Author Topic: Runwulfs  (Read 1164 times)

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2003, 03:19:27 PM »
Try flying a p47 Tim...The enemy planes always seem to come back for the fight.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
Runwulfs
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2003, 04:44:12 PM »
Originally posted by SirLoin

LOL! I know that's right... :D

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Runwulfs
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2003, 04:59:49 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
Its not so hard.  I just grab an A8 and kill'em with an HO at the first merge.

Until you run into someone that knows a little ACM and easily avoids your HO and shoots you down with ease because all you do is maneuver for the HO.  Another easy kill for those with some knowledge of ACM.

ack-ack

Offline AGJV44_Rot 1

• Copper Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2003, 11:11:34 PM »
Not sure what people think of my 190 tactics but I will run if I have to against a La-7 until I am sure it will be a 1-1 and then progress into fast to slow scissors.  If I see the pilot won't bite there really is no problem out running him after that.  Only way you can turn with a la-7 is the first turn low and slow and your on his 6 around 250-300.

Offline TimRas

• Nickel Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2003, 12:29:35 AM »
Originally posted by SirLoin

I have tried P-47 too (like 190 and most of the other planes). Are there anybody successful with it (as a fighter) ? It has poor climb, acceleration, mediocre top speed at low alt and turns like a dump truck at low speeds. And when you try to get speed by diving, you have to trim it to get out of it if ( like 109). Even as attacker there are better alternatives IMO.

TimRas (handle the same).

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2003, 12:49:08 AM »
Its kinda funny how people that labeled the P-51 as a "runstangs" can so easily justify the same strategy in a 190.

Simple.

Hunstangs don't travel in hoardes, carry 2000 lbs load and 6 HVARs, make a dive from 20k, wreck bases in a lemming rush and go home.

Given the same qualities, runstangs have much better multiple purpose capablities, and they are also higher in fame. Thus, all sorts of dorks fly it in massive numbers, where their concept of 'dogfight' is make a 500mph gun-blazing pass and run straight home after that.

It's the sheer numbers of them flying around that gives reason to the people for their cynicism.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2003, 01:52:31 AM »
I run all the time when I up a 190. Hey when you think about it that's what they were DESIGNED to do ... evade Ponies and kill bombers. If I get something as dangerous as a Lala on my six ... I run like a kid being chased by Michael J. The trick is to reverse the chase when the other guy gives up and turns back to his preferred furball, offering you a snapshot at him.

Hey ... I suckered a Niki last night, could that have been you? He dove in on my10 o'clock and I just did an inverted spilt-S and ran, dragging him for another friendly who promptly shot him down a minute later.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2003, 03:11:04 AM »
Go fly a real plane then try again TimRas, ;)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Runwulfs
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2003, 03:25:53 AM »
Originally posted by akak
You'll find a lot of players that just run in the P-51, even when they hold the advantage, either in altitude or energy, just like you'll see a lot do the same in the La7 and Focke-Wulf.

I personally think the runners are a bunch of skill-less dweebs with no balls.  It's not that I expect an E fighter to turn with my P-38, it's that I just expect the eunich in the running plane to fight period, especially if they have the advantage.  Nothing makes me poke more fun at anyone than seeing some dweeb with an advantage grow timid and run.

Ack-Ack

Heh ... 38's are my favourite prey in both the 190 and the 109, second only to the F4U. You won't see me running from you ... at least not for any lenght of time. ;)
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Runwulfs
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2003, 04:59:54 AM »
109's and 190's are my favorite prey in an f4u;)
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2003, 05:42:06 AM »
Hey Sixpence! If you're a F4U stick that likes to tangle with LW, let's do a little 1:1, what do you say? Would be fun no matter who wins! :)

Btw. is your in-game handle Sixpence also? (sorry if you're an Uberpilot I should have known about, I'm just terrible with names. ;))

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2003, 06:03:31 AM »
Originally posted by TimRas
I have tried P-47 too (like 190 and most of the other planes). Are there anybody successful with it (as a fighter) ? It has poor climb, acceleration, mediocre top speed at low alt and turns like a dump truck at low speeds. And when you try to get speed by diving, you have to trim it to get out of it if ( like 109). Even as attacker there are better alternatives IMO.

Tim,try %25 gas with drop tank,6 mgs low ammo in p47....It climbs ok,accelerates good,very good top speed and turns inside every E plane and with good flap usage 109s and la7's...I like it cause evryone thinks its an easy kill till you sucker them in..Muhaha!
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Scootter

• Silver Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2003, 08:28:19 AM »
TimRas:

Have a go with Frenchy or Ammo or Strange or even Sancho and I think you will be a bit more impressed with the Jug. You need to really learn the plane to extract all you can, I'm still trying and have a long way to go. I watch my squad mates and am amazed by what they can do with the Jug.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2003, 02:00:58 PM by Scootter »

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2003, 10:43:27 AM »

You haven't met Frenchy yet then.... lol

Him and his wingy make you shake your head in the tower 2 minutes later everytime :)

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2003, 11:36:36 AM »
Originally posted by TimRas
I have tried P-47 too (like 190 and most of the other planes). Are there anybody successful with it (as a fighter) ?

You betcha! Check in with the 56th FG sometime, they are the true P-47 experts. My squad’s planes for February are the P-47 and Typhoon. Neither is renowned for their dogfighting ability, yet both pack a huge wallop. My squad is running up terrific kills stats with these two aircraft. I find that flying the Jug requires greater aggressiveness than most aircraft. This largely due to the fact that you really can’t afford to waste any opportunity or advantage when flying the Thunderbolt, especially below 15,000 feet. I’m really enjoying taking on anything with the P-47 having learned enough to fly it effectively. No, you can’t stallfight with Spits and N1K2s, but you can rock and roll with Doras, Mustangs, Corsairs, Tiffies and late model 109s. As for those turnfighters mentioned above, just get some alt and fall on ‘em like a house. :D

As Ammo and Frenchy routinely demonstrate, a well-flown Jug can clean house.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.