Author Topic: Will there be PAC planes??  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
Will there be PAC planes??
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2003, 01:04:43 AM »
I am one that would definitely like to see some more IJN and IJAAF planes in the game.  I need some more historical planes to kill while in my F6F.

I would like to see, in no particular order of importance:

A6M3 32 (the Hamp)
A6M3 22

B6N Jill
D4Y Judy (either inline or radial, no diff to me :))

Ki-27
Ki-43 (I would actually like to fly the Oscar a bit)
Ki-44
Ki-84 (Don't know why this isn't in yet - except for time issues and not many people like the PTO compared with the ETO)
Ki-100 (particularly if choice is between this and another Ki-61)

As far as bombers, I don't know much about them.  I would like to see a G4M Betty in here.

What I think is going on is this:
The reason for starting with the ETO is that it has a much more fleshed out plane set than the PTO.  Thus, while the ETO is running, they can fill in the PTO set (well, I can hope :)).  Also, most people in the US are more familiar with the ETO stuff (how many shows on the History Channel cover the PTO compared with the ETO?).  It makes more sense for them to start out with ETO than PTO.  I wish it were the other way around, but it isn't.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2003, 01:14:52 AM »
Puke,

I can't really buy that.  If you're into WWII aircraft enough to subscribe to a game like AH I can't see not having bothered to even buy a cheap, roughly accurate, reference like "The Illustrated Directory of Fighting Aircraft of World War II".  Sure, it isn't the most accurate or in depth book, but it does give a quick and dirty overview of a great many of these aircraft.

I never claimed these players are hostile to Japanese aircraft being added, which I made clear in the post above yours.  I think that these players are, as I also said in the post abpve yours, indifferent to Japanese aircraft being added.

And that is something I just can't really understand.  Our favorite aircraft need their antagonists or the play just doesn't work.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2003, 02:03:12 AM »
It is understandable, for the reasions he mentioned, not everybody is a plane geek, some guys watch baBa black Sheap as a kind and want F4U's Heck I did it was my favorate airplane till I started reading more on the Subject, it still is a favorate of mine, I just dont care to fly it:)

Also in the MA it does not realy mater to much what models are chosen, it is not untill we get to the CT or an event that it realy does and in the later case my gues would be not a huge percentage of the folks realy know about the finer points, look at the list of us debating this issue, how many new faces do you see in this thread? Batz dont count:) We may be the voical minority, perhaps on different sides of the fence howeaver we share the same pashion and are in more ways than we realise more alike in our desires than we may realise, While I dont look good in Blue, Mathman certainly does, but we do appricate the fit of the suit.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2003, 02:05:44 AM by brady »

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2003, 02:29:13 AM »
One other perhaps moot point is that it is prety easy for us to sit back and armchair quarter back all this, picking what planes to add and when would not be an easy thing to do and very much a damed if ya do type a thing.

Having said that I want what I want and I want it now:) I have an insatiable hunger for new Planes tanks, Boats whaterver from WW2 I want to Fly ride and Con any and every thing and blow the hell outa whats in my way, thats What AH is about for me the toys and using them, and seeing them behave as they did on the pages of the books on the shelvs around me.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2003, 07:35:05 AM »
I think more was read into a few early posts here than what the thought was on this subject. When I ask for more PAC planes I tend to think for the whole instead of what I call the "well it was on the carrier and enroute so it can be added" thought process.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2003, 09:59:16 AM »
I understand you are frustrated Karnak. Just know that some of us "U.S.N." types agree with you on an updated plane set.:D

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2003, 10:29:37 AM »
F4U,

ToD will run in different operational theaters including Pac, but obviously, you won't be able to fly an F4U in the BoB.

Originally posted by Batz
Some guys who plan "things" dont know the differences either.

Or folks thinking they can re skin a ju88 and sub it as a Peggy.

That's an ironic post.  Do you know what a Peggy is?

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2003, 10:46:10 AM »
Peggy is that tall red-haired lady married to Al?

Karnak,

I'm actually using myself as an example and I would say I'm more read up on WW2 aircraft than your typical American.  I don't have the book you mention, but I have plenty of others and still I do not have near the knowledge of Japanese aircraft as I do American.  I could propably speculate in more detail why I think this is, but will not.  For an example, I only know of one Japanese bomber and that is the Betty...I think it's a G4M or something.  I know we have a KI61 in here, but I have no clue it's name.  But I can name you at least ten American-made bombers.  And you know what, I prefer the Pacific Theater of combat to Europe!  In fact, I had in my signature "More Early War Pacific Aircraft" until we finally got he Wildcat, P-40s, A6M2 and Kate and then took it out because I figured it to be a first step in that direction.  

I do still think that when you see your normal person who makes comment on the board of what he wants, it's more a wish request...something he's a little familiar with and thinks would be "neat-O."  I have no clue what is *needed* on the Japanese side, but I do know we have some holes there and agree we need more from their plane-set.  Also, I've been told I have family members who have lost their lives and heard a lot of the stories and I think that may be why I personally have a little trouble flying any axis aircraft.  I just don't do it.  Or it's just that I like American Iron, I really do not know what it is.  And I'm not going to make a study of Japanese aircraft just so that I can make better suggestions to Aces High.  I do know this, I do want a green P-38 and an F6F-3 in the three-tone paint with red outline on the stars & bars.  A P-39 would be cool too... but that's because I am familiar with them and isn't a statement that I do not want more Japense aircraft.  I guess I'm rambling.... we aren't all that learned.  If I have an F1 racing game for the computer, it doesn't mean I'm gonna go buy a book and study the history of Formula 1 and all the manufacturers and not everyone in Aces High does similarly either.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2003, 10:50:18 AM by Puke »

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2003, 10:50:39 AM »
Ki-67:D

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2003, 10:58:20 AM »
That's an ironic post. Do you know what a Peggy is?

Ironic?

Actually it was a nothing more then a mis type I meant Betty, it was late when I made that reply. But even before the the ki-67 was in AH the ju88 stood in as different types of twin eng IJA/IJN bombers.

Some guys who plan "things" dont know the differences either.

This quote was about those who set plane match ups together for a variety of different "things".

Like subbing the Typhoon for a Beaufighter in the AK event. I can list other examples but that is what I was referring too.

Offline TheCollector

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2003, 11:15:55 AM »
IMHO, brady nailed it.  I want all the planes :)

No sub-group of the major planes is going to make everyone happy.

Personally it seems to me that the only ones really missing out of AH currently are:

Betty !!!
Ki84

B24 !!!

Do-17
He-111

Italian bomber  (Marchetti S.79 ?)

Russian bomber (TB-3 or Pe2?)

And then there's the stuff that would just be cool:
Boston-Boulton Defiant
Italian/Russian/British biplanes (Cr42, I-something?, Swordfish :)
F8F
B29
Me410
Ba349 Natter (hehe)
He-162
P-80
Comet
Do-335

My .02, to be muxed in w/ everyone else's ;)

The Collector "collctr"

Offline maxtor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2003, 11:37:24 AM »
anyway...back to subject of the thread.   The ETO planeset is much more complete, that alone is reason enough to start out in Germany.

i just hope this whole mission thing turns out to be popular - that isn't a given you know.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2003, 11:57:18 AM »
Pyro,

I would appreciate it if you would explain in more detail your plan for supported multi-theaters in AH2:Tour of Duty.    Will there be separate servers running ETO/PTO/Mediterranean theaters simultaneously?  Or will it be more like the current Combat Theater is set up, with weekly rotating theaters?

I think most players here who have a more than a superficial knowledge of the Pacific War would agree the Japanese planeset is too full of holes to support a proper PTO Tour of Duty.    Will the initial release of AH2 patch all the holes in the Japanese planeset (and the few holes in the US early war planeset as well: P-39, early P-38, TDB, etc).    Or perhaps will you wait and simply concentrate on the ETO for the first release and then release the PTO planeset sometime next year?  

Personally I became too frustrated waiting for the Ki.84, and when my Cougar died, it became more than I could stand-   I cancelled my account (Cougar is still out being repaired/replaced).  I'm following AH developments with great interest, but at this point I'm not hopeful at all that things will get any better soon for those players interested in Japanese aircraft.

Maybe I'll just have to become an ETO/MTO guy and forget the PTO?

Wishing you speed and success on your project,

Oboe
« Last Edit: January 31, 2003, 12:44:08 PM by oboe »

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2003, 01:44:43 PM »
CC,

Thanks for responding Pyro

Guess the BoB is when I'll be in the MA.

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2003, 02:27:44 PM »
Originally posted by Batz
I notice it.

Noticed what?
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/