Author Topic: Way to get more planes  (Read 283 times)

Offline N8DOG

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Way to get more planes
« on: February 17, 2003, 11:30:55 AM »
Everyone (myself included) wants more planes in the MA, my thinking is that if we get too many planes we will get to the point of everyone flying the same planes due to some of the planes being early war set and some are late war, and the newer the plane the better it is (most of the time). To keep this from happening why does AH rotate the plane sets kind of like AW did. For example, in the AK map fly early model land only planes, in the uterus map fly late model navy planes and limited land planes. IMO this would give a definte new feeling to each map, it would also help get rid of the LA7/P51/NIKI dominance on the game. Might be a little different if the only 51 was the B model, or there isnt any Navy planes available. Might add a whole new dimension to the game. I know nothing about programming but it seems like it would be easy to do.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Way to get more planes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 11:40:33 AM »
You won't see this happening, so don't hold your breath...

This actually works against the business.. players want to fly what they want, when they want, where they want.  Thats just what the MA is designed for.  Pleasing as many ppl as possible.

We have the Combat Theater for semi historical matchups, and the new ToD will have hopefully more historic matchups.  No need to mess with plane availability in the MA at all

SKurj

Offline jjdude

• Copper Member
Way to get more planes
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 01:04:22 AM »
if you want limited or historical plane sets check out the Combat Theater.. great historical setup, and nice plane sets.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Way to get more planes
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 01:35:24 AM »
For an example of what a rolling plane set will do, just check out the crowds of WB.

And as for the rolling plane sets in AW, the arenas that had the full plane set or Euro/Pac only plane sets were far more crowded than the AvA arenas.

ack-ack

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Way to get more planes
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 03:38:16 AM »
I agree that planes should be "rotated" in TOD ... but ...

I don't like "scripting". As much as I've seen the FAQ and posts that hint at players having "less effect" on TOD's "war" ... I would like to see a strategic element added to the game where players can influence the logistics, research and development behind the scenes.

This could be done actively with the players pooling what was once used as individual perk points in classic into a point pool for the development of specific planes, tanks or other vehicles. Each player alloting their share to develop a specific piece of equipment.

Or this could be done in a more passive way, with the total pointcount on one side or the other determining when the next level of planes and vehicles become operational for their side.

In either case, I would like to see the industrial centers be an important factor as well - with a minimum amount of indusrty and research facilities having to remain unmolested for a minimum amount of time before new planes and vehicles are introduced. This sets a minimum time for one side or the other to "rotate up" but no maximum.

As you can see, it leaves the possibility for one side to introduce newer planes and vehicles before the other side does. Yet one more dimension added.

But ... hey ... :D

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Way to get more planes
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 06:01:20 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo
I agree that planes should be "rotated" in TOD ... but ...

I don't like "scripting". As much as I've seen the FAQ and posts that hint at players having "less effect" on TOD's "war" ... I would like to see a strategic element added to the game where players can influence the logistics, research and development behind the scenes.

This could be done actively with the players pooling what was once used as individual perk points in classic into a point pool for the development of specific planes, tanks or other vehicles. Each player alloting their share to develop a specific piece of equipment.

Or this could be done in a more passive way, with the total pointcount on one side or the other determining when the next level of planes and vehicles become operational for their side.

In either case, I would like to see the industrial centers be an important factor as well - with a minimum amount of indusrty and research facilities having to remain unmolested for a minimum amount of time before new planes and vehicles are introduced. This sets a minimum time for one side or the other to "rotate up" but no maximum.

As you can see, it leaves the possibility for one side to introduce newer planes and vehicles before the other side does. Yet one more dimension added.

But ... hey ... :D

I'd like to see a strat system where you can bomb the ball bearing factories in the Rhineland or the oil fields in Romania or even British factories and have some type of effect on the war effort.  Of course the favorite German targets would be the Spitfire factories but hey, that's war.

ack-ack