Author Topic: war IS terrorism  (Read 559 times)

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
war IS terrorism
« on: January 30, 2003, 12:47:25 PM »
There is this contingent of Berkley rejects here in Seattle, the ones who were at the WTO riots throwing bottles at cops and then whining when they got arrested. The ones who drive their VW microbusses and subarus. They have this bumper sticker that they all have now: War IS Terrorism  makes me so mad I want to ram their granola-mobiles. at every opportunity, I ask these jobless parasites about their sticker, and they all parrot the same line: 'going to war is the same as terrorism as it kills innocents' and some crap about military industrialism.  I ask if the men who ran up the beaches in Normandy were terrorists? or if the men who froze at Valley Forge were terrorists, or any of the millions of men whom have died for freedom from all countries were terrorists? I always get the same stupid empty-headed response: "Well, thats different"  and they usually wander or drive away.

anyone out there have one of these stickers on their car? can you tell me what the hell you mean?

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
war IS terrorism
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 12:53:41 PM »
the winner of wars are the heros. the losers are terrorists. thats the difference. if we lost the revolution then our founding fathers would go down in history as terrorists and criminals.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
war IS terrorism
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 01:03:13 PM »
Originally posted by Frogm4n
the winner of wars are the heros. the losers are terrorists. thats the difference. if we lost the revolution then our founding fathers would go down in history as terrorists and criminals.

Hardly. Best example is the US Civil war (War between the States for y'all Southern folks).
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
war IS terrorism
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 01:30:19 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Hardly. Best example is the US Civil war (War between the States for y'all Southern folks).

Get it right Mav, the proper term for what you call the US Civil War was in fact the War of Northern Aggression.

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
war IS terrorism
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 01:48:30 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick Best example is the US Civil war (War between the States for y'all Southern folks). [/B]

Thats the "War of Northern Agression"  Son  ;)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
war IS terrorism
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 02:00:08 PM »
Terrorism is a tool of warfare.
sand

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Re: war IS terrorism
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 02:48:12 PM »
hawk220: I always get the same stupid empty-headed response: "Well, thats different"  and they usually wander or drive away.

anyone out there have one of these stickers on their car? can you tell me what the hell you mean?

No, I do not have such sticker on my car. But I as well as all libertarians and many conservatives/republicans of impeccable, even zealous patriotism (Pat Buchanan?) do not consider this war justified or "defensive".

Reasons are many. Most of them include harm that is and will be caused to our country. We do not believe that Hussein poses threat to US than should be dealt with militarily.
 Unlike president Bush, we really believe in virtues of freedom and democracy - that it can succeed on it's own rather than have to be brought on foreign "liberator"'s bayonets.

Maverick: Hardly. Best example is the US Civil war

No, Mav - unfortunately it's the best example for "winner writes history" position. Ever heard "americans have never been defeated?" - that's because southerners are forgoten. Have you heard a speach by a prominent civic leader recentry that all Confederate soldiers and officers should have been executed rather than pardoned? How about total misrepresentation what Confederacy stood for? I would not be surprised if in teh near future displaying "starts and bars" is punished stronger than swastika.

miko

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
war IS terrorism
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2003, 03:04:27 PM »
No, I do not have such sticker on my car. But I as well as all libertarians and many conservatives/republicans of impeccable, even zealous patriotism (Pat Buchanan?) do not consider this war justified or "defensive". - Miko

Miko, what exactly do you base this position on? Under what conditions would you consider war with Iraq to be justified?

I have to ask, because I think you probably support the idea of legalizing drugs like heroin, lsd, cocaine, etc. as well...  which I believe is a similar Libertarian position.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
war IS terrorism
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2003, 03:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by JimBear
Thats the "War of Northern Agression"  Son  ;)

Is that the one with the terrorists from the South attacking poor innocent women and children in the North?

Thats what my "new and improved" history book said anyway.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Re: war IS terrorism
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2003, 03:15:30 PM »
Originally posted by hawk220
or if the men who froze at Valley Forge were terrorists

OT - you know - as much as I squeak about living in this backwards state - I take alot of its historical heritage for granted... I can walk to the very site where these men camped from my office.  I can almost see the cannon out of my window.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
war IS terrorism
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2003, 03:31:29 PM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
Miko, what exactly do you base this position on? Under what conditions would you consider war with Iraq to be justified?

I have to ask, because I think you probably support the idea of legalizing drugs like heroin, lsd, cocaine, etc. as well...  which I believe is a similar Libertarian position.

I am sorry, I cannot reply now - have to go home. I may find time to do so tomorrow but I cannot promise. Even if I do, I will not be able to put it down as eloquently as more accomplished writers. If you read libertarian sources or conservative ones (like http://www.townhall.com),  you will find most of those reasons.
 I can assure you that I made carefull research and consideration before I came to my opinion.

As for drugs, etc. - I believe that government should not regulate any activity that does not pose direct threat/danger to other persons or their property, including free exchange of property/services and consumption by concenting adults.
 The children are not concenting adults, so anyone who offers anything to your child should be prosecuted. The contract must be enforced, so anyone who misleads/defrauds others must be prosecuted.

Such issues are matter of personal morality and responcibility, not government regulation.

I will soon post a fundamental explanation of the libertarian concepts of rights and freedom from which those policy conclusions follow naturally.

miko

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
war IS terrorism
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2003, 03:35:10 PM »
Saurdaukar

my wife is from Philly and when we went back there, we went to that site.. I was expecting a well preserved huge park like they have out West here, but was surprised to see so much development around it.  

oooo it just dawned on me.. you are a hop and a skip from Pat's aren't you? drrroooooool ok, please mail me a Pat's cheesesteak please, thank you.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
war IS terrorism
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2003, 04:09:18 PM »
I will soon post a fundamental explanation of the libertarian concepts of rights and freedom from which those policy conclusions follow naturally. - Miko

Ok. I'm looking forward to it.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: war IS terrorism
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2003, 04:36:17 PM »
Originally posted by miko2d

Unlike president Bush, we really believe in virtues of freedom and democracy - that it can succeed on it's own rather than have to be brought on foreign "liberator"'s bayonets.
miko

gee miko, are you forgeting the French helped the american colonies defeat the english.
 spain and holland also helped , but the french did the most, ships, men, guns, food , gunpowder, cannon , even officers to train the wild colonial boys, the french almost went bankrupt supporting the colonies.

we really liked the "foreign liberator's bayonets" at yorktown.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
war IS terrorism
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2003, 04:51:57 PM »
Originally posted by hawk220
Saurdaukar

my wife is from Philly and when we went back there, we went to that site.. I was expecting a well preserved huge park like they have out West here, but was surprised to see so much development around it.  

oooo it just dawned on me.. you are a hop and a skip from Pat's aren't you? drrroooooool ok, please mail me a Pat's cheesesteak please, thank you.

You married an East Coast girl?  Oh man, Im sorry.  :D

(forget the commedian...)

"West coast girls are great.  You give em a call, ask them what they want to do, and they say "Whatever you want to do ."  East coast broads are different... they know exactly what they want.  "Honey, what do you want to do tonight?"  (long Island accent) "We're going to the fair and youre gonna win me a frikken bear."  

LOL

Anyway - yeah there is alot of "development" in the area... they still cant figure out how to pave roads here - but Valley Forge is right here, and Gettysburg is only a two hour drive from Philly - thats probably more of what youre used to - open plains, etc.  It was neat to recognize the locations of various battles - Little Round Top, Cemetary Ridge, etc.  Hell, they even preserved most of the Union defensive positions (fenses, rock walls, etc)

As for Pats... I dunno how you expect me to mail a cheesesteak.  ;)