Author Topic: AH2 & icons  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
AH2 & icons
« on: January 30, 2003, 03:35:20 AM »
S!

My g'old icon mantra:

Homm..

Its about the time to update the icon system....

Homm...

Precise range finder must go at least under 1000 yard....

Hommm...

Fading code for long distance icons is needed....

Hommm...

One liter of milk, light bre... Oops

Hommm...

Have nice day

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
AH2 & icons
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 04:10:39 PM »
Has anyone heard what the icon system will be like in AH2?  I pretty much agree with the above.

MiniD

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
AH2 & icons
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 04:22:20 PM »
Agreed.  I would also like to suggest that there be no range data.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
AH2 & icons
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 02:48:56 AM »
There will be combat training, not for nothing.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
AH2 & icons
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 12:22:54 PM »
Who needs combat training?

Btw, what we going to be shooting, target drones?

Offline Ridge

• Copper Member
      • http://www.combatfs.com/forums/index.php
AH2 & icons
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2003, 04:11:13 PM »
I prefer range finders on the tags for this reason:

When Im flyin a bomber, and I do that often, I find it hard enough to see the aircraft that blend in with many maps, and they are then able to sneak up on me and shoot me down with an unfair advantage because I dont have 8 other guys in there with me watching my bellybutton as gunners. It allows me to get an idea of how far away they are, and when I should open fire...

S!

Ridge

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
AH2 & icons
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2003, 10:29:09 AM »
Considering bombers have an unfair advantage of multiple superbly accurate guns firing towards a single point with laser-guided efficiency, I'd say it's about the same for both sides.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
AH2 & icons
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2003, 01:16:40 PM »
I like the ICONS the way they are.  I'd prefer getting rid of the "country picture" part of them though and simply having a separate color for each country, be it two or three countries.

I could happily make do without the exact range counter at close ranges; ".3" is good enough to tell me that a plane is about 300 yards away and it'd take up less space than "325".

J_A_B

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
AH2 & icons
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2003, 04:20:40 PM »
First of all there MUST be some sort of rang indicator at distances of over 1000 PERIOD.   You do not have enough pixel info on a computer screen to accuratly depict what any bozo in real life can see.

Under 1000 Yards, I have LESS of a problem with removing the distance info as long as you ADD a closure rate.  Again, there just isnt enough info on the computer screen to give an accurate closure rate from the visual cues.  I however still think the distance info needs to be there because on a computer monitor a B17 at 1000 yards looks identical to an Me-109 at 200 yards......as in, you cant judge distance without an implicite memory for the size of each target....which is clearly not an issue in real life at shorter distances.

Until we all have 3d glasses, the range icons need to be there

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
AH2 & icons
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2003, 04:52:03 PM »
Kweassa,

I suspect you do not fly bombers very often.  The guns are far from accurate, and since there is no magical way for them to know how far away the target is you're firing at, the convergence is way off.  You can hit a plane with maybe one gun at a time until they fly through the sweet spot, but since that sweet spot is as about 200 yards, the guns on a bomber are pretty useless for fighting off all but the most incompetent (eg, slowly approaching from the 6) attacks.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
AH2 & icons
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2003, 05:03:27 PM »
I don't like range info in the icon.  I'd like to see some thing like at 3k you get 109 at 1k you'd get 109g and that's all.  

accurate range data is to big a help in fights.  First it really helps with those 800yd kills.  Second it promotes some tactics that were rarely if ever used in WWII.   The one I think that best makes the point is the rope a dope.  How likely would you be to try a vertical zoom climb with that Spitfire hot on your six if you couldn't instantly look back and see if he was gaining, losing, or just maintaining range?  How about in that turn fight?  I know one of the ways I can tell if Im gaining the advantage in a turn fight is watch the angle vs the range.  If im rapidly gaining angle but the range is rapidly closing I know Im going to cross his 6 with a high angle off with only a snapshot and a big over shoot he my use against me.  However if Im gaining angles and the range is steady or just closing slowly I know Im going to get a low deflection shot with little chance of over shoot.

So how do you measure closure or if your in gun range?  That's what the gun sight is for.  Is he filling more and more of the space between the marks on the sight?  If so he's getting closer.  When is he close enough to shoot?  Well the marks on my gun sight are as wide as an average fighters wingspan at 200yds.

I flew in an event in warbirds several years ago where we had normal icons but no range data, it was really eye opening.  A lot more fights ended in both guys disengaging because neither could be sure they were gaining the advantage.  Very few of those "chase you half way across the arena" because without the range data he couldn't tell he was gaining at 2 yds a minute.  It was great to be able to get a cripple home now and again.

Just my thoughts

Sharky
« Last Edit: February 14, 2003, 04:02:28 PM by Sharky »

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
AH2 & icons
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2003, 05:29:20 PM »
Sharky

try Poulsbo

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
AH2 & icons
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2003, 09:55:14 PM »
Chair, I fly bombers as often as fly fighters.

Convergence is only a issue of the drone's guns.

Other than that, all guns within the angle to point them at the approaching enemy, fire at a concentrated area. This concentration is powerful even for a single buff. Besides, no vibrations whatsoever in any of the buff guns, plus a nifty external view for tracking things.

Why do you think there is actually a "myth" going around people that the buff guns have been purposely strengthened?

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
AH2 & icons
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2003, 10:17:35 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
Sharky

try Poulsbo

Hehe,

Yeah Furious I always screw that up :)   And I always remember my phone number wrong also.

Sharky

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
AH2 & icons
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2003, 02:02:38 PM »
I, Personally, would prefer no icons. I know that isn't going to happen though. Hopefully the icon they use will be somewhat generic, in that it would fade in and out with distance but not include the aircraft type until an even shorter range (i.e.-I can see that is the plane over there and have a relative feel for it's range, but it is still too far away to I.D.).

I would like to see something like that implemented. Perhaps I'm a Masochist, but when I fly IL-2 I like flying it with the icons off. It's more fun when you have to figure out which planes are the enemy and which are friendly without a neon sign advertising it. I understand that many sims are trying to use the icons to simulate visual accuity on a PC, but the 'type tag' along with 'nation tags' make it way too easy. I just would like something that adds a little to the benefits of good SA and doesn't detract from the realism/immersion factor being sought in AH2:ToD