Author Topic: <S> Americans  (Read 3601 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2003, 08:41:50 AM »
dowding... I would have no problem meeting you for a beer except that I don't drink..  I am sure that we would have a good discussion.   I also did not use the internet till flight sims.

I don't hate the british.  I have been there and liked the people.  I hate a lot of things that are british just as you hate things that are American.   I think that it is simply more obvious on you because you are on a BB that is..... American.   I think that most Americans don't really think agbout england or europe in general much but I guess it is hard to ignore the U.S.  

I guess most of us are kinda shocked when people in europe that we don't even think about.... seem to dislike us so much and for such strange reasons...They actually care what we do with firearms in our own country?    Things like that.

Beetles threads were probly a shock to a lot of Americans who never really thought people in england might be envious.   We may come off as defensive but.... I believe that allmost all  posts are very defensive also (and I paraphrase)"yeah... but we were the greatest... beset by huge obstacles... only the british coulda"  

Plus... well... it's just so damn easy to jerk your chain.
lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2003, 08:44:28 AM »
Oh... twowolf... If you are born here or naturalized or.... simply feel you are (IMO) you are an American..  I don't think it can be proven that the American indian was the first to be here.   I know a lot of different Americans with a lot of different accents.
lazs

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
<S> Americans
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2003, 08:52:43 AM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
In time you may come to discover that the AH BBS natives will at least give yer dismembered carcass a decent burial after they rip your heart out and eat it.

Hang, can I have your permission to include this sentence in my signature?

:)

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2003, 08:57:26 AM »
Originally posted by Animal
Traitor! We saved your bellybutton during WWII!!! :mad:
And we visit Europe to see all the graves of our soldiers :(

ROTFL Animal...

Was thinking "there's something missing in this thread"...

;) :D

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2003, 09:06:37 AM »
Animal & Naso I know you're intelligent guys.

Can you help me with a history project?

I'm looking for evidence of a powerful nation, a nation not involved in starting major wars, that left so many dead soldiers in so many different foreign countries yet sent the soldiers not a conquerers but as liberators.

Nations that, in the wake of the conflicts, left free and independent behind them when their troops left?

Can you help me make a list of say... ten such nations in the history of man?

Thanks in advance.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2003, 09:16:06 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Animal & Naso I know you're intelligent guys.

Can you help me with a history project?

I'm looking for evidence of a powerful nation, a nation not involved in starting major wars, that left so many dead soldiers in so many different foreign countries yet sent the soldiers not a conquerers but as liberators.

Nations that, in the wake of the conflicts, left free and independent behind them when their troops left?

Can you help me make a list of say... ten such nations in the history of man?

Thanks in advance.

Sure, mate :)

1) NONE

2) NONE

and so on.

If you want to discuss why, i am open, but i am a little tired to become in instants the "public US enemy".

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2003, 09:17:42 AM »
Thank you, Naso.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2003, 09:23:43 AM »
You are welcome.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2003, 09:45:27 AM »
It certainly makes it easier for me to evaluate your future posts. That is why I thank you.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2003, 09:53:27 AM »
Oh yes Toad, and the US has been a stalwart defender of freedom since WWII. Always it has been humanitys best that is intended by the American administrations, and never have they given up a worthy goal of democracy for national interests. :D :D

Allende would agree with that, I am sure.

Notice: this is not a critique of Americans or America. It is a reality check; the US, as any other great power before them, has national interests as the top priority. Smae with EVERY other country in the world. if something altruistic can be obtained while securing national security, that is most excellent.

I agree with the human values of freedom, democracy and so forth. I also appreciate what the US has done to advance these causes. Yet I refuse to be blind to the fact that US administrations aren't altruistic entities in place to make the world a better place. They're there to make *the US* a better place, and if other places also are improved by their actions, all the better. Democracy and freedom aren't American inventions. The US has done much to advance it though, and occasionally done some dirty things to supress it (Allende is one example).

Same with Denmark, Sweden, the UK and whatnot.

Just want us to remain objective here.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2003, 10:14:47 AM »
I disagree Santa. of course.

I think we've done more for others with far less "national interest".

Objectively name some others that have done what we have done then Santa. Even with our missteps, faults and mistakes which we have, of course, made.

% of GNP hasn't been the most valuable thing this nation has given others by a long shot.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2003, 10:17:42 AM by Toad »

Offline bounder

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
<S> Americans
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2003, 10:27:20 AM »
Ohh what a long thread.

Great reading though.

Hortlund, very eloquent, although I too must take issue with (don't we always)

You know, I have to wonder if the Iraqis, or the ones squatting in caves in Afghanistan could ever even begin to dream about starting a space program, a program of exploration, to reach for the stars.

If you think about it, it is probably the Iraqis we have to thank for modern astronomy, without which we would be sending up spacecraft to pierce the plane of the fixed stars, or slow the suns orbit around the earth. It was partly their dreaming and wondering that set mankind upon this path three or four thousand years ago. Without doubt the US and the USSR ran with the baton recently, tossing it between, with the US eventually being the only runner (in manned exploration at least).

And forget reaching for the stars until we have solved some more theoretical problems on the ground (like how to exceed light speed).

Dowding, I owe you a pint. There I am reading through all these heartfelt s and general emetic love-in stuff and wallop! :

I think I actually might vomit.

What a relief.

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
<S> Americans
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2003, 10:37:37 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
It certainly makes it easier for me to evaluate your future posts. That is why I thank you.

Indipendently to the decision you have made about the evaluation of my posts (advice: before to start this kind of examinations, please say it, I will shave myself and bring my best suit on), you know I respect you and your opinions, even if I usually disagree, as I do with almost every poster here, even if they become personal.

I hope this post pass thru you before you activate the squelch function.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
<S> Americans
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2003, 10:46:26 AM »
Bounder - I probably would have too, if Hortlund hadn't turned his post into a swipe at the unwashed, intellectually inferior Iraqis and Afghanis. It just ruined his whole post for me and stopped any sentiments of 'yeah, that's right', dead in their tracks.

I must have been feeling especially like the archetypal Yorkshireman that day.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
<S> Americans
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2003, 10:51:32 AM »
Hmmm...from the outside looking in StSanta?  

My perspective from the inside looking out is one of frustration with the administrations undaunted outpouring of resources to other nations and allowing internal problems to fester without attention.
One would think a balance could be struck between the opposing viewpoints, and I hope one day it is.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com