Author Topic: B-25 w/ 75mm gun  (Read 381 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
B-25 w/ 75mm gun
« on: February 18, 2003, 02:57:31 PM »
Howdy,

I'd like to request consideration be given to adding the B-25H w/ the 75mm nose gun.  It was traditionally used for anti-shipping missions.

Thanks!
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline EDO43

• Copper Member
B-25 w/ 75mm gun
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 03:53:24 PM »
True, B-25J was used against ships but primarily unarmored merchant ships.  The Ships in AH wouldn't be affected, or let's put it this wa; shouldn't be affected.
Mawey -a-  tsmukan

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
B-25 w/ 75mm gun
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 04:03:18 PM »
The 75MM wouldnt do too well here. data suggests ("data," pertains to first-hand accounts I heard from the men who flew them) that the trim characteristics were all shot to hell in low ammo / low fuel conditions. It was not fun to fly, to say the least.

Besides, where would Yossarain sit?  :)

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
B-25 w/ 75mm gun
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2003, 04:12:02 PM »
Originally posted by Red Tail 444
Besides, where would Yossarain sit?  :)

I don't think he'd mind.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
B-25 w/ 75mm gun
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2003, 04:49:18 PM »
It'd be a kick to use this against GVs....  Have an HE and AP loadout.  HE to use against soft GVs, and AP rounds for hotshots to use against Tigers and Panzers.  
:D
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
B-25 w/ 75mm gun
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2003, 06:54:24 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
It'd be a kick to use this against GVs....  Have an HE and AP loadout.  HE to use against soft GVs, and AP rounds for hotshots to use against Tigers and Panzers.  
:D

Apparently the only way to shoot the thing was to come in on a long, low sighting run and it loaded so slowly it was a pain in the butt.

Bombs far more effective.

Sakai
"The P-40B does all the work for you . . ."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
B-25 w/ 75mm gun
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2003, 07:17:32 PM »
Remember, the 75mm gun was loaded manually.  It was not an autogun.

The Mosquito FB.Mk XVIII would be much easier to add and it had an automatic 57mm cannon.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
B-25 w/ 75mm gun
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2003, 07:21:20 PM »
My stepfather was a co-pilot of one in N Africa during WWII. The only GV kill they got was by knocking the track off a tank with a near miss. He said that hitting anything smaller than a ship was very difficult but not impossible.

He also said that the recoil was significant and that it felt like the plane would stop in mid air.

That said I think that, if introduced to AH it would be a real GV killer since us virtual flyiers have much, much more practice at shooting maneuvering objects than they had.

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
B-25 w/ 75mm gun
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2003, 07:47:20 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak

The Mosquito FB.Mk XVIII would be much easier to add and it had an automatic 57mm cannon.

Yes, but didn't they make like 20-30 of those?  Didn't the cannon and loading mechanism weigh an enormous amount?  What would it handle like?  

Certainly should be aeasier to model tho!

How many Henschler 129s were built?  Didn't some of those have serious cannon?

Sakai
« Last Edit: February 19, 2003, 07:49:55 PM by Sakai »

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
B-25 w/ 75mm gun
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2003, 05:49:38 AM »
I read that the Mosquito fitted with the Molins 57mm gun was replaced by Mosquitos fitted with rockets.  Dunno if this was true?

As for the B25, I'd like to see several variants of the B25 including the 75mm version.  Bring 'em on! :)
NEXX

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
B-25 w/ 75mm gun
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2003, 05:52:56 AM »
Originally posted by Replicant
I read that the Mosquito fitted with the Molins 57mm gun was replaced by Mosquitos fitted with rockets.  Dunno if this was true?

As for the B25, I'd like to see several variants of the B25 including the 75mm version.  Bring 'em on! :)

Absolutely.  I would love a patch that modeled the important medium bombers we don't have:  the B-25. He-111, Pe-2, Il-4, SM 79 (or Cant Z1007), the Wellington.  

Sakai

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
B-25 w/ 75mm gun
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2003, 05:04:44 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak

Not only was it manual-load, when it fired, the pilots had the sensation of the plane coming to a complete stop due to the recoil...sadly, AH cannot model this effect.

Gainisie

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
B-25 w/ 75mm gun
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2003, 05:06:40 PM »
Originally posted by MrLars
My stepfather was a co-pilot of one in N Africa during WWII. The only GV kill they got was by knocking the track off a tank with a near miss. He said that hitting anything smaller than a ship was very difficult but not impossible.

He also said that the recoil was significant and that it felt like the plane would stop in mid air.

That said I think that, if introduced to AH it would be a real GV killer since us virtual flyiers have much, much more practice at shooting maneuvering objects than they had.

<---note to self....read the whole friggin thread before submitting :rolleyes: