4gig,,upgradable to 3.06 gig,,,rdram pc1066,,geforce4,,,,hole boat for 900bucks,,which aint bad for having everything,,,flat screen monitor,,,and im sure that would scream for a few years,,lol,,,makes me wanna get a new computer damnit,,lol my old 1.4 pentium 4 starting to feal old after 3 years,,lol<~~but it still runs like butter so i cant complain
« Last Edit: January 25, 2003, 02:54:09 AM by hyena426 »