Author Topic: flying the LW planes  (Read 1482 times)

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
flying the LW planes
« on: January 28, 2003, 06:07:46 AM »
OK I've had my fill of the Niks and La7 and spits.... moved onto some of the American iron... p38, p51, and my fav the "hog", but now its time to fly some of the luffwaffe planes. I'm kinda partial to the FW190-A5. I know about the low fuel...take a drop tank, I know about the poor wing guns that only add wieght, NOT lethality, but any other tips would be great!

I seem to remember someone posting a write up on LW planes and how to fly them, but after searching for over an hour I can't find it.... anyone still got a link, or an authers name?

Thanks again !

Maddog Joe

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
flying the LW planes
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 06:51:57 AM »
Most important part of flying the 190s:
The auto fuel manager is wrong, you need to burn the AFT tank first, not the FWD.  The plane handlles MUCH better with the aft empty first.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43808
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70815

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
flying the LW planes
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2003, 11:47:24 AM »
your looking for Urchins luftwabble primer...great thread

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
flying the LW planes
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2003, 04:12:19 PM »
Thanks guys ! :D

Maddog Joe

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
flying the LW planes
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2003, 12:40:45 AM »
Urchin wrote a good one on LW planes a while back.. It'll be kicking around somewhere.
Army of Muppets

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
flying the LW planes
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2003, 03:04:50 PM »
As you won't be able to turn with most planes, practise deflection shooting.

Most kills I get this way go like:

The bastard sees me coming and breaks, so I readjust to have him fly through my line of fire at approx 500 yds. There he comes, his upside pointing at my front. As he passes before me, I squeeze off a half-second-burst.

Now he either falls from the sky, sawed in half and/or burning - or I just pull up gently and rinse and repeat.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
flying the LW planes
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 02:14:31 AM »
Originally posted by devious
As you won't be able to turn with most planes, practise deflection shooting.

Most kills I get this way go like:

The bastard sees me coming and breaks, so I readjust to have him fly through my line of fire at approx 500 yds. There he comes, his upside pointing at my front. As he passes before me, I squeeze off a half-second-burst.

Now he either falls from the sky, sawed in half and/or burning - or I just pull up gently and rinse and repeat.

Or the said tnb weenie get's his nose on you and tears your vertical and/or horizontal stabs off... but we never like to talk about that part, eh :)
Army of Muppets

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
flying the LW planes
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 09:06:18 AM »
With the limited time I've had to fly lately I've played with both the A5 and the G10.

In the A5 I take a drop tank, and burn the aft tank as I climb out. I'v e fought both with and with out the DT on and as long as you BnZ it works ok. Biggest trouble I have is getting an enemy to a low enough "E" state to make a good guns pass. Most of the time I get 2 or 3 enemy grabbin behind me while I work on the one. Is there any suggestions on a merge that will get me in a better firering position faster?

In the 109G10 I seem to be riding the stall buzzer all the time.  I was trying to "E" fight in the 109, but every time I turned back I was buzzing. Should I burn the tanks in a special order on this plane too? Again, is there a merge that will help on this one too?

Films of either of these planes in action would be great too, anyone got a link ??

Thanks for all the help !

Maddog Joe

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
flying the LW planes
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2003, 10:24:07 AM »
The 109 G-10 is a good fighting plane, but you will be riding the stall buzzer the whole fight, there isn't any way around it.  Best merge for the MA is probably a zoom, depending on the relative E-states of you and your opponent.  

Usually I will zoom up and look to see if the enemy followed me- if he did you can continue the zoom (usually adding some sort of spiral component to make it harder for them to shoot you), then wait till they run out of speed and it turns into a rope.  If they don't follow you up, you come over the top and get behind them.  From there, if they do a turn, you do a high yo-yo, wait till they quit turning and drop in behind them again.  The 109 is a very poor BnZ plane due to lackluster high speed handling- but you can use your superior acceleration and climb-rate to stay above and behind someone until they get slow enough that you can 'saddle up' for the kill.

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
flying the LW planes
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2003, 12:22:04 PM »
thanks Urchin, another question... do you use flaps in the 109, or if I'm that slow Im dead anyway?  ;)  

Maddog Joe

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
flying the LW planes
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2003, 01:39:18 PM »
The only time I ever use flaps is at very low speed, usually 110-120 mph.  Most of the time you'll be to fast to deploy them anyway.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
flying the LW planes
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2003, 05:42:44 PM »
Check out my website for 109 tips, Check training and read the aircraft write ups.

Link is in my sig.........

I like to think I taught urchin wetrat  everything the know but they could shoot me down from day 1........

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
flying the LW planes
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2003, 04:03:18 AM »
Here's also a small link where Gabber asked about 109s and 190s.. I'm barely average in 190, but the 109s I've used it for a long time.. perhaps some of the info in here can help..

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
flying the LW planes
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2003, 06:31:28 PM »
Thanks for the posts guys! Anuone have any good films they can post, or point me too? I've been to the Virtual Air Combat Maneuvering Training Acadamy and checked out the films by AKNimitz.

Thanks again !

Maddog Joe

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Someone ask for Urchin's "How To Fly the LW Planes"?
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2003, 01:40:37 PM »
I put the whole thing in a single document.  I'm uploading the .txt version since AH won't let me do the prettier .doc form. Enjoy.