Author Topic: Turning and speed!  (Read 491 times)

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Turning and speed!
« on: February 04, 2003, 08:18:24 AM »
I cannot seem to pull the turns that I see others doin easily and I cant figure out why. Even when I use the same planes that I see doin the dime turns I cant get it. What am I doing wrong? By the time I turn around after an enemy pass, he's already headed straight for me before I can get all the way around. This is annoying.

I'd also like to know how to keep my speed up. I know how to use the full throttle and the P-key, but I notice that the accelerator never moves off 1 for me. Is this normal or did I jes miss a button somewhere?

Thanx in advance for any help. ;)

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Turning and speed!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 08:38:15 AM »
S!

How is your fuel load vs opponent?
If you have 100% and your opponet have 25%, opponent have clear advantage over you.

About speed, turning & E-managment:
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/air_combat/energymgmt/index-pf.html

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Turning and speed!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 09:35:41 AM »
Are you turning "flat"?  Or are you using oblique turns?  (goin up or down as you turn)

Fuel load makes a big difference as well

Are you using flaps?  In some planes at certain speeds this will make a big difference as well.

Are you pulling hard enough to come close to blackout?

Are you going faster or slower than your opponent?

At optimum turn speed you will get your nose around quicker than if you are going to slow or too fast.

Lotsa reason..

SKurj

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
Turning and speed!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 09:41:35 AM »
in addition to what skurj asked...

is it poossible you have the stall limiter on? (setup/flight)

at what point are you starting your turn? the other guy may be doinga lead turn and starting it 500-1,000 yds out before you actually cross noses. this seems to me the matter of your situation.  if you wait too long to start your turn, the other guy might already be completing his.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
Turning and speed!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 11:51:19 AM »
Zroostr,

It sounds like you are somewhat new to reality based flight simm combat.

The first thing you might want to do is pick a A/C. Something to learn that is viceless with good perfromance.

1. La-7
2. Spit IX
3. F6F-5

Second you probably want to get a trainer. You can do that on the boards I believe. Not sure exactly how.

Third if your getting killed allot you should probably re-evaluate your tactics. The turning skills will come with practice. The most important mistake new pilots make is climbing to a fight. You should be diving to a fight. Make sure you have a altitude advantage before you engage. If you don't leave and comeback with one. That alone will win you some fights.

Fourth, join a squad. It helps protect you until you can get your wings under you and can be allot more fun and immersive with use of voice.

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Turning and speed!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 12:11:33 PM »
Originally posted by SKurj
Are you turning "flat"?  Or are you using oblique turns?  (goin up or down as you turn)

Sometimes it's either or. If I'm goin fast I try goin up. Slow I go down. But I also try a flat turn from time to time.

Fuel load makes a big difference as well

I'm usually at full since I have only been in TA so far and the tank is always at full.

Are you using flaps?  In some planes at certain speeds this will make a big difference as well.

Usually the flaps auto retract at a certain speed then dont wanna work.

Are you pulling hard enough to come close to blackout?

Yup. Sometimes total black.

Are you going faster or slower than your opponent?
[/b]

Hard to tell most times.

I'll have to work on this and use some of these tips to see if there's a diff.

Originally posted by Shane

is it poossible you have the stall limiter on? (setup/flight)

Yeah. I guess thats bad?

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
Turning and speed!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2003, 12:13:01 PM »
yeah, the stall limiter hurts your ability to get the most out of your plane's abilities in turning.

disable it, face a week or 3 of stall/spins of death and once you get past that hump.... things will fall into place and then you can enter your "damn HOs!!" phase.

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Turning and speed!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2003, 01:31:46 PM »
I wouldn't try the La7 quite yet, it's really not a good plane for a beginner and you'd like be frustrated with it fairly quickly.  Try a Spit V or Spit IX, both have very gentle handling and will allow you to progress on a familiar aircraft when you decide to go into the MA.  Both Spits are very common in the MA because they are both pretty good.

A lot of stall problems are related to unfamiliarity with planes that had low thrust as compared to a modern jet.  It takes a lot of time to replace energy, so extended turning will quickly put you in a position where you are slow and turning barely on the edge of stalling.  There are techniques to avoid that that you will likely experience as you learn.  I know when I first flew in AH I was amazed at how sluggish the planes felt, being unfamiliar with them, until I started to appreciate that everyone has the same issues and maneuvers can help extend your energy.

There are AH Trainers available in the TA and other people who can help you in there.  When you log in, look for someone in the AH Training Corp or ask on the radio for help.  I know in the evenings (North American time) that there is often someone there.  Unfortunately, we can't be there all the time.

-Soda
AH Training Corp
The Assassins.