Author Topic: padlock view  (Read 294 times)

bug

padlock view
« on: September 10, 2000, 08:23:00 PM »
who likes it and why
who dislikes it and why
I don't care for it as I can't turn the damn thing off

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
padlock view
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2000, 08:52:00 PM »
I neither like it nor dislike it...

As it requires me to map it on settings (I have keys remapped), I dont even take the time to map them to try them. I wont use it neither way...  

LJK Raubvogel

padlock view
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2000, 09:24:00 PM »
Haven't used or tried it...seems like too much work to set it up  

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
Luftjägerkorps

Rock

padlock view
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2000, 09:37:00 PM »
Combat trim and padlock, yep too much work. I'd never have time to play with all those keys to map.  

Tailslide

padlock view
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2000, 01:05:00 AM »

It's a good first effort.  The features are good but the implementation is still a bit klunky I'm sure it will continue to improve.

TS

Offline WizOfClay

• Zinc Member
padlock view
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2000, 11:14:00 AM »
this is my first combat flight sim, and don't even know what padlock view is... can someone explain on what it is and how to use it please?
thanks in advance

------------------
Wiz of TSM

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with."
                                --W.C. Fields (1879-1946)

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
padlock view
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2000, 11:39:00 AM »
The skinny on Padlock Views

First, in order to get Padlock view to work you must make sure it is mapped in the setup keymap section. You should see the padlock view associated with the F11 key, the Target cycle with the TAB key, and the Friendly mode toggle with the ctrl and tab. etc. for all the new keys introduced in 1.04

Once they are mapped, and they might already be mapped for you if you haven't done any previous mapping, then hit F11 when in flight to turn on the Padlock views.

If you are trying it out off line at field A1 you will have to hit Control Tab to turn on padlock viewing friendly planes as the drones are all friendly planes there. Try it while sitting at the runway. Now hit TAB to cycle between the drone targets. When you have one blocked just sit and wait until it goes out of view. You will notice that your viewing head turns to follow this target wherever it goes as long as it isn't blocked by the wing etc. If you hit TAB you will cycle between any viewable targets. Try out the other keys.

Now try flying around with this. It's great to follow a target, but can you fly and keep the plane under control like this?? If not program another key on your stick to be able to look at the front view (keypad 8). This will allow you to follow your target, but quickly orient yourself by hitting the keypad 8. Once you release the front view you should be looking at the target again.

If you have a Saitek stick I have sent along an updated profile to replace the old available download file RangerBob.zip including the padlock keys programmed into it. It should be up for downloading soon as RangerBOB.zip in the download area. If you have another stick just program it in.

Some like it. Some hate it. Kinda sounds like life doesn't it?

Ranger Bob

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
padlock view
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2000, 11:41:00 AM »
So, Bob, is it 'advantageous' as early whines, er, I mean posts claimed that it would be???

SpyHawk

padlock view
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2000, 01:39:00 PM »
I like it, but I don't use it. I applaud the effort, but the execution is... not what I expected.

bug

padlock view
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2000, 02:14:00 PM »
Same here. I don't see how it gives me any advantage over experience players. Wouldn't be bad if you could toggle it off. Maybe.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
padlock view
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2000, 02:19:00 PM »
Came from Air Warrior, never had padlock so won't be using it even if it is refined.

Offline Snoopi

• Zinc Member
padlock view
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2000, 02:41:00 PM »
For what it's worth..(not much I think)

I don't like it.
It tracks way too strangely.
(look at how/when it switches to each view)

I think Padlocks just add more workload.
Oh look a target !!.. "TAB"...hmmm i should check 6...."view change"...hmmm other bogey is leaving I'll engage the guy who just overshot...."shift Tab"....  :P
The hat switch is much faster.
(mind you I have no rudder pedals, and have to use the keyboard)

I don't think it helps anyone at all, the way it is.

But then again, I'm used to manual views and have always preferred them in Prop sims.
I think Padlocks just add more workload.

Offline Jack55

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
padlock view
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2000, 04:22:00 PM »
Like it, but would like to see the view closest to straight ahead given priority if there is an overlap between several views.

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
padlock view
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2000, 07:24:00 PM »
"So, Bob, is it 'advantageous' as early whines, er, I mean posts claimed that it would be???"
Ripsnort

The answer to that just depends on individual preference. I don't like it. I'm used to looking around and don't like being locked into viewing just one target.

"Same here. I don't see how it gives me any advantage over experience players. Wouldn't be bad if you could toggle it off. Maybe."
Bug

I agree and for that reason I revised my Saitek Stick profile to allow Padlock View mode to be toggled on and off quickly between my favorite SNAP View and Paddlock View. I also programmed the other padlock keys as well, and a look front (keypad 8) hat position, all on one of my extra stick hats.

This way I can quickly hit look front to orient the plane, and still stay locked on my target when I let go. I can quickly toggle between SNAP or Padlock View mode. I can click to target the bandit in the center of my screen, or click to toggle between bandits.

By the way this new revised stick profile is now up and ready for downloading if you use Saitek. It also includes the new bomber gunner positions.

After all that programming I still prefer the old method without Padlock. However, if I try it long enough I just might come to like it. If your using the keyboard forget it. It's just to complicated to use in combat.

Ranger Bob

Tailslide

padlock view
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2000, 08:04:00 PM »

I'd like it better if it tracked smoothly instead of jerking between 45 degree views.

Also it sometimes shuts off for no reason during the fight when the bandit is visible the whole time, can be aggrivating.

TS