Author Topic: So I pass some information and now I’m a whiner. Sure why not?  (Read 306 times)

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
So I pass some information and now I’m a whiner. Sure why not?
« on: November 15, 2001, 10:16:00 PM »
I log on tonight before squad training and get one up before the TA time.  I screwed up, didn’t take enough fuel, and started heading to a friendly base.

Hmmm, low con, low fuel, what the hell.  I dive shallow and start to catch up.  Icon show’s P38.  It slides.  Hmm, wonder if its me or not but I keep on track.  It slides again, then when I caught up it did once more.  Not really that big a deal and it really didn’t bother me much at the time.

Anyway, wasn’t much of a fight and I got some cannon rounds in the butt.  Kill awarded.  I let them know over open channel, after I checked my netstats, that he appeared to warp 3 times.  Not even a harsh remark, just a statement of information.  It didn’t bother me that I was dead.  I thought I was being helpful.  I get...

“go whine to HTC”

From someone I used to have respect for.  Damn shame.  It really makes a good argument for squelching 1 altogether.

Zippatuh

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: Zippatuh ]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2001, 10:19:00 PM »
Jeez, I remember when that used to be considered a "courtesy call". If a was warping and your ping/netstat was ok, a guy would usually respond that he would check his ping/stat.

Smooth planes in the arena benefit everyone.

I wouldn't worry about it Zip. You didn't do anything wrong.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2001, 10:57:00 PM »
Keyboards don't express tone.

If you lost the fight, it is tough to let the person know he was warping without sounding like a whiner.  Courtesy or not.  If you win it... it is much easier.

Just my observation from all on-line sims I've ever flown.

AKDejaVu

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2001, 12:31:00 AM »
What DJ said. I've been killed by warpy fellas before but didn't say anything 'cause I know how it looks. Now if I kill the warper, I let em know in a polite way.  :)

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2001, 06:04:00 AM »
I prefer people tell me when i warp.
I hate getting a kill just because i was warpy,,and not because i was amazing  :D

Dawvgrid

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2001, 07:42:00 AM »
Long ago I decided it was not worth the aggrevation to comment over the common channel that someone was warping. Regardless of who shot down who.  This is the internet. It's going to happen and happen a lot. All I do now is ask the friendlies around me if they saw the con warp too. If not then the bad connection is probably me. If they concur that the bogy was a warpy bastidge then I don't think about it again and I continue as I was.

Westy

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2001, 08:48:00 AM »
There has been alot of warpiness lately...perhaps that person had several messages over warpiness and relogged without any change.

When someone responds like that to me I speak to them on private.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2001, 09:08:00 AM »
I wish I warped.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
Yeah, I can understand and know that tone is hard to show in text.  Normally I wouldn’t have said anything for the reasons above.  You fought; you lost; now you’re whining about it.

It only irked me because I have had several good 1v1 fights with him in the past and thought that I had, I don’t know, something.  I thought some type of mutual respect or maybe just some sort of recognition.  If it were a nic that I didn’t know I wouldn’t have said anything because it wouldn’t of helped due to the “you fought – you lost” argument.

For only being online for 10 minutes last night it just kind of stuck wrong with me.  There also may have been something else going on before I arrived that I didn’t see that might have influenced this reaction in some way.

Oh, well.  Another day and fresh .50’s so to speak  ;).

Zippatuh

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2001, 01:49:00 PM »
Yea i saw that conversation go down.

He told you to whine to HT about the FM, because the stalling was causing the slide.

I had a same scenrio recently with a tempest driver, who i am now cool with. he was a few thousand feet below me and i watched him warp 4 times before i engaged (stupid me), when he disapeared from my vison from dead 12, i broke off from where he "was" and told him.. "hey temp your warping bad bro".

Of course he took it wrong and decided it was my lame jug flying, and not his "cable modem"..
--

I try not to tell people when they warp because everyone takes it so offensively.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2001, 02:01:00 PM »
I'm guessing the P38 driver was a vet of AH? Sad.

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2001, 02:19:00 PM »
If you dived on him, lost, he got smart with ya...hell, thats easy: Festabria. He's a salamander. Move on folks, nothin to look at here.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2001, 02:29:00 PM »
Negative Lizard..

He is a vet(lightening driver) and it doesnt really matter who it was, im sure he(Zippatuh) is just pointing out the princable of the matter.

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: Am0n ]

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2001, 04:03:00 PM »
It was me. And if Zipp had not squelched 1, he wouldve read where I asked him if he was seeing my plane twist on itself faster than a 190 (and we were at less than 180 mph in the fight). I see films of when that spin happens and it looks a LOT like a warp. I have people tell me in private that I warped and we nail down the moment (usually a few seconds b4 im shot down, that spin screws up your entire ACM) and always its when the damn spin happens.

I had "the spin" several times during the sciscor fight with him, so it looked obvious to me that the warps WERE that spin. Its like what people see when someone stick stirrs. A fast spin of the plane followed by a warp to either side (when the player recovers/controls spin and the plane has actually moved sideways/up or down before the other guy's FE updates.

You said I was warping, to check my connect. I said welcome to bs spin 101, go whine to htc ; )

Wasnt meant to call you a whiner. thus the ; )  .

If it caused ye any grief, it wasnt intentional.

With that said, GET AWAY FROM MY 38!!!  :)

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2001, 04:40:00 PM »
I didn’t have 1 squelched at the time.  Thinking back it’s possible that the only thing I saw from your text was about the “whine”, my bad if so.  I just really took it wrong at the time.

As far as staying away from your 38, I’m going to be all over it next time I see one.  For some reason seems like I owe you one!  ;)

Zippatuh